PDA

View Full Version : Quick AYC question

Subaru ETA
05-01-2008, 03:37 AM
has anyone noticed that when there car is quite heavily loaded the ayc seems alot more sensitive?

coming back from the batch yeaterday with 4 people plus a boot full of stuff the ayc seemed to be flicking one bar quite abit. for example, going around a corner with 2 bars, straighten up and about 4 sec later 1 bar would come on.

dropped everyone off and with 2 of us in it it was fine

tyre pressures are all good, i put 35 psi in the rear to compensate the extra load i was carrying.

tyre pressures are all good, i put 35 psi in the rear to compensate for the load.

d i c k i e s
05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
didnt really notice on my trip full of bags, bike etc up north and back. seemed alright, only see a bar light up when im throwing the car into the corner. but thats hardly every when the load is full.

Ryan
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Hmm, I suspect that the greater the load, the greater the tendency the car has of yawing due to the added momentum. I don't know about in a straight line though, that seems odd.

bradc
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I've found that when the car is loaded it tends to oversteer more, typically because the more load you put in, the more weight will be at the back.

Subaru ETA
05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
yeah but due to my current demeerit point situaltion i wasnt pushiing it all that hard.

i remember i couple of weeks ago when i was parking at work where the driveway is on a slope it did the same thing at like 3km/h. i checked the tyre pressures then and it was all ok.

when im back at work on monday ill check there is no crap on the wheel speed sensors or anything

miller
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
The car does seem to handle a LOT different with loads in it. Feels so weird when you first set off. Never really noticed the AYC lighting up in straight line though.

Mike

bradc
05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I get the ayc lights coming up regularly at low speed in car parks and on funny angles and stuff. I think it is because the rear wheels barely touch the ground on some angles and the ayc kicks in because it doesn't understand what is going on.

Subaru ETA
06-01-2008, 02:42 AM
yeah i was thinking about it being because its lowered and changing the geometry might cause this at low speed.

when its wet i can get it to light up 2 lights when nailing it it in a straight line :D

HowieP
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
My understanding of AYC bears out your findings as with more weight towards the back the front will lighten (as a proportion of the total). This causes a greater tendency to understeer so the AYC steps in and torques-up the outside rear wheel to counteract it.

I always have a laugh when people talk about how to quell understeer in their 4wd cars by lifting off, "I put my foot down" I tell them...

Howard