PDA

View Full Version : Fan/alternator belt...

slaine
10-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi there, good night.

Just got a few parts I ordered to service my car, and also a fan belt.
My local garage, they serviced the car for me before, no probs there, but the fan belt... They had a look today to it and said it´ll take about 2 hours to change that, and 45 quid coz they need to take some parts before they can even reach the fan belt...

I dont know if this is that difficult, or they just having a laugh, and also, is it the same thing fan belt than alternator belt?
I still need to buy the oil, I already got the filters and spark plugs, and I was thinking of buying 0W-30 fully synthetic for it, any suggestions? Castrol Edge any good? Carlube Triple R? will it be ok buying just 5W-30 semi-synthetic instead?

Thanks for the info and help :)

n13l pm
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi there, good night.

Just got a few parts I ordered to service my car, and also a fan belt.
My local garage, they serviced the car for me before, no probs there, but the fan belt... They had a look today to it and said it´ll take about 2 hours to change that, and 45 quid coz they need to take some parts before they can even reach the fan belt...

I remember doing it mate and it was a bit of mission as the pulley bolt is a f%*ker to get to, and can be easliy rounded off. If you search around on the site you will find some threads on the topic. And yeah t he fan/alternator belt is the same thing.

I use 10-40w fully synthetic Amsoil. Oil is a topic that wakes up a lot of members on the forum, im sure the others will post up soon on what they reckon the best is.

slaine
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi there, good night.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check with me local garage and see how they do it then, in case they mess the bolt u talking about... good to know /thankyou

Thats the oil I used before, Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, and all is good... :inquisiti
I'll change this time just to check to 0W-30, and c how it goes then.
Thanks for the info and help :)