PDA

View Full Version : Took of the oil cap today and found this

bradc
06-01-2008, 05:57 AM
I was changing the oil today, since July it has had Valvoline 10w40 in it which made it tick like mad (and had been in there for approx 17 months and 4000km, changed by mitsi it was BLACK), in October I got around to changing it to Pennzoil 5w40 and did about 1000km on it (still ticking like mad and came out black), before I changed it in the start of December along with an Amsoil filter to about a 50/50 mix of Castrol Edge 5w30 and Pennzoil 5w40 (ticked for 10-20 seconds after startup). Drained that out today after another 500km - was darkish brown and I was surprised to see the engine was so fresh and clean. There are no deposits on it at all and it looks like it is in absolutely brand new. All of the molding marks are as fresh as and very clearly readable, and I can even see the tappet spring from the oil filter hole, it is shiney and silver and again looks new.

Today after I dropped the oil I poured about 0.5l of Amsoil 5w30 left over from an oil change done on the White VR-4. Then I put another Amsoil filter on and filled it up with about 4.5L of the best, Amsoil 0w30 :D

First start up no ticking, at all :D

I also learnt a new trick, the Amsoil filter that I had put on before by hand was impossible to undo by hand. I got a piece of sand paper from a belt sander, put that around the filter on the car with the grit on the filter, one turn and it came undone, definitely going to make sure I have some sand paper around for next time!

pungatree1
06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Brad - I am getting a service done on Friday while I am up in Auckland and was wondering where you can get Amsoil 0w30 from for the engine oil change? Does it take long to order in and roughly how much would I need? Also do they do filters too and again how much?

Cheers

Mark

Ryan
06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
My dad taught me that sandpaper trick - it certainly does work a charm!

snickells
06-01-2008, 09:51 AM
From the title, I thought you'd found something foreign like a gerbil!

How boring...

bradc
06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
punga - www.jdmlubricants.co.nz their filters and all of their oils are good :) You can buy just about everything you need for lubing your VR-4 from there.

Ryan - well I figured it out on my own :)

Steve - well it got your attention which was my intent.

6a13
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I also learnt a new trick, the Amsoil filter that I had put on before by hand was impossible to undo by hand. I got a piece of sand paper from a belt sander, put that around the filter on the car with the grit on the filter, one turn and it came undone, definitely going to make sure I have some sand paper around for next time![/QUOTE]

Thank you!!
Genius :scholar:

I changed to Amsoil ow-30 series2000 with a mitzi filter about a month ago and it's been a return to silent running ever since.
I had tappet noise but the old oil wasn't really badly coloured, so I put in the Amsoil engine flush and was shocked at the crap that came out.
I noticed a difference in smoothness and quietness straight away.
Another convert.

Goku
07-01-2008, 05:27 AM
What oil filter do we have to order from them, I can't get a cross over reference

bradc
07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
it is eao20

Oblivion
07-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Yes!! Finally I can use a good oil filter, :afro: I didnt know Amsoil made them so I had resorted to using crappy repco ones /pan . Trust/ GReddy used to do some for our cars but dont think they do any more :(

bradc
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

"98.7 percent at 15 microns"

most filters struggle below 20 microns, so thats pretty good

amsoil
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Its even better than it first appears as the graph of the EAO filters ability to capture particles carries on to below the 1 micron mark! Granted its only effective at about 10% ish (from memory) but with 10 passes, or a couple of minutes running....... Stunning. especially when you consider that it flows with much less resistance and can capture 5 times the crap! Only Honda has really taken notice of this new type of filter and are starting to produce something similar.

Fully
07-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Dude that looks very clean!

So you are saying that amsoil has cleaned all the build up from your motor?
or have you used something else to remove all that black build up?
Cause there is plenty in mine.

bradc
07-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm not too sure what cleaned it. I had one lot of semi synth in there for 1000km and another lot for 500km, it's never had amsoil in it before. Maybe the frequent oil changes got it clean?

Kenneth
07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
looks fairly standard to me... All my VR-4s have looked like that when you look though the filler cap.

Fully
08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
I did the oil/filter change when I first got the car.
I just done another one after 5200 km, it was still lightish brown colour, replaced it with castrol magnatech 10/30.

d i c k i e s
08-01-2008, 02:40 AM
is this what you use brad?

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/0w-30(2000).html

bradc
08-01-2008, 05:30 AM
yep, thats the stuff. available from jdmlubricants.co.nz

Goku
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Mine is clean as, you open the filler cap after it has been sitting for a while and it's completely clean. I mean like only just the hint of oil can be seen.

