PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Fujitsubo Super Legalis R exhaust?

Caveman
14-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi guys,

Am fed up with my Powerflow 2.5" piece of sh1t exhaust and have decided to get some quality piping. Was gonna go custom 3", but no-one can cleanly machine bend 3", and I hate the messy look of cut and weld mandrel bends.

There isn't much for Legnums off the shelf bar the Fujitsubos. I quite fancy the Super Legalis R, but am worried that it might be loud. My current 2.5" Powerflow has one large silencer and the backbox and that's just about OK - I'm worried that despite the Legalis R having 2 silencers, they do look quite small, and 3" is always louder.

Does anyone have said exhaust, and even better, is anyone local to me who has one I could hear!? I'm in Tring, Herts...

Cheers fellas,

Mart.

stu1888
14-01-2008, 06:31 PM
i have the fujitsubo exhaust tho not sure if its the legails r..

was on the car when i bought it so it must bave been on in japan..

sounds great not loud has about a 5-6 " tail pipe i think... looks the dogs tho not got it decatted as yet or downpipes done as yet

hope that helms amte

Nick Mann
14-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Kieran has that one, I think? He'll be along later to confirm or deny, I'm sure.

I think it is the best sounding off-the-shelf system I have heard. Not too loud, not droney, but tells you the car is there when pressing on.

Beastlee
14-01-2008, 06:42 PM
We had one on the last one and it is MUCH LOUDER THAN standard. Nice note outside but way too much cabin noise at any speed and flooring the car made such a loud noise that it made the car seem slower.
Loved the looks and the outside sound but wouldn't have another unless it could be made quieter inside, sound deadening the boot made no real difference.

Kieran
14-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Kieran has that one, I think? He'll be along later to confirm or deny, I'm sure.

I think it is the best sounding off-the-shelf system I have heard. Not too loud, not droney, but tells you the car is there when pressing on.

Nah, I have a Blitz Realize-TT, shipped from takakaira.com.

With standard pipes and a standard cat, it's bearable but it is noisy in cabin. with standard downpipes and cat it registered 93dB @ 0.5m at 4500 rpm at Castle Combe last year, so it's noisy but not antisocial. There are far louder systems. I would say it's about the same as the Fujitsubo as standard, but the Fujitsubo has a 'warmer' tone to it. The Blitz has more rasp but isn't as hooligan as the HKS Super Drager.

Be careful though. Now I have downpipes and a sports cat (a 100 cell super high flow jobby) it's embarassingly loud. :embarasse

The blitz uses 3" piping but necks down to 2.5" so that it'll join onto the standard cat without problem. I've customised mine to a 3" flange as the sports cat uses 3" flanges too. There's only one rear box with the blitz, so I'm looking at grafting an inline silencer onto the centre pipe to reduce the racket.

Gly
14-01-2008, 07:25 PM
i have a FGK legalis R

its not loud at all,

air travels slower thru bigger pipes, so it actually makes things quiter in a way.

specs on the fgk http://www.fujitsubo.jp/product01.php?no=390-33112&reno=00000000000000002022

its 1db quiter at 3000rpm than the stock system,

and 8db louder at most.

Turbo_Steve
14-01-2008, 08:16 PM
that's WITH the cats, though, yes?

TAR
14-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Caveman

Have you had your car long?

I'm in Aylesbury and frequently in Tring and I've never seen your car!

Tim

Nick Mann
14-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Nah, I have a Blitz Realize-TT, shipped from takakaira.com.

In which case scrub everything I said in my first post! I was talking about Kierans blatantly-not-a-Legalis-R exhaust!

Kieran
14-01-2008, 10:24 PM
In which case scrub everything I said in my first post! I was talking about Kierans blatantly-not-a-Legalis-R exhaust!

/lol

Roberto
14-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I've got the Fujitsubo Super Legalis R fitted.
Have it now for over 2 years, not that loud, just about right as far as I'm concerned.

And great build quality aswell.

Got mine from Hyline, very helpfull aswell.

Dan_G
14-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I have Fujitsubo Super Legalis R exhaust, de-cat, and proshop iida downpipes, i dont think it loud or droney. in fact sometimes i wish it was louder.

does the job though

heres a link to the exhaust + de-cat (before downpipes)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TE3n4bhpapY

and a link to a previous post with a recording.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20739&highlight=fujitsubo

Caveman
14-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi Tim,

Yeah had the car 2 years mate, but work in town so only use at weekends...

Cheers for all your replies guys - Gly, that looks promising then!

Keep 'em coming.

Mart.

Caveman
15-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Actually, one quick question to Fujitsubo owners - does the exhaust sit square with the car, or does it come out at a slight angle? Also, does it sit tucked-in nicely inside the bumper, or does it portrude from the underside slightly?

Reaon I ask is my car is lowered by 40mm, so the zorst needs o be nice and snug underneath to avoid scraping speed humps!

Thanks again,

Mart.

