PDA

View Full Version : brake force

psbarham
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
in case anyone thought decent brakes just arn't worth spending the money on then heres the proof to change your minds

i had the dreaded mot done tonight and the brake force was quite impressive, last years results wern't bad 385 and no lock up,on standard vr4 discs calipers pads and v6 master cyl, this year its got the carbotechs mintex grooved discs and evo 8 master cyl and it recorded 502 and then locked.........on cold pads :o , quite an improvement i think and money well spent i think :pimp2:

miller
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Mines in tomorrow to have mintex pads onto the standard discs, will the mechs do the test to provide this info anyways or is it an MOT time only? ie will i look an ass for asking?
So 385 is norm then? What is that measurement in? pounds/sq inch?

Mike

Nick Mann
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't think they can measure a 4WD car on a 2WD brake force machine - this puts massive stress on the 4WD system, as only 2 wheels are turning.

AFAIK the MOT station will have to do a 'road test' if they want to check the brakes.

stuartturbo
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
correct
Our local mot drives the car into the bay jam the brakes on and measure the force with a decelerometer

miller
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Ah so is the V6 FWD only? Prob why i asked the question, somewhere in the depths of my mind i had the decelerometer pic in my head and was wondering how on earth do they get a pressure figure off that:speechles

Learn something new every day :scholar:

Mike

ianturbo
05-01-2008, 02:07 AM
my M.O.T chap has only a 2WD brake tester ,i think he just takes car on a run and see if they work !! any advice on this as mine is due in Feb :thinking:
ian