PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in the Midlands - advice

Nice But
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi all, a quick few words about me.......

I'm Tim, live south of Brum and am old (46ISH):thinking: and growing older disgracefully.
Currently own a 56 plate 231 RX8 with Tein suspension and a Borla Zorst and a 90 MX5 1.6 with lots of mods.

The reason for me being here is for info. The RX8 has to go, my mom is not getting any younger and she can't get in or out of either of my cars :d so I was thinking of where I can go.

I saw a couple of Legnum's hooning around Castle Coombe at last years Japfest, so that's why I'm here. I haven't had a look at one, or driven, one so am just sounding them out. However they do seem to tick all the boxes re power, toys and looks. A saloon is also in the running.

Is there anywhere I sould be specifically looking? I want to spend about 8-9K So from what I can gather it should be about 99-01 and in V good nick.

Are they good to live with? my other possible is a Scooby Legacy B4 RSK estate/saloon.

Thanks all

Tim

PS if anybody knows anyone who wants an Immaculate RX8 for £16500, PM me.

Kieran
11-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Welcome Tim!

I like RX-8s... They have a very 'Happy' look to them!:afro:

Comparrison of the VR-4 versus the B4 RSK - this was printed in EVO Magazine in 1999...

Oh, and here's a link to the VR-4 vs the Legacy GT-B on Youtube. All in Japanese but you should get a feel for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwXNb4hET4

Subaru Legacy RSK-B4 vs Mitsubishi Galant VR4

Think four-door saloon, supercar performance and affordable prices, and I ‘d wager an Impreza Turbo or Lancer Evolution would come immediately to mind. But if you’re the more mature, family man type and want that supercar-humbling performance in a less obvious package, then Subaru and Mitsubishi can offer you two cars which will have the sort of effect that a Mars Bar has on Marianne Faithful.

Available through your local Mitsubishi dealer, the £28,995 Galant VR4 is a sort of grown up Lancer EVO. Meanwhile the £26,450 Legacy RSK-B4 – available via your regular grey importers offers a taste of Impreza Turbo thrills in a bigger packet.

Visually, neither car wins any beauty prizes, both suffering from a mismatch of wings, spoilers, scoops and sill extensions, with the Legacy coming out top by virtue of it being least the offensive to the eye. :nono: The Legacy also wins inside, with a simple, smart instrument display, hip-hugging seats and high quality plastics. The Galant has a two-tone red leather steering wheel. Need I say more?

The appeal of these two saloons, though, is the hardware they pack – and their ability to make the most of it. The Galant is powered by a 2.5 litre, twin-turbo 276bhp V6 hooked up to a five speed ‘intelligent’ automatic transmission ( adjusting shift patterns according to your driving style ). It also comes with Active Yaw Control (AYC); as found on the Lancer EVO6.

All of which gives the VR4 a positively ‘Star Wars’ feel compared with the more ‘Ben Hur’ approach of the Legacy. The Legacy’s flat four also benefits from a pair of turbos (helping produce an identical 276bhp) and has a chassis tweaked by Porsche. But its five speed manual ‘box and four-wheel drive are taken largely unchanged from the regular Impreza Turbo. No bad thing.

On the road, though, it’s the Galant that really shines. The weighty feel to the steering and armfuls of feedback from both helm and chassis encourage you to press on as soon as the traffic frees up. Any thoughts of the auto-box hampering progress are dismissed the first time you ask it to kick down. On only a couple of occasions did it need time to think before selecting the appropriate gear. Otherwise it delivers smooth, effortless and unobtrusive changes whenever your right foot demands.

After the Galant, the Legacy’s a bit of a disappointment. Over-light steering and continuous fidgeting on those 215/45x17 Bridgestones (the Galant wears identical size tyres) :confused: means you have to work hard just to keep the Mitsubishi in your sights.
Turn in too fast, and where the Galant can call on AYC to see you through the corner, the Legacy feels clumsy, rolling onto its dampers and relying on the tyres to resolve the situation. It’s hard to believe the Legacy comes from the same stable as the Impreza.

And it’s not only through the twisting stuff that the Legacy loses out. A noticeable trough of turbo lag below 3500rpm allows the Galant’s six-cylinder grunt to pull out half a cars length over the Legacy, and by the time the Subaru’s boxer engine has called upon its second turbo at 4500rpm, the VR4 is two, nearly three lengths further down the road. Subaru’s claim for the RSK-B4 reaching 60 in under 6secs is as bold as the Mitsubishi’s 6.7secs claim for the same discipline is conservative.

