PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulb changing

steve the pirate
06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I was in halfords and decided to replace the std bulbs all round as some seem to be a bit dim.have done all rear end and wow.had a quick look at the front headlight arrangement.Does anyone know aneasy way to change the main beam and side lights easily?
I have done other cars with no probs but it looks a bit more to it this time.
thanks in advance

SGHOM
06-01-2008, 10:17 AM
4 screws, & take the headlight out. trust me..... you have to unless you've got plenty of plasters in the house !! /Grrr

thecrazyfish
06-01-2008, 10:29 AM
i agree, its so much easier to take the headlight assembly out then remove the bulbs. there's bugger all room down there with battery on one side and the aircon on the other.

steve the pirate
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
thanks.I guessed that it may come to that.will try when its not so cold that I cant hold the screwdriver.

peter.nilsson83
06-01-2008, 02:33 PM
It's a bitch the first couple of times, then it gets easier.
Just take of the rubber caps, leads, undo the locking springs, and remove the bulb.
Do however take a note as to how the bulb is rotated (Don't know a better word right now, but you have a couple of bits sticking out the side of the bulb for proper fitment.). Otherwise you'll just like me spend the next 15 minutes cursing over "modern cars". Looking through the headlights glass to make sure you're all lined up is also helpful.

bigsed
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I did my sidelights recently and was dreading it after reading up on here. I decided to try and get them out without removing the headlight assembly. With fingers I could not do it, butwith ,long nose pliers it was easy. With the main blub removed use the pliers so that one side is on the clip and the other is against the bulb body (it wont break so dont worry, just squeeze it in gently and the bulb pops right out.
I will do some photos sometime on my method, took a few minutes to do both sides!

g8legnum
08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Do however take a note as to how the bulb is rotated (Don't know a better word right now, but you have a couple of bits sticking out the side of the bulb for proper fitment.). Otherwise you'll just like me spend the next 15 minutes cursing over "modern cars". Looking through the headlights glass to make sure you're all lined up is also helpful. And Me! Recently had to change a blown RH dip beam bulb. Taking out was straightforward. Putting back should be a reverse of the removal procedure. Spent ages trying to get the spring clip to locate. Thought it was because of the cold and that I couldn't feel my fingers. Eventually tried turning the bulb through 180 and the clip went into place first time... /Grrr

miller
08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Can someone take pics the next time they remove their headlights so Club VR4 can have an official write up. I need to attempt this but am scared im gonna destroy my front grill and the 'lightweight'' yet stubborn Mitsi plastic clips

Please

Pretty please

Mike :happy:

Fully
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
The gill just needs a small flat blade screw driver, to gently push the clip down as you just pull ( not to far just enough to hold it out from the clip) it out from the front of the car. The middle one you need to go to from the side. Just start at one side and work your way across.

Lights I have never had issues with replacing the bulbs. Remove rubber cover, sqeese twist and out it comes, indercators just twist and pull.

HMG1K
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm reading with interest - I've just recieved in the post my Philips +80% vision headlights and at the moment I'll hang out for warmer weather before tackling this!

g6acb
08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Philips +80%

I had the +50%'s .... they were loads better than the standard lights

get em in now.... when its warm enough it wont be dark so you won't need them as much :thinking:

The only problem with the + x% lights is they dont last very long, under 2 years before one of the philips ones went.... whether or not its sods law or some kind of volt spike thing but you can be sure the other bulb will go within 24 hours....

thats just what happened to me, I didn't have time to mail order some philips so I got some PIAA bulbs that the local autospares place was clearing out cheap

They kick the phillips +50%'s arse... but they make the lights soooo hot that all road grime sticks to them like **** to a blanket, meaning 2 days after you clean your car... you cant see :speechles

ANTHONY
31-10-2008, 07:55 PM
yes I've done a search..........both my headlight have stopped working, side lights OK so is main beam. I've checked the fuses and relay the only thing i haven't checked is the bulbs yet and its too dark and cold. so could it be any thing else? these were the osram 80% bulbs only fitted about a year ago

vixen1578
30-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi

Great advice. I toyed with the pliers etc for about 3 blood seeping scratches when I went down the headlight removal route. What a breeze. I didn't even remove them fully as sliding them forward was enough.

Thanks

V

funkstardelux
30-10-2009, 07:48 PM
take the head;ights out...trust me unless u want bloody fingers and hands

Turbo_Steve
30-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow. I've changed the bulbs several times, and not even hurt myself a little bit.
With the lights in situ.

You're only supposed to touch the rounded edge of the clip, you all know that, right?

carlos-1975
30-10-2009, 08:39 PM
i like this thread as the member who started it was the owner of my car so i know mine were all changed at the same time woo hoo when this thread was started

funkstardelux
30-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow. I've changed the bulbs several times, and not even hurt myself a little bit.
With the lights in situ.

You're only supposed to touch the rounded edge of the clip, you all know that, right?

you did the side bulbs too?

Turbo_Steve
30-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Only did those once, but didn't cut myself there, either? Am I just lucky?

funkstardelux
30-10-2009, 10:14 PM
i just did them few days ago..didn't cut myself , but fingers hurt like hell for a few days..a right pain in the XXXX

elnevio
30-10-2009, 10:26 PM
a right pain in the XXXX
You really shouldn't be using that to change bulbs! :o

funkstardelux
30-10-2009, 10:29 PM
still got the chapping from it/pale

vixen1578
01-11-2009, 08:51 AM

Wise words. I would still remove the grill (5 clips) gentlly and then the 4 bolts. It is only necessary to slide the light forward to access all bulbs.

I changed my lights and with them out it is obvious that all you have to do is "touch the rounded edge ". Pliers are not necessary!

V