PDA

View Full Version : Evo 8 FQ300 brakes.

Davezj
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi all,
i am after some reasurance.

i have just bought 2 front legs from an evo8 FQ300. consisting of calliper, pads, disks, hub carriers, ABS sensors, hubs, shocks and springs.

will i be able to do a front brake upgrade with them.

I am asking before i strip, clean, paint them. just in case i have made a bad choice, and i need to sell them again.

i think they are what i am after.

Cheers dave

bradc
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
the calipers will be fine, but I highly doubt the evo hub carriers will fit onto our cars, and the abs sensors won't work, neither will the springs

Davezj
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
what is wrong with the hub carrier and abs sensors?

bradc
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I remember seeing a thread where the evo abs sensors were different. As for the hub carrier, I doubt they would bolt onto a VR-4, I might be wrong though.

Davezj
12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
i will have to do some measureing of the sonsors and carrier.

cheers for the info Brad

just done some checking and yes brad totally right the carriers are massively different, i sould have realised.

they are actually a macferson strut. with one swivel point at the bottom and an arm to connect to the steering rack. looks much cheaper to produce but not as effective as the multi link style we have on our VR4's.

i will have to check the abs sonsors for length, and see if the actual hubs are different if not then i can keep them for spares.

just as an aside the callipers are massive in comparison to the standard ones, i was gob-smacked at the size, no wonder they stop the car well and don't fade.

Roadrunner
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
If you have a post-facelift VR-4, the Evo discs and calipers will fit straight on, although you'll need at least 17" wheels to accommodate the calipers. If yours is a pre-facelift car, then they won't.

Davezj
12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
yep mine is a pre facelift, so the normal course of events would be to get facelift hub carriers and abs sensors, and evo calipers disks and pads.

has anyone tried to make a bracket to make the evo calipers fit on to the pre facelift hub carriers.

I ask this because i see other kits out there with brackets included to make none standard calipers fit on other cars.

Davezj
13-01-2008, 12:11 PM
does anyone have a set of facelift standard front calipers that they could measure for me.

i am trying to compare the pre facelift and facelift caliper mounting holes.

i need to know if the mounting holes are on the same axis just further apart (128mm pre and 153mm facelift) or if they are further out from the centre of the hub as well.

The measurent i need is the edge of the piston cylinder on the back to the start of the monting hole. i don't think it matter which piston as long as the measurement is to the nearest mounting hole. and tell me which piston it is of course.

I am assuming that it would only be the mounting hole leg of the caliper that would change and not the fundimental design of the caliper that has changed.

Gly
13-01-2008, 07:39 PM
the OZ vr4 guys have tried to have brackets made to fit brembos on a prefacelift,

long story short, theres not enough room to allow for an adaptor bracket.

Davezj
13-01-2008, 09:21 PM
is there a thread for the long story, as i am interested in why.

cheers for the info gly

peter thomson
13-01-2008, 09:37 PM
It's this one here

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471&highlight=brakes