While the Legacy has the looks and the stylish interior, it’s the Galant that serves up the thrills to satisfy any enthusiast who isn’t allowed and EVO6. It’s just a shame that Mitsubishi had trouble finding a decent interior designer.

Nick VR4
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi and Welcome to the forum

Its just search around really maybe look in the classified area here :D or Piston Heads

Nice But
11-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Keiran... thanks for the link etc, excellent comparison on the EVO report, now I prefer the look of the VR over the Legacy.........

Nick I will have a search about, Thanks.

Is there any major problems with getting one imported?

MPBVr4
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Welcome to club.

Here's one for you in your price range - looks very nice

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MITSUBISHI+GALANT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-4294963613-4294967258/advert.action?R=200801301191351&distance=173&postcode=TA2+6RN&channel=CARS&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

TAR
11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
All Legnums (Japanese name for Galant estate) are imported. Now, due to changes in the import rules, you will not be able to register an imported Legnum or Galant VR4 under 10 years old. So if you are wanting a newer model you need to either find one which was imported before the new ruling came into effect (very rare) or buy a UK supplied Galant VR4 estate. There were around 200 of these officially imported by the Colt Car Company (also very rare!).

There are newer cars about, you just need to look for them. Try the classified ads on here.

There are a couple of Birmingham based owners who I am sure would be happy to show you their cars, I'm sure they will see this thread soon.

Any how, welcome to the club and remember.....

Once driven forever smitten.

Kieran
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Keiran... thanks for the link etc, excellent comparison on the EVO report, now I prefer the look of the VR over the Legacy.........

Nick I will have a search about, Thanks.

Is there any major problems with getting one imported?

Bah, they've zapped that link:

This is a promotional video, but this still works I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kan2ajs5UgI

Nice But
11-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and various links etc.

I will do some rummaging, and will have to sell the RX8 first, bugger the one in Autotrader looks V nice.

Thanks for the info on the less than 10 year models....... typical. I'm doing my best to keep my carbon footprint as high as possible :happy:

Another question if I may, reliability of the electronics/engine/gearbox? ease of getting parts? Tunability........ for when the red mist decends of course:evil2:

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Tim - I live in Redditch and work in Aston.

Tomorrow I will mostly be servicing my car, but you are welcome to come and have a chat and a look-see. I can't tell you much about VR4 competitors, but I can tell you plenty about VR4s and take you for a trip round the block in mine.

I'll PM you my number and you can decide. If tomorrow is a no-goer then I'm sure there will be other times.

Physician
11-01-2008, 04:20 PM
This is a promotional video, but this still works I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kan2ajs5UgI

Ohh! Hadn't seen that one before Kieran ........ I'll buy one! I like the bit in the snow and rain promoting the AYC. Quite surprised me actually as I'm not convinced the AYC copes too well in snow ........ unless, maybe, one keeps power on all the time.

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Search youtube for Legnum and Snow - there is a cracking video posted by Valmes. Looks like fun!

Nice But
11-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Nick, thanks very much for the offer. I too am servicing in the morning...... my lads mates MX5 :thinking:

May be ok for lunchtime ish though, I'll give you a call, I'll take the RX out for a thrash, kill 2 birds I could go and see how much Brooklyn Mazda would offer me for it ..........Hadeha, was only 14K when it was 10 months old. Grrrrr

Tim

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Okay! :thumbsup:

We can go for a race! So you can see how much you'd enjoy the extra performance!! /pan

(Only joking - I shan't be wearing my cap backwards when you arrive.)

WildCards
11-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Okay! :thumbsup:

We can go for a race! So you can see how much you'd enjoy the extra performance!! /pan

(Only joking - I shan't be wearing my cap backwards when you arrive.)

STOP PRESS
Fast car owner 'racing' on the public highway shocker!
- All units notified to keep an eye out for a balding ginger man driving a dog wagon at speed. If caught coax him out of the car with chocolate.

miller
11-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Glad you found us ok Tim

Welcome to Club VR4.

I may be at the Japmids meet sunday if ya fancy a spin in a pre-facelift VR4. Cant remember if your going.