MarkSanne
09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
At this very moment my VR2 is serviced: new PS-Iida downpipe is getting fitted, the custom ACT clutchkit finally gets installed and it's getting a full service.

About 8 months ago (I think) I replaced the oil filter (standard mitsu) with the Amsoil eao20 filter and the 0W-30 Amsoil (before that I used full synthetic Kroon oil). Tappet noise was gone almost completely, at least never before was it this silent! About two months later I added a FilterMag to the oilfilter. This is half-round shaped magnet that you simply snap onto the oilfilter side and is supposed to hold the (very) tiny bits of steel material in the oilfilter.

Although the amsoil oil filter is capable of much longer use (only done about 8000-9000km's), I will have it replaced, and I will try to get the thing opened up to see how much debree is in there and is captured by the FilterMag, just very curious about this!

The workshop will replace the oilfilter and oil again with the fantastic Amsoil oil & oilfilters. It costs me quite a buck (plus having it shipped in from the UK to the Netherlands) but it is worth every cent!

pungatree1
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Going to collect some amsoil products tomorrow while in Auckland getting the car serviced. Approximately how much engine oil will I need (in litres) and how much ATF fluid will I need also to change both of these?

peter thomson
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Just under 5litres for the engine and 12 litres for a full flush and fill of the gearbox

bradc
10-01-2008, 09:17 AM
yep, what Peter said

pungatree1
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
thanks Peter - will try amsoil in the engine first along with one of their filters - 12 litres for the atf is going to be costly at the moment so will save up for that one! Thanks for the quick reply

MarkSanne
10-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Yesterday I opened up the used Amsoil filter. The oil was quite dark, but there was no real sludge/residu. Waht I now could see (and feel) was the 'over'-pressure relief which can only be seen when the oilfilter is cut open.

Only other thing I could see is a very fine/thin band of very tiny something (metal parts I guess) which were shaped in the form of the half-round FilterMag magnet. I wonder what the real contribution of it is, because these particles might have also got captured into the oil filter? On the other hand, that would keep the oilfilter cleaner so preventing from getting clogged.

amsoil
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Given that the new Amsoil filters are so very good and can collect 5 times more than normal filters + they can filter out particles below 1 micron and at 18Microns be 98.7% efficient in 1 pass ..... I don't think a magnet is necessary other than to accumulate some of the metalic particles in a viewable area (assuming you want to view) Bottom line being that if the magnet wasn't there the filter would collect the particles.

Goku
10-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Awww man, I just read the discount we get from Amsoil here in NZ, and you only get it if you collect it from the store ><

Curses.

MarkSanne
11-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I think so too Don. But then the FilterMag does look kinda cool with it's shiny outer shell and it costed me around 30 euro, so I'll keep it on the car, 'just for show' (as if anybody can look to the underside of my ridiculously lowered G...) ;)

nismoevo
13-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Does Amsoil 0w30 works in summer time also? or is it an "Winter OIL"?

Kieran
13-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Does Amsoil 0w30 works in summer time also? or is it an "Winter OIL"?

It's fine in the summer. If you look in the Japanese handbook, that states a 5w-30. Seems they do need quite thin oil anyway.

amsoil
13-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Amsoils 0w-30 is a very trick oil with a film strength superior to a 40 weight oil (for which you pay a premium price) It is also superior to any 5w-30 I have come across in every repect. It is good for all year as the 0w only really comes into play on starting up. Don'r think that the fact that an oil will 'flow' at -40 or -50 degrees means that its for winter or Arctic use; this flow bit is in the scientific / chemists sense, ie if you turn a glass full of the oil on its side then after a period you will see some kind of movement! The oil is flowing! This is brought to you by the kinds of people who will tell you that glass is a liquid, and is not too relevant in an engine. What is of use is knowing that the oil can be easily pumped to the bearings even when cold.

Kieran
13-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Seeing as you mention bearings Don.... Why don't car lubrication systems have a oil primer device so that the bearings are hydrodynamic before the engine is cranked? Surely that would knock out most of the startup wear?

Or, as I suspect, is it just down to cost and the fact that if the engine lasted longer, a manufacturer would struggle to sell new cars?

amsoil
13-01-2008, 02:17 AM
You have it in one; also some wear is caused by parts not being at operating temperature and so the clearances not being correct when cold. Oils primers are available from Amsoil, Canton Mecca and Accusump. Not only is the cost an issue but also where you will have the space to fit such a unit.

bradc
13-01-2008, 10:25 AM
thinking about something, the 0 in 0w30 is obviously just an arbitary measurement. What happens when Amsoil can formulate something that is better than that on cold starts? Do we go into minuses -5w30?

matsondawson
13-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Amsoils 0w-30 is a very trick oil with a film strength superior to a 40 weight oil (for which you pay a premium price) It is also superior to any 5w-30 I have come across in every repect. It is good for all year as the 0w only really comes into play on starting up. Don'r think that the fact that an oil will 'flow' at -40 or -50 degrees means that its for winter or Arctic use; this flow bit is in the scientific / chemists sense, ie if you turn a glass full of the oil on its side then after a period you will see some kind of movement! The oil is flowing! This is brought to you by the kinds of people who will tell you that glass is a liquid, and is not too relevant in an engine. What is of use is knowing that the oil can be easily pumped to the bearings even when cold.

