08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Cambelt and timing belt change on the Galant 'Sport'

£296.00 (vat all in)

Browns of Grimsargh nr Preston.

Just thought if this is good value.

Cheers. The valley

I-S
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Depends what's included with that. I paid around £350 for cambelt, balancer belt, new water pump, AC belt and alternator belts with VAT and labour all in. If you're not getting a new water pump fitted then that's a little high.

Davezj
08-01-2008, 02:17 PM
yes get the water pump done at the same time!

HMG1K
08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, very good idea with the water pump... If that goes, labour alone, it is the same as replacing the belts as the work involved to getting to the pump is the same as changing the belts...

I paid to have my pump done last month when I bought my car from a dealer and the dealer was doing the 54k with belts... The part was around £170 inc VAT.

valleyforge1
08-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Ok guys. Ill have abit of a hunt around and see what I can get.

Do you know if the job requires a special tool.

Cheers. The Forge

I-S
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Give Mitsiland in Denton, manchester a call, see what they can do. Tell them not to give you an oil change though.

valleyforge1
11-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Cheers Issac. Just got in touch with Rob at Mitsiland and hes give us a quote of 200.00 inc vat for timing belt and balancer belt.

So the water pump is worth changing thae.
Is it something that would wear out about now.

Cheers. The Forge:2thumbsup

I-S
11-01-2008, 04:23 PM
It's a matter of whether it will wear in the next 54000 miles. It's driven by the timing belt, so if you do need to replace it you have to change that belt (or might as well). If the water pump does fail it will take the cambelt with it, and thus the top end too. For the sake of the extra at cambelt change time it's not worth risking if this is your second cambelt change? If it's the first, I'd be happier letting it go than second.

valleyforge1
23-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Got car booked into Mitsiland for next wednesday.

1...Got all the bulbs sorted.

2...New windscreen wipers.

3...2 new front tyres.

Cambelt next week and then fresh brake pads soon.

Just the MOMO steering wheel to sort and then hopefully all ready for the new season of shows......

BRING IT ON.

The Forge

miller
23-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Is it me being thick? I thought the VR4 cambelt was due at 45k?

hence im booked in at Eurospec on Friday with my oddometer now reading 44890...not gonna make it as its 177miles one way. will i be ok! :happy: :happy:

ah well regardless for my peace of mind and car noises paranoia it needs doing/pan

Mike

elnevio
23-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Is it me being thick? I thought the VR4 cambelt was due at 45k?

Mitsi apparently changed the interval to 54,000...

HMG1K
23-01-2008, 07:21 PM
And you can never be certain of what the engine may do - so sooner rather than later is better...

It's usually or 5 years, whatever is sooner and belts perish over time.

Nice But
23-01-2008, 07:30 PM
It's usually or 5 years, whatever is sooner and belts perish over time.

/Hmmm /Hmmm my new steed is getting one before I collect it, they're doing the adjusters etc but not the Water pump......... to late now as the belts have all been done.

Has there been instances of water pump failure/engine trashing.......:inquisiti :book: I always keep a close eye on all fluids/leaks on my cars so if it starts to go it will be replaced by me.....

There is something to be said for rotary engines:happy: :happy:

valleyforge1
23-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Iam finding things out about my car all the time and if iam not sure of something I try to get in touch with the people who serviced it.

I know this is the ONLY car ive ever bought with my heart and thought'' I want that ''instead of with my head and thinging things threw like why I want it.

Its first 5 years were with mitsi dealers then it goes abit Pete Tong but iam bringing the old girl back round and she seeems to be runnin better for it.

Get this new job this weekend and hopefully the budget will be better for car and everthing else (girl friend as well)

MGV6
30-01-2008, 11:16 AM
It's a matter of whether it will wear in the next 54000 miles. It's driven by the timing belt, so if you do need to replace it you have to change that belt (or might as well). If the water pump does fail it will take the cambelt with it, and thus the top end too. For the sake of the extra at cambelt change time it's not worth risking if this is your second cambelt change? If it's the first, I'd be happier letting it go than second.

what about the pulley and pre-tensioners, is it recommended to change those as well at 54k?

HMG1K
30-01-2008, 12:47 PM
what about the pulley and pre-tensioners, is it recommended to change those as well at 54k?

Mitsubishi don't recommend they're changed at all - but considering the few pounds cost of them, and that the only way to change these parts is when the belts are being done - it IS worth doing.

Nutter_John
30-01-2008, 12:51 PM
/Hmmm /Hmmm my new steed is getting one before I collect it, they're doing the adjusters etc but not the Water pump......... to late now as the belts have all been done.

Has there been instances of water pump failure/engine trashing.......:inquisiti :book: I always keep a close eye on all fluids/leaks on my cars so if it starts to go it will be replaced by me.....

There is something to be said for rotary engines:happy: :happy:

WRD replaced a water pump last year that was not far from failure , the cambelt was looking slighlty worse for wear with it as well - so if that had been left then it would have probably been a complete failure

AncientOfMu
30-01-2008, 02:17 PM
WRD replaced a water pump last year that was not far from failure , the cambelt was looking slighlty worse for wear with it as well - so if that had been left then it would have probably been a complete failure

that would have been my mota :D.

started as a squeel followed by losing water.... by the time I got to Stoke it really had had it.... not helped by trying to keep up with above mentioned Nutter /pan :scholar:

Kieran
30-01-2008, 02:31 PM
It's stongly recommended to keep the VR-4 cambelt interval at 45,000 miles.

However the UK spec models (GLS, V6, Sport, etc) are specified with 54k intervals and no reports of early failure.

richy rich
30-01-2008, 02:35 PM
that would have been my mota :D.

started as a squeel followed by losing water.... by the time I got to Stoke it really had had it.... not helped by trying to keep up with above mentioned Nutter /pan :scholar:
Yep I doubt that W/Pump would have done another 1k.