Mike

(japmids forum):scholar:

miller
11-01-2008, 05:25 PM
edit: double post

Nice But
11-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Glad you found us ok Tim

Welcome to Club VR4.

I may be at the Japmids meet sunday if ya fancy a spin in a pre-facelift VR4. Cant remember if your going.

Mike

(japmids forum):scholar:

Mike I won't be able to make it sunday, when was the facelift done? I think it will be once driven, I will be smitten. Freind of mine has confirmed they are a great car and his word is good for me, he's not that happy with the scoob say's it doesn't handle as well as the Galant and he's driven both........ he mentioned Skyline to me so I slapped him:scholar: I'm way to grey for one of those.

Another open question....... I see there are lots of them on autotrader, if I was to punt 5 and a bit K at one and then keep the 3k back for mods/repairs. Would that seem sensible, or am I being a tw*t, better to spend the 8.5 on the car.

Don't mind doing work on cars, is the VR4 DIY friendly or is it a dealer jobby for most things?

I know loads of questions, you can all slap me http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/fishslap.gifwhen I get to meet you:inquisiti

A picture of my baby that has to go.....
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/Nicebut61/RX001.jpg

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
The facelift was late 1998. Facelifts have a couple of minor advantages over prefacelifts - the autos are slightly more powerful and they all come with hubcarriers that take the same brakes as an Evo.

See my car for the facelift standard front, and Millers for the prefacelift.

Personally, I would say that for 5k you would get an immaculate pre-facelift, or a not-so-immaculate facelift. 3k will buy the mods to get to 330ish BHP and enjoy it. On a facelift, for example:
Evo Brembos £500 max
Evo Wheels & Tyres £500 max (needed to fit over the brembos)
Stainless exhaust £500 max (with de-cat)
MAP2 ecu £1000 min (controls fuel and boost, cost to buy, fit and map)
Tein SuperWagon adjustable suspension £500

You may need to uprate your fuel system slightly, maybe £100? And maybe injectors or a fuel cut defender, not sure on cost of either.

£3k well spent on mods in my book!!

Nice But
11-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Nick

Thanks for the info, loving the look of your car BTW, can't seem to spot the difference between the face lift....... I'm just dense.

If there is a problem with a 10 year or less import how do you get a 98? sorry if I'm being thick. It's all new territory for me...../pan

Edit: front fogs and bumper shape.......... woohoo, is that the major difference?

bradc
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
for a while you could import newer cars, and mitsi also sold some in the country new. They are fairly rare though. Nick's car is nice example of a facelift - as is mine. I've got a few Legnums in my gallery, can you spot which ones are pre and post facelift?

Nice But
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Bigger front end, splitter, rear full width light/reflectors........

Can't spot anything else.......

Paul Beazer
11-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Just to clarify, you can import a VR4 less than 10 years old, but it must be one for which a model report already exists. Currently there is no model report for the facelift VR4 (1999 onwards), so you are limited to prefacelifts if you want to import.
Facelifts fail the ESVA on emissions, hence the 10 year rule applies due to no model report.
If its a facelift already registered over here in the UK the you should be ok, but they're a lot rarer.

Nice But
11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks Paul........ That'll be hens teeth then. Apart from the facelift, is there any other major change, Nick mentioned brake carriers, so I presume Brembo's offov an Evo can't be fitted to a pre facelift without swapping out the whole hub? and was the auto's are quicker aimed at the whole VR4 range or the facelift? It would be an auto I would go for.

Cheers

may go and have a look at this one tomorrow
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/Nicebut61/Legnum.gif
now advertised for £4500 1997

The spec:
Automatic, Petrol, 55,000 miles. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Cloth upholstery, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights. after market tv/dvd player, very clean standard example - New import,12 Months mot, 6 Months road tax,choice of Warranties

AncientOfMu
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
You could always come look at mine :P (shameless plug). Its been in the country a while so has had all the niggly fresh import problems ironed out.

You could get mine for a LOT less than 4.5-5K and have shedloads left over for mods /rally :pimp2:

Seriously though I would recommend a club owned car over a fresh import just because the history of the car is usually known.

and welcome to VR4 land :D

Paul Beazer
11-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I cant think of anything major that separates pre facelifts and facelifts other than mainly cosmetic, primarily front bumpers and rear tailgates on the wagons.
Some of the older pre facelift autos have the ECU set to kick out 260bhp, rather than 280bhp.