Funnily enough, from what I've read glass isn't a liquid, the old mishapen windows are a side effect of the way windows used to be produced...

Turbo_Steve
13-01-2008, 04:11 PM
That's probably true of the mishapen windows, but the Glass being a liquid thing is one of those "Scientific points of interest" kids get taught at school.
It's apparently the subject of some scientific controversy.

We were taught that glass is a liquid tending towards being an amorphous solid: it depends how you measure the change of state (er..phase change, from memory, but that sounds a bit Star Trek to me?)

My teach had a bit of a bee in her bonnet about it, to be honest. Apparently there isn't a clear chemical definition of what consitutes "Glass" anyway.

So that's cleared that up.....oh no it hasn't. Science: the art of asking questions.

Kieran
13-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Only on ClubVR-4 could you go from the state of Brad's engine to whether glass is a fluid or not, stopping off on the way to ask about Oil primers! /haz :iloveyou:

bradc
13-01-2008, 07:47 PM
we haven't talked about boobs yet :)

ANTHONY
13-01-2008, 08:04 PM
ok amsoil running down a nice pair of boobs /Hmmm

Turbo_Steve
13-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Pressed against some glass.

Ryan
14-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a possible music video here :)

Turbo_Steve
14-01-2008, 09:15 PM
This kinda thing?

[Snip! I think you can guess where this link went! ;) -K ]

er...edited to add that that's not work safe or family friendly or any of those things.

Kieran
14-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Errr - I think we'll let people use their imagination on that one Steve ;) /lol

Snip!

ANTHONY
14-01-2008, 10:43 PM
imagination is a wonderful thing

amsoil
15-01-2008, 12:11 AM
As clearly illistrated on Club VR4 ! LOL

Turbo_Steve
15-01-2008, 11:44 AM
:D :D :D :D :D
I'm still imagining now.
I probably will be for quite some time.

(hums "Working at the car wash") Hardly the ultimate detailing tool, though:
Nobody likes a smeary windscreen.

Goku
18-01-2008, 02:20 AM
lol, I saw that link... very umm... nice sponges there :D

Kenneth
18-01-2008, 02:44 AM
[Snip! I think you can guess where this link went! ;) -K ]

:inquisiti It SHOULD have gone to the committee forum /pan /haz

Beastlee
23-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Thead from the dead time.

Just thought I'd post up my finidings, I've used Amsoil since I bought the car and during recent investigations realised what wonder it had done. When I first bought it all the surfaces were matt black with deposits, now it's like this :

amsoil
25-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Thank you for taking the trouble to post the pic up here Lee,
All oils are not equal, whilst I did manage to convert many VR4 owners to the best oil a while ago our business policy is not to continually pester people with a view to selling more product. It might 'educate' new club members but older ones can get fed up with the pushing (or preaching to the converted). The fact that an oil just about meets the minimum specifications does not mean it is the best oil for your pride and joy. We have engines stripped after 250,000 and 400,000 miles that look like new internally never mind a race engine with 23-24 years service again looking internally like it had just been built. We have a Volvo owner who had now clocked up 600,000 miles and still going strong, (you can find him on VOC)
Others make claims Amsoil publishes verified test results.
I am frankly surprised that more VR4 owners are not using Amsoils ATF in their auto boxes, it would prevent nearly all the failures the boxes are known for.
:guitarist

Beastlee
25-07-2011, 07:32 PM
No problem Don, I am always willing to sing the praises of a good product. I can't say if the car runs better or not for using Amsoil as I've never done any scientific tests, but I can certainly claim that the internals are nice and clean which can only be good for it! I'd still swear by the stuff although I need to work out what the Merc will need as I have a very expensive feeling coming on :)

horndog
25-07-2011, 08:12 PM
..........I need to work out what the Merc will need ...........

You got a replacement then?

Beastlee
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Looks like I'll be going the C32 route.

Ryan
25-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Others make claims Amsoil publishes verified test results.

Could you please link to these results? The only 'verified' results I've found have been ones that Amsoil themselves have published.