PDA

View Full Version : Lowering suspension???

DickBarton
07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
How much gap should there be between the front wheel arch and the top of the tyre on a standard 16" alloy wheel?

I've got a huge gap and at speeds of over 85mph, the front end feels rather lighter than under that speed and the steering feels a bit light as well...I was talking to a mate and he reckoned the front end of my car was higher than normal - but I've got the standard springs in the machine so not sure what it should be sitting at...

My front wheel gap is approx. 6" and the rear wheel gap is approx. 4" - it is definitely lower, but apparently they are all standard springs and not lowered/modded.

Would dropping my front wheel height help fix the floaty feeling of the front end?

These aren't the clearest of shots, but does show the side view of the car and you can see the difference in height between front and rear...compared to UnclePete's 2 VR4's the gap on mine is much greater...

Kenneth
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Interesting... you are number 2!

GroundControl (NZ member) has the same clearance as you. We hassle him about it at meets of course (as anyone would) as we thought his was unique.

Perhaps an option for conditions which require more ground clearance?

The good news though is that it doesn't seem to be something wrong as such, just different :)

DickBarton
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't really need the clearance though...but the lighter front end is a bit disconcerting...I will try and get in touch with GroundControl and see what his thoughts are...thanks...glad to see that I'm almost unique!

Kenneth
07-01-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't really need the clearance though...but the lighter front end is a bit disconcerting...I will try and get in touch with GroundControl and see what his thoughts are...thanks...glad to see that I'm almost unique!

If you don't like it and you don't require the clearance, simple solution is to lower it. Cheapest option would likely be to get in touch with zedy1 and get another set of standard shocks and springs.

From there you can go with lowering springs or up to full suspension replacement (expensive but worth it!)

DickBarton
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I got a new set of shocks and springs from Mo when the original shocks were leaking...so I know they are standard...if I need to lower the front end, what would I need to do? I know there needs to be new springs, but is that all I need or what?

Sorry, yet again a complete numpty question but I know nothing...

Kenneth
08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I got a new set of shocks and springs from Mo when the original shocks were leaking...so I know they are standard...if I need to lower the front end, what would I need to do? I know there needs to be new springs, but is that all I need or what?

Sorry, yet again a complete numpty question but I know nothing...

do you still have the old shocks and springs? You could try swapping the springs to see if that does the trick.

Yes, you can lower the car by just changing the springs. you can get spring lowering kits (not sure where you would go in the UK, but the name camskill.co.uk comes to mind) that will do the job

Kenneth
08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
here you go:

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1405p6895

peter thomson
08-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I'll have a set of lowering springs available when my coilovers arrive if you are interested. I was told they were HKS springs but I can't confirm that.

Nick Mann
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Springs is all you need. However, for less than 500 notes you can have a fully adjustable complete setup, which has to be worth it IMO. Old cars have old shocks on them, and a set of new Mitsy shocks costs more than 500 quid!

hi flyer
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah the gaps between the gaurds and the tires look right to me. Mines the same and i get **** about it to. Hilux'd legnum etc etc. I'll do some thing about it eventually. Can't say i've noticed it getting lighter in the steering at higher speeds but it makes sense.

Ryan
08-01-2008, 03:34 AM
That's very strange because my car is pretty standard and I don't have a gap nearly as large as the one in the picture?

bradc
08-01-2008, 05:28 AM
that car is a bit higher that most normal VR-4's

lowering springs is the best setup if you want to lower the car and make it feel a little bit better.

GroundControl
08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Heh yeah, yours does sit a bit like mine

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=39

I'm in two minds about it really - on the one hand I'd like it a bit lower for handling and looks, but on the other hand I live up a steep driveway, and there's a nasty entrance getting in to work, my parents live up a long steep gravel drive and I already scrape the nose enough as it is, so having it lowered would just make things worse...

So far apathy has won out /pan

bradc
08-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Are you talking about your old work Sam? I got in there a couple of times with my VR-4 to come in and see you, it was no problem :)

DickBarton
08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Peter, how much for the springs when they come up for sale please?

GroundControl
08-01-2008, 09:10 PM
brad: Nah old work was fine, new work driveway is a bit steeper

djb160
09-01-2008, 05:25 AM
My VR4 was the same as those, I always thought it was weird as well.

bradc
09-01-2008, 06:11 AM
it's your driveway that is evil :)

N9nebar
21-01-2008, 09:48 PM
So ... for people who haven't a foggiest about suspension... can you just get lowering springs and stock shocks? if so do ya have to lower the 4 corners..or can you just do the front? do coilovers completly replace the shocks and springs or just the shocks? sorry if the questions are a bit basic but hey if ya don't ask ya don't know.(i'm also only getting a GDI so i need it to look good cause it won't prove itself on the road,and the gap on the front arch is just to much)
Cheers for the jeers 9

Nick Mann
21-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't just change the fronts.

Coilovers are springs over shocks, so if you buy coilovers you will get both.

You can certainly get lowering springs and keep the standard shocks, but not everybody that has done this has been happy, and some have said it leads to premature shock failure. I think that this may depend on how much you lower it by.

Hope that helps!

N9nebar
21-01-2008, 10:29 PM
thanks very much ,yes that does help.....jaysus yeah, coilovers ,the clue is in the question innit!!!!

Nick Mann
21-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Heh! You'd be suprised how many people don't know that though! Coilover seems to be a word that people associate with aftermarket suspension only. There don't seem to be many cars now that don't use coilover setups.

Still - people on here teach me stuff everyday. If I can, I'll return the favour! :thumbsup:

Nice But
22-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Springs is all you need. However, for less than 500 notes you can have a fully adjustable complete setup, which has to be worth it IMO. Old cars have old shocks on them, and a set of new Mitsy shocks costs more than 500 quid!

Nick, are they the Tein sport wagon set up? is that with pillowball mounts or not?

I can vouch for Teins on the RX8 they make it much more woohoo. I will drive mine around for a bit 1st but after the quick tst drive on sat I immediately thought Mmmmmmm Teins and EDFC

/pan /pan must stop I ain't even got it yet.........

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Dick - I wonder if Mo has supplied you with springs from a facelift VR-4. Before I fitted the Tein coilovers to mine we replaced the standard (pre-facelift) springs with some facelift springs and this made the car sit even higher than normal. It was believed that Mitsi increased the clearance on the facelift cars.

You could just fit the original springs back on to the shocks you have now to see if it lowers the car a bit.

The Teins that I have on mine now are great as they are fully height (and dampening) adjustable. I wanted it lower but not stupidly low that I am always struggle with clearance problems. I seem to have found a reasonable compromise between the two.

edit: the current pic in my avatar is with the facelift suspension fitted

Nick Mann
25-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Tim - my Teins are the Super Wagons. No optional extras except for EDFC, so no pillowball mounts that I know of?

The cheapest place for them is RHD Japan. With EDFC, postage, tax, credit card charge and import tax, it cost me just over £700. Without the EDFC would have worked out at around £500.
www.rhdjapan.com
Also try PMing MR.VOODOO on here - he is a Tein dealer. He can't match RHDs prices, but he can get close. Maybe UK backup is worth the bit extra?

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Same here ... I have got the Super Wagons but without the fancy EDFC that Nick has :P

I also got mine from RHD Japan around the same time as Nick and mine were around the £500 mark in total including import duties etc.