HMG1K
11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=TAR]All Legnums (Japanese name for Galant estate) are imported. Now, due to changes in the import rules, you will not be able to register an imported Legnum or Galant VR4 under 10 years old. So if you are wanting a newer model you need to either find one which was imported before the new ruling came into effect (very rare) or buy a UK supplied Galant VR4 estate. There were around 200 of these officially imported by the Colt Car Company (also very rare!).
QUOTE]

Even more rare - it imported 100 saloons and 100 estates!

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Mr. Beazer, you haen't quite got your facts right. There is no model report for any VR4 full stop. AFAIK there is no difference between emissions on different age cars, other than the difference you would expect between two same model cars.

Other little observations:

The cars younger than 10 were brought in to the UK before the rule change in 2004.

There are facelift VR4s that weren't brought in by Mitsubishi. Mine is one.

And one more potential bonus - facelifts can often be found with cloth Recaro seats!

Paul Beazer
12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I stand corrected, i forgot the rules changed in 2004, doh!
I assume thats how some facelifts got imported then?

Lillywotsername
12-01-2008, 09:48 PM
As everyone else seems to have given you plenty of advice, it leaves me just to say /Welcome.

Nice But
13-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks all for the info and the fantastic welcome, having had a look around I think I will plump for a pre facelift model, and then spend the extra money on tweaking bits/wheels etc.

Does the facelift interior fit in a pre - facelift I wonder, Mmmmm just a thought if one ever came available. I've had leather seats for the last 10 years /pan .

I shall be joining you pretty soon I think........ I havn't even sat in one yet:rolleyes4 I can be so impulsive:thumbsup: and can't wait to get out and drive /Steeringw

Nick Mann
13-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Leather is an option on facelift and pre-facelift. And they are interchangeable. There's not much that isn't?

Evening visits are welcome too if you would like....

Nice But
13-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Nick, will give you a call, if you don't mind, to pick your brains about things I should be looking for. Unless there is a what to look for when buying a VR4 thread? What time would be best?

Not quite used to this type of forum yet, but learning quick:happy:

AncientOfMu
14-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks all for the info and the fantastic welcome, having had a look around I think I will plump for a pre facelift model, and then spend the extra money on tweaking bits/wheels etc.

Does the facelift interior fit in a pre - facelift I wonder, Mmmmm just a thought if one ever came available. I've had leather seats for the last 10 years /pan .

I shall be joining you pretty soon I think........ I havn't even sat in one yet:rolleyes4 I can be so impulsive:thumbsup: and can't wait to get out and drive /Steeringw

I have a moo cow interior that was in mine and could certainly go back in it for the right buyer :D.

Seriously if you want to come have a nose you are more than welcome. Ill pm you my number just in case.

And a legnum interior from any model will fit in a legnum from any year.

Beastlee
14-01-2008, 09:19 AM
welcome to the Club.

I can't support enought the comments above about a club owned car, it is a much safer bet and you'll have the advantage of knowing the owner had access to the right info. I'm on my second, both from club members, and I would only consider a 3rd party car if nothing else was available.
Your choice of a pre-facelift then modding will negate the difference in BHP between pre and post-facelift autos as a boost controller will return that 20bhp (and more) immediately for under £500.
Happy hunting.

Nice But
14-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Beastie, thanks for that info...... so am I right in thinking that all pre facelifts were 260hp, then boosted to 280 after the facelift. I thought it was only between certain years?

Is there a site where I can get the info of the build path of the VR4, I like reading all that stuff.

AncientOfMu
14-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Beastie, thanks for that info...... so am I right in thinking that all pre facelifts were 260hp, then boosted to 280 after the facelift. I thought it was only between certain years?

Is there a site where I can get the info of the build path of the VR4, I like reading all that stuff.

Most of the info is available here, if you search for it. However I will summarise the power output for you.

1996-~1998 Auto were all 260bhp
~1998 - 2002? Auto were 280bhp.

ALL manuals regardless of age were 280BHP.

Nick Mann
14-01-2008, 10:44 AM
And just incase you haven't found it, there is a buyers guide on here.

Click the resources tab near the top of the screen. Although the prices are a few years out of date now!

Nice But
14-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Cheers guys....... still finding my way round /duh I can't wait to get one......

Just got to sell my RX first, maybe, got my eye on one though so watch this space.........

Tim