PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented Features

g8legnum
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Found a couple of things that I need help with chaps! Firstly, when reversing I have a warning beeper sounding in the cabin. As far as I can tel, it can't be heard outside and I don't have reverse sensors. Question here is if this is standard or an add-on and if standard where the heck is it?

Secondly when working on my radio recently, I found what I can only describe as a thin co-axial cable at the rear of the head unit, which I was sure was connected somewhere. Question here is should it be connected, what does it do and where does it go?

Thanks guys.

peter thomson
08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Warning beep is the same on my car but no idea where it is and the coaxial aerial cable probably won't fit the UK head units so I would just tape it up to prevent any chance of a short.

HMG1K
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I've had rear parking sensors retro-dealer fitted to mine and I hear a beep whenever I engage reverse and beofre I'm close to anything. I thought this was part of the parking sensors letting you know they are working with me.

I did notice, when changing rear bulbs, that on the rear drivers side inside panel, behind the wall carpet (you get this far if you peel the rear carpet panel away to get to the bolts of the rear light) there's a 3" diameter x 1" thick crude speaker stuck to the inside panel there - is this there on yours too..? I thought that was / is part of my parking sensors warning beeps.

Kieran
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
The VR-4 does beep in reverse. Nearly all Jap imports I've been in have beeped in reverse (if they're automatic). I think it's a standard feature out there.

UK spec Galants don't beep.

As for the radio plug - any chance of a piccie? I'd guess that it's a spare diversity antenna from the Jap FM amp, but not sure.

Kieran
08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh and the beeper is located on the ETACS module which is located on the back of the internal fusebox (behind the coin holder). I don't know if you can disable it any way - Certainly there's no switch, so you'd have to open it up and know which circuit to chop.....:skull:

Turbo_Steve
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I too have the second antenna lead. I also have really terrible radio reception (have the aerials in the rear window glass). I've checked that the amplifier is working (cos if I unplug the power cable thats attached to the aerial lead the signal gets even worse) but not sure if there is any way I can combine the signals or something. It's DIRE!

Fully
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
They are FM & AM and electric areial connector.

Wodjno
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think the Beepy thing is a bad thing :thinking:

Especially if you have 300bhp+ under your right foot :speechles

The last thing you want to be doing is flooring it in reverse by mistake /pan

Hmm .. Not that i think anyone would be so silly to do a thing like that /Hmmm

psbarham
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
The last thing you want to be doing is flooring it in reverse by mistake /pan

Hmm .. Not that i think anyone would be so silly to do a thing like that /Hmmm

i quite agree with you there, i mean who could be daft enough to do such a thing:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

bradc
08-01-2008, 08:37 PM
just don't do it near a garage door, I hear they bite

Paul Beazer
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
It would be even worse if there was a barrel of old oil nearby too.....

Kieran
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
/wall

Help! Dr. McCuckoo! My sides have split again!! /grr /pan

g6acb
08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
its the way you tell 'em .......

HMG1K
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
It would be even worse if there was a barrel of old oil nearby too.....

And a spilt box of tacks! :happy:

Goku
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
That coaxial can be plugged into the UK headunits, you just need an adaptor, we have a couple of European headunits here and we just got an adaptor plug for them to work with the coaxial cable.

DickBarton
08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have that wee coaxial thing...not sure where it would be plugged into the back of my Pioneer head unit - what would it do? Would it improve the reception of the aerial/radio? If so, where do I get an adapter from? The jack appears to be about 1.5mm - certainly smaller than a headphone jack and not quite the same shape.

g8legnum
09-01-2008, 09:44 AM
UK spec Galants don't beep.

As for the radio plug - any chance of a piccie? I'd guess that it's a spare diversity antenna from the Jap FM amp, but not sure.
Oh Dear. My VR4 is UK spec but I'll check behind the coin tray to see if there was a carry over. As for the pics, I'll see what I can do at the weekend....

I too have the second antenna lead. I also have really terrible radio reception (have the aerials in the rear window glass). I've checked that the amplifier is working (cos if I unplug the power cable thats attached to the aerial lead the signal gets even worse) but not sure if there is any way I can combine the signals or something. It's DIRE!
That sounds the same with me. Since 'fiddling' with the radio harness to provide power for my phone hands-free unit, the radio reception is cr@p. I even get it jumping to another frequency for the same radio station, so me thinks it is some sort of antenna lead becaue it was OK before. Of course I am still trying to get a manual for my head unit so I could find out how its works and even how to get it out of the frame - standard extract tools don't even fit (there are no matching holes /Grrr /Grrr )

Kieran
09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh Dear. My VR4 is UK spec....

