PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage of VR-4

Ryan
09-01-2008, 04:29 AM
If one plans to go away for a length of time, say... a year or so - what is the best way to store a car for that period of time?

Would i have to drain all the fluids oil, ATF, xfer case, diff etc? Would I put on axl stands?

Thanks! :)

bradc
09-01-2008, 05:19 AM
give it to me?

Subaru ETA
09-01-2008, 06:11 AM
just park it! but pump the tyres up to like 50 psi to prevent flat spots

rayray24
09-01-2008, 06:21 AM
I always thought that cars had to be started every few months or so when not being used?? Don't drain the fluids thou bad idea.

Ryan
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
give it to me?

You have enough toys Brad.:cowboy:

dogwagon
09-01-2008, 11:56 PM
If one plans to go away for a length of time, say... a year or so - what is the best way to store a car for that period of time?

Would i have to drain all the fluids oil, ATF, xfer case, diff etc? Would I put on axl stands?

Thanks! :)

Check out some Classic Car sites & search for the answers! When i was into classix, this subject arose every winter!!!
From my experience:
leave in garage if at all poss!
leave windows open a 1/2 " or so
put old wheels on & pump up pressure ... or if not poss, take the weight on carefully positioned stands - too high & you will put pressure on joints etc that are not used to being raised up!
Fill the tank with fuel TO THE BRIM, to prevent condensation build up, and preferably use one of those Dry Fuel packs a tank of two before to absorb as much water as poss!
Question: does Super Unleaded last longer than unleaded?? u/L is supposed to last 6 months b4 going Off, but i have heard of it lasting longer! a year MAY be pushing it!!?? If over 6 months , maybe ignore this bit !! I left 4* 4+ years and it still started! unleaded i left a year & it started but was glad of some fresh u/L asap!!
Hand brake OFF.
Battery disconnected - remove something to disable the ignition for security??!!
Good all round Lubrication service beforehand!
Grease on discs ... remembering to degrease b4 use!
Fresh Quality Anti Freeze @ 50% mixed with Battery Top Up Water, NOT tap water ( reduces calcium build up!)
I was told that starting a car for a few mins each month does more harm than good ... wear to the engine & condensation build up all over the place! Bear in mind that condensation within the exhaust can take HOURS of warmed up driving to evaporate off!
Cant think of anything else at the mo!

Ryan
10-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed response!

d i c k i e s
10-01-2008, 03:51 AM
great post there bro.