PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on tuning work please!

big Pete
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

It's been a while since I was last on, but I'm back now!!:happy:

For the last couple of weeks I have been chatting to various friends about tuning in general, which got me to thining about me Leggy.....

Now, before I get pointed to the door marked "search" above it:thinking: , I would like to point out that I have been searching, but haven't quite found what I'm after!:speechles :scholar:

I'm not wanting to go b*lls out with my car, just want another 30/50bhp if poss with the below mods I'm thinking of.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

MODS:
Battery in boot mod ( to allow for below)
Cold air box/induction ( where battery used to live!) fed from the front fog light appatures
Larger intercooler (poss off EVO whichever fits easier)
Boost controller (up boost a tad:inquisiti )
Remap

My exhaust is o.k. as it's a full Dager affair.

My car is an auto 97 estate.

In your guy's experience/oppinion what would I be expecting in return power wise if all went well??

Would it be worth it?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Nick Mann
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
50 extra horses at the bare minimum for all of that.

Turbo_Steve
10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Given you've got an exhaust, a boost controller and intercooler should see you with what you're after. The cold-air box is a great idea, but probably more effort than it's worth IMO: some decent cool air ducting to the area should suffice.

big Pete
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks guy's.

Cheers

Pete

big Pete
10-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Steve,

Do you think a remap is a bit OTT at this level of tuning mate?

Thanks

Pete

Kieran
10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, technically with those mods the standard ECU can cope, though you will get is fuel cut at low RPM with high load and the standard ECU's response to extra airflow is to throw even more petrol in - AFRs below 10:1 at wide open throttle are common!

So if you've got the money, a remap/piggyback will be of benefit - though the car will remain driveable without it.

Gowf
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Having played with a few of these beasts now, 50bhp increase should be fairly easy to get. The cold air box is definately a good idea as the engine bay does definately get HOT.
As K has said, i doubt that you'd really need to alter the fueling as if your going for a sensible boost increase the stock maps are more than capable of coping.

Intercooler will also help you a good bit, because although they do come with a fmic as standard they are a bit pants. Here it depends how much you want to spend and whether you want something that comes out of a box and fits, or whether you enjoy hours of flaff.

As for power, i have seen a stock car other than exhaust and decat, make 330bhp and 350lbft @0.9bar with just a piggyback fitted. But it does very much vary from car to car.

stuartturbo
10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
make me an offer on my map ecu and it could be yours /lol comes with loom extension lead to suit

Nick Mann
10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Stu? Map or Map2?

stuartturbo
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
map2
I found my fuel use went from 170 to a tank down to 130miles due to the driving i do no cruise at all
I did so reverted back to normal set up ( have the more/same power and comes in lower down 220whp) till i could get a laptop etc to play but money wise that is so far off now someone else may as well make use of it

bradc
11-01-2008, 02:24 AM
even an apexi safc2 will do the job and lean things out a bit. you'll get a huge increase in mid range torque as well :)

big Pete
11-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Brilliant, thanks guy's.

That's made a few things a lot clearer for me.

All the best
Pete