No it's not - Well, it may be one of the 'Official' UK cars, but they were all Jap-Spec models that were converted when they landed in the UK. The 'UK-Spec' models were built for the UK market and rolled off the production line with spec differences.

Paul Beazer
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
No it's not - Well, it may be one of the 'Official' UK cars, but they were all Jap-Spec models that were converted when they landed in the UK. The 'UK-Spec' models were built for the UK market and rolled off the production line with spec differences.
K, i may be reading this wrongly (if i am i apologise) but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You say the "official" cars are all jap spec conversions, then you say the "uk spec" ones were built for the uk market.
I though that there were no VR4s built specifically for the UK, and they were all conversions from Jap spec ones?

HMG1K
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
K, i may be reading this wrongly (if i am i apologise) but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You say the "official" cars are all jap spec conversions, then you say the "uk spec" ones were built for the uk market.
I though that there were no VR4s built specifically for the UK, and they were all conversions from Jap spec ones?

Paul's correct...

As I understand it, from the Mitsubishi press releases at the time (2001), Jap spec cars were imported to the UK (200 in all) by Colt Car Company before the conversion and the like (underseal, rear fog lights in the light clusters etc) were then carried out by Ralliart in the UK.

I've got the press releases at home on my PC I can post up if needed.

White Lightning
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I think when Kieran says "UK spec" he is talking about other model Galants ... not VR-4s.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "UK spec" VR-4 ... they are all converted.

g8legnum
09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
OK, OK!!! So I have a Ralliart Coverted Facelift version of the VR4/Legnum estate. Does that affect this thin coax cable I found when compared to the 1996 version?

Turbo_Steve
09-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I doubt it. Grey one, little teeny weenie connector? I figured it was probably an AM aerial, but would love to know for sure. Certainly it doesn't seem to pick up FM anywhere near as well as the big one!

My only other thought was maybe it was something that was only used with the MMCS thingy that I fortunately don't have.

Turbo_Steve
09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Since 'fiddling' with the radio harness to provide power for my phone hands-free unit, the radio reception is cr@p. I even get it jumping to another frequency for the same radio station, so me thinks it is some sort of antenna lead becaue it was OK before.

Assuming its's an aftermarket headunit, and that someone has had the good sense to fit an ISO adaptor to your car, then this should prove useful:

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/wiring/Typ85/isopin.html

Notd thd Pin5 output on Connector A...this outputs 12v when the radio is on. This wanders off into the cars harness somewhere, but then re-appears on a single spade connector inline with your two coax connectors.

If this single spade isn't getting 12v (and TBH it could be from anywhere as long as it can't run your battery flat) then your aerial amp won't work and you will get almost no signal at all.

You can do what I did to check it, and tune into a station with marginal signal levels. Then unplug the spade connector. If the signal gets even worse / goes completely, then your aerial amp is still getting power and doing it's job, and like me you have a more fundamental problem somewhere.

Kieran
09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I think when Kieran says "UK spec" he is talking about other model Galants ... not VR-4s.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "UK spec" VR-4 ... they are all converted.

Correct and Correct.:scholar:

Paul Beazer
09-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Correct and Correct.:scholar:
Sorry, i forgot to read using the force.....

g8legnum
09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I doubt it. Grey one, Hey, How did you know the colour of my hair. /Grrr Now I can't lie about my age anymore /Grrr /Grrr

DickBarton
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Mine is a black cable...not grey...

kamal
11-01-2008, 03:07 AM
I have one of these on mine. I think it leads to the tax disc holder/antenna for a phone kit.

I was going to remove it the other day but couldn't get the glove box off.

Paul Beazer
11-01-2008, 08:21 AM
turn the bump stop through 90 degress on the inside lhs of the glove box and it should pop out, then the glovebox should swing out far enough to remove the screws in the hinges.

HMG1K
11-01-2008, 09:11 AM
turn the bump stop through 90 degress on the inside lhs of the glove box and it should pop out, then the glovebox should swing out far enough to remove the screws in the hinges.

