PDA

View Full Version : Australian speed limiting device

Ryan
09-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Device automatically slows speeding cars
9:30AM Wednesday January 09, 2008
The device warns the driver first, before cutting power to the engine to prevent speeding. Photo / Dannevirke News

The device warns the driver first, before cutting power to the engine to prevent speeding. Photo / Dannevirke News

MELBOURNE - The Victorian and Queensland governments are evaluating a device that can automatically slow a speeding car using satellite technology.

The Australasian Intelligent Speed Adaptation initiative could be trialled in Victoria, the Herald Sun reported today.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon, several Victorian ministers, a former Victorian coroner and 45 other participants would be the first to try the speed reduction system, the report said.

All states and territory governments and the New Zealand government have been in talks to introduce of the system.

Other trials are planned this year in NSW and Western Australia, the report said.

The technology uses GPS and a database that identifies speed limits on all roads and operates on three levels.

Drivers get an audible warning they are over the limit at level one.

At level two, the device cuts power to the engine to prevent the driver from speeding, but the system can be adjusted or overridden.

At level three, the system cannot be switched off or adjusted and all speeding is cut.

The device could be fitted to repeat speeding offenders, or to all vehicles.

A spokeswoman for Roads Minister Tim Pallas would not confirm any trial, but Queensland Transport Minister John Mickel said his government was involved in the talks.

"Technology is evolving all the time with these things, and my view with road safety is to see what the latest technology is and see if we can improve safety."

Queensland Transport vehicle safety consultant Michael Paine said the system could cut the number of serious accidents by 20 per cent.

The Herald Sun quoted an unnamed Victorian government website, which estimated the number of fatalities could be cut by almost 60 per cent if it was fitted to all cars.

The system would cost between A$700 and A$2000 per vehicle and would first be fitted to fleet cars, the Herald Sun said.

Fully
09-01-2008, 05:21 AM
I don't see it working. Who is going to pay for it?
How will it be reinforced?
it would be more dangerous if speed was cut when passing another car, or is it going to be so restricted you wont be able to do 120km?

What about police/fire/ambo's ? why can they go faster? or will the apply to them as well, I don't think so.

Its getting so big brother and you do as we say.

bradc
09-01-2008, 05:21 AM
umm so don't install it then

djb160
09-01-2008, 06:19 AM
or just like the F***ing beeping thing, just find which wire(s) to cut. Can't I like the sound of it, sounds scary and dangerous to me, Kinda like when TC unexpectedly kicks in.

snickells
09-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Erm, no thanks. I turn off TC when I'm driving the holden coz it's such a crappy system that it verges on dangerous.