PDA

View Full Version : Is the wing bolted on?

orionn2o
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Had a slight mis-hap with the car. (not actually my fault)

The nut on the lateral arm undid its and the hub popped off of the arm whilst driving. Needless to say the wheel smashed itself into the arch bending the wing.

Its not spastically bent, just a little. So wondered if I can just unbolt it and try to move it back?

Anyone got ideas?

uploaded/3336/1199971484.jpg

White Lightning
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh dear, that doesn't look too good.

Andy (The Vee) took his front wings off recently and IIRC he said that they just unbolted and then it's a case of carefully prising them away as they are sort of glued on. Maybe worth a PM if he does not spot this thread.

Or I am sure there are others that will know ...

Nutter_John
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
think it is bolted and also gunk'd on , bit of a pia to get off and then you need to clean it up and re-gunk it to refit

Can a bodyshop not just knock it out with the wing still on the car ?

Nick Mann
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Sh!t. Hope you weren't travelling at speed.

I have never taken a wing off, but I think that they are bolted on - just a bit of sealant extra that holds them in place once the bolts are removed. The option other than trying to straighten it would be a call to Mo to see if you can bolt a different one on. It's not like you have a unique colour!! /pan

orionn2o
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah thats quite possible John . Just reviewing the options. Then I'd need to find a good bodyshop!

Saw your car this morning too. I see it failed its MOT on emissions appallingly same as mine!

Nick Mann
10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Heh! Three replies in quick succession! You gotta love this club.... Good luck, Matt!

orionn2o
10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Sh!t. Hope you weren't travelling at speed.

I have never taken a wing off, but I think that they are bolted on - just a bit of sealant extra that holds them in place once the bolts are removed. The option other than trying to straighten it would be a call to Mo to see if you can bolt a different one on. It's not like you have a unique colour!! /pan

Luckily Nick I was only doing about 25mph! Otherwise it could have got dangerous!!

Nutter_John
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
yeah but there is a reason mine is failing so badly , something to do with an afr of 12.4 afr at idle .

Glad you little mishap did not do any real damange as it could have very nasty , shame you can't see the new bonnet properly in the pic as well :D

Gowf
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
yeah but there is a reason mine is failing so badly , something to do with an afr of 12.4 afr at idle .

Glad you little mishap did not do any real damange as it could have very nasty , shame you can't see the new bonnet properly in the pic as well :D

Best bit about the bonnet is most definately the aerocatches.....Hats off to the boys with balls big enough to cut into their brand new CF bonnets!:afro:

orionn2o
10-01-2008, 03:03 PM
and pics are here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300640

AncientOfMu
10-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Wing is definatly just bolted on. There is a little sealant along the top edge but its a piece of pee to get off. The most difficult bit is having to remove the front bumper /pan

orionn2o
10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes im looking forward to trying that in the rain!!

ianturbo
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Had a slight mis-hap with the car. (not actually my fault)

The nut on the lateral arm undid its and the hub popped off of the arm whilst driving. Needless to say the wheel smashed itself into the arch bending the wing.

Its not spastically bent, just a little. So wondered if I can just unbolt it and try to move it back?

Anyone got ideas?

uploaded/3336/1199971484.jpg
they bolt on , 10mm ,about six or seven not hard to do but there is a fiddley one that goes through the bumper :inquisiti
ian

MarkSanne
11-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Very do-able to get loose, just no fun at all. Had mine loose to get the a poper power cord from the battery lead to the interiour (the entrance is right behind the wing) and from there on to the back where my amp & subwoofer are installed.