You've also got to tease the right hand side of the glove box out... What Paul describes is the major bit.. this bit needs squeezing of the side of the glovebox and the right hand side of the dashboard trim...

It will all make sense if you follow Paul's step - then open the glove box and see the solid, and fixed, right hand side stopper.

Turbo_Steve
13-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Kamal, I don't think it's the same thing: phone kit co-ax plugs are extremely shallow: I'm guessing yours is about 4mm deep?

These are about a third less long than the normal aerial plug.

I've just been doing some googling, regarding an unrelated topic (CD Multichanger compatibility FYI) and one of the factory headunits (the one with the multichanger) indeed brags about diversity on it's fascia.

Have a look:
http://www.caraudio-service.ru/shtatniki-mitsubishi.html

It's the M579 for anyone who cares. (second from bottom).
I found it googling for a U019 multichanger, which I have lurking in my boot, that doesn't seem to work with anything aftermarket. -sigh-

kamal
13-01-2008, 02:43 AM
I think your right Steve, mine is a lot like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slim-Tax-Disc-Antenna-Nokia-Car-Kit-Aerial-CK-7W-126_W0QQitemZ110210934251QQihZ001QQcategoryZ35191Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Turbo_Steve
13-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Ah...yes, it's definitely not that one. The clue for the guys with two aerial plugs is that it's moulded into the same wire as the larger plug, and looks exactly the same, just smaller. Not threaded like that, and the central pin stands proud, not flush like the telephone connector.

Also: might be worth keeping that antenna for phone or GPS?

g8legnum
27-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry guys. Weather and 'er indoors has kept me from my promise of piccies of this mini-coaxial cable. So pics below show the cable that is giving my consternation and also the fact that I cant extract my head unit as the standard tools don't have the same holes at the sides. In fact there did not seem to be any method to extract from the front and it wont just push out. So right now I'm flummoxed. :inquisiti

peter thomson
27-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I think you will have to remove the dash panel as the cage must be locked to it. Kieran has an article about removing these parts. You have to lift up the gear surround first and then pull the dash panel forward from the bottom. Dissconnect the cables and pipe to the climate control and the wires to the cigarette lighter and any other wires.

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 07:24 PM
That stereo has been installed from the front. Kierans dash removal guide could help, but it might not. There must be a way of removing the stereo from the front. Halfrauds sell several different types of stereo removal tool. Is it worth checking in there and seeing if any of them look possible?

elnevio
27-01-2008, 07:56 PM
If the security holes are slot-shaped, I have often used suitably-trimmed slices of an old credit card - they're usually thin enough. Is that any help?

Nev

peter thomson
27-01-2008, 08:20 PM
That stereo has been installed from the front. Kierans dash removal guide could help, but it might not. There must be a way of removing the stereo from the front. Halfrauds sell several different types of stereo removal tool. Is it worth checking in there and seeing if any of them look possible?

Nick if you look closely at the pic you can see the tabs on the bottom of the stereo that are pushed out to hold the whole unit in place. I can't see how you could get it out without taking the whole panel off

kamal
27-01-2008, 08:52 PM
If it's a kenwood stereo i have the tools to remove it, you can borrow them if you like.

ANTHONY
27-01-2008, 09:29 PM
i don't seem to get a reverse beep on a manual box

Johnny_Cashed
27-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Might have been mentioned elsewhere, but when I leave my keys in the ignition and open a door, I don't get a beep?

bradc
27-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Thats because just like the absence traction control in manuals, they figured people with manuals can drive :)

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Nick if you look closely at the pic you can see the tabs on the bottom of the stereo that are pushed out to hold the whole unit in place. I can't see how you could get it out without taking the whole panel off

The bent tabs are on the cage that the stereo is clipped to. The removal tool will allow the stereo to slide forwards leaving the cage in place. If you remove the dash, the tray under the stereo stays in place. Then you have the same problem - the tabs on the cage will hold the stereo behind the tray. The best way of removing it is the way it was designed to be remove - the appropriate tools to slide the stereo from the cage. Then remove the cage if required. Only then will the dash pop forwards without risk of breakage.

peter thomson
27-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The bent tabs are on the cage that the stereo is clipped to. The removal tool will allow the stereo to slide forwards leaving the cage in place. If you remove the dash, the tray under the stereo stays in place. Then you have the same problem - the tabs on the cage will hold the stereo behind the tray. The best way of removing it is the way it was designed to be remove - the appropriate tools to slide the stereo from the cage. Then remove the cage if required. Only then will the dash pop forwards without risk of breakage.

