PDA

View Full Version : suspected drop damage

omar
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
we recently got puncture repaired when the guy was letting the car down off the jack he didn't ease it down he dropped it off the jack which seemed pretty severe when we left the yard car was pulling badly to the right checked the tyre pressure and they were fine, found out today that the damper is totally shot on that corner (front passenger).

question is would the drop off the jack be enough to burst the damper?

bear in mind there was a catalogue of errors including nuts being threaded wrong and i suppose what i'm trying to say is this guy seems really incompetent.

ANTHONY
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
the problem you may have is proving that they did do any thing wrong. did you say anything the manager at the time ?

bradc
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I think Anthony is right, it is going to be impossible to prove anything, unless you mentioned it to them at the time and they acknowledged it.

omar
05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
they are fully aware that there was something wrong with the car soon after we left the garage but they passed it off as tracking.they treaded 3 wheel nuts wrong with an air gun cause'n the studs to snap(not on the same wheel) this is a long and messy story with a catalog of errors and i'm going to ring them in the morning and see what they say. but the point been is it posible to burst a damper by dropping it off a jack without care

Nick Mann
06-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Personally, I would say that if dropping the car off the jack caused the damper to burst, it was on its way out anyway. I have no scientific proof for that, but I would imagine that hitting a pothole at 40/50 mph is far more severe and I have never heard of catastrophic damper failure before, let alone coming off a jack?

/Edit - is it a front corner? Has the bottom of the shock pushed through the mounting socket?

Subaru ETA
06-01-2008, 03:01 AM
yeah dropping it off a kack aint gonna stuff a shock unless it was munted already.

it could also be what nick has stated above....

Fully
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I hate people that treat cars like this and mostly machanics that do they should know better. But to snap studs off that just incompatence, I've never used a inpact wrench to put nuts on, you hand thread them to start with. It's no faster, and its less productive if you.

omar
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
didn't bother to ring these guys back, i'm gona wait till i have some time at the weekend and have a look myself.Nick i'm assuming that if the shock has pushed through i'll spot it handy enough if i stick my head under and have a look..