I was thinking of the cage being the same depth as the head unit./pan

Kieran
27-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Just to add - that minicoax is for the FM diversity system.:scholar:

Wodjno
28-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Just to add - that minicoax is for the FM diversity system.:scholar:

Do we have a module in place for this Kieran ? Or just the Coax ?

And does this mean that the antenna in the rear side windows ! Is not what we are using for our FM Signals ?

ANTHONY
28-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Thats because just like the absence traction control in manuals, they figured people with manuals can drive :)good point Brad

Subaru ETA
28-01-2008, 05:28 AM
well said brad

g8legnum
28-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. As far as the removal of the head unit is concerned, its a Panasonic FX420N - the one I'm still trying to get an owners manual for so that at least I can store my fecking radio stations - so I'll get down to Halfrauds and see if they have any different removal tools. (How I wish there was consistency for all radios).

Then for the mini coax - Kieran, what is a diversity system when its at home and more importantly does the cable need to be connected to the head unit?

Still flummoxed of Sussex

Kieran
28-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Then for the mini coax - Kieran, what is a diversity system when its at home and more importantly does the cable need to be connected to the head unit?

Still flummoxed of Sussex

Dear Flummoxed of Sussex...:D

There's an explanation in flummoxite terms here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23172

:scholar:

g8legnum
28-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Dear Flummoxed of Sussex...:D

There's an explanation in flummoxite terms here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23172

:scholar: Thanks Kieran. Your explanation in the link has gone a long way to resolving what happened with my radio reception after I fitted my hands free kit. Although there is no visible point on my head unit for it to be connected, my radio now has a very annoying habit of retuning itself to a weaker signal from my local radio station and it didn't do that before I moved the wiring at the back. So me thinks the FM diversity cable was being used somehow.

Cheers guys :iloveyou:

Slightly less flummoxed of Sussex

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 02:50 PM
my radio now has a very annoying habit of retuning itself to a weaker signal from my local radio station and it didn't do that before I moved the wiring at the back.

Have a look through your head unit's set up options on the actual unit - Kenwoods come with a 'Local ON / Local OFF' feature which is designed to lock on or off to the type of signal you're recieving.

You may have this on yours.

g8legnum
28-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Have a look through your head unit's set up options on the actual unit - Kenwoods come with a 'Local ON / Local OFF' feature which is designed to lock on or off to the type of signal you're recieving.

You may have this on yours. I haven't got a manual /Grrr /Grrr and can't get one for love nor money - sorry not quite true! I can get one for £10 a throw, but only from Russia where they are probably all illegal copies anyway. This is one reason why I'm looking to change the head unit - hence the issue about removing it. When I do, it will get thrown as far as I can throw and potentially where I can do it most damage.... /Grrr /Grrr

peter thomson
28-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Some of the manuals on the Panasonic website might be of help.They're free to download but you will probably have to go through a few to find one suitable. There is a german version on the web but you would have to translate it through google.

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I haven't got a manual

Shortcut way is just to play with the features on the menu / options list - if you've still got it hooked up and working.

g8legnum
28-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Shortcut way is just to play with the features on the menu / options list - if you've still got it hooked up and working. This head unit has been the most frustrating thing about this car. Most other radios have had fairly striaghtforward controls to set up things like the clock, store frequencies, switch traffic on/off, etc. Not this one. No menu. I have pressed every button and every combination of buttons to store stations and switch off the traffic reports and all I can get is lots of multicoloured moving bars and some little indicators for rds and channel type.
I would probably like it better if I could control it, but none of the web sites that purport to have a manual for it will allow a download and I've even tried a chap that was selling one on fleabay to copy his manual for me. Absolute diddly /Grrr

So its goin' to have to go for a proper one and ideally with a CD changer....

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Best way then! Don't you just hate it when the controls of a poxy stereo for the simplest of things is like trying to crag the enigma code - in digital format??!!!

Turbo_Steve
28-01-2008, 10:41 PM
What kind of stereo is it?

peter thomson
28-01-2008, 10:42 PM
a Panasonic FX420N