Gly
15-01-2008, 12:12 AM
its on a slight angle,
and sits quite nicely under, im 60mm lower and ive only manged it hit it once over a large speed bump.

Dan_G
15-01-2008, 12:15 AM
looky here:-

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/product01.php?no=390-33112&reno=00000000000000002022

the lowest part is the triangular exhaust bracket neer the rear diff... 1st week after fitting i hit a sleeping policeman/ravioli type speed bump with that bit..

normal speedbumps are ok its just those road tumour / ravioli's you have to look out for

Caveman
15-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Dan,

Thx for taking the effort to post that.

Hmmm, it does look quite low... Not sure about that slight angle on the backbox either.

Decisions, decisions! :D

Cheers,

Mart.

Beastlee
15-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Just thought I had better mention that mine was the Evolution model with a larger rear box.

MarkSanne
15-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Might be convenient to have it auto-translated: http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.fujitsubo.jp/product01.php?no=390-33112&reno=00000000000000002022

Roberto
19-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Its the Evo that I have.

Was offered both, when asked the difference was told 20quid and 2Db.

So that was me sold....:happy:

Beastlee
19-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Love the smooth look of the Evo

Throbbe
24-06-2008, 01:56 PM
The blitz uses 3" piping but necks down to 2.5" so that it'll join onto the standard cat without problem. I've customised mine to a 3" flange as the sports cat uses 3" flanges too.

Sorry for resurrection, but I'm in a similar position.

How so? Did you go as far as cutting off the reduced section and replacing in 3" or did you just open up the flange a bit?

Kieran
24-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry for resurrection, but I'm in a similar position.

How so? Did you go as far as cutting off the reduced section and replacing in 3" or did you just open up the flange a bit?

The blitz system necks down to 2.5" about an inch before the flange. I just cut this bit off, welded a new 3" flange to a piece of 3" tube, then cut the new tube to size. Then I tacked it into position and then very carefully seam welded it - To prevent distortion I basically did a bead of about 15mm at a time and left it to cool between runs. Once I was happy I then dressed the welds and added a couple of coats of VHT paint.

If I were to do it again, I would also cut out a section in order to let in a small flexi joint - simply because no matter how careful you are unless you're a pro it will not be as perfect a line up as the factory fit - An extra flexi would help minimise this difference (rather than, as I did having to do the 'tack' part about three times before I got it right).

Throbbe
24-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Cool. Makes lots of sense to eliminate any restrictions, but I'd like to avoid the hassle if I can. So, anyone knowledgeable on fluid mechanics care to agree or disagree with what I'm thinking here ...

The Fujitsubwaarp necks down very close to the flange. Like this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=287780&postcount=5)

So, if I port match/smooth the transitions with a dremel to avoid/reduce vortex shedding there should be a nice Venturi effect going on, and the localised restriction wont have a significant effect on flow capacity.

I'm assuming that exhaust gas is an incompressible fluid, although since we're well below supersonic speeds* that's not too radical an assumption. The bigger leap of faith is that the flow is laminar after the cat, which on the face of it seems wrong, but I'm actually thinking that since the sports cat has such an open structure it is actually 'laminating' the flow.

The only other variable I haven't considered (and following some googling, neither does anyone else it appears) is thermal effect of the cat on gas temperature/pressure.

To be honest, I think the only way to answer this properly is two exhausts and some dyno time, but I'd be interested to hear what people think.

* Of course, that would be REALLY cool, then I just need an extra injector to make a jet engine. :D

Kenneth
24-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Don't worry yourself about the flanges on the fujitsubo as the restriction is in the resonators which have an internal diameter of around 60mm.

I cut one up because I had 2 that were both damaged but in difference places.

miller
24-06-2008, 11:21 PM
am just about to press 'checkout' now on the Nengun site for a spanking shiny new Fuji thingy super legalised majig!!
loving the fact its only 8db over standard!

thanks for all the constructive comments, this thread pushed my decision!

Roberto
24-06-2008, 11:25 PM
3 years and 6 months later, still no problems with the Fujitsubo.

And still love the sound.

Kenneth
24-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I love their sound also :) Good choice

Throbbe
25-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Don't worry yourself about the flanges on the fujitsubo as the restriction is in the resonators which have an internal diameter of around 60mm.

I cut one up because I had 2 that were both damaged but in difference places.

Sweet, I'll still do the dremel thing to reduce turbulence, but I shan't worry so much about the restriction. More out of interest than anything, did you get some pics of the resonator?

Have some rep.

Kenneth
25-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Sweet, I'll still do the dremel thing to reduce turbulence, but I shan't worry so much about the restriction. More out of interest than anything, did you get some pics of the resonator?

Have some rep.

I may have some at home, if you bump this thread I should remember to look for you!

The fujitsubo is good for a good 185KW at the wheels (>320hp at the flywheel) with a few supporting mods, probably more.

miller
26-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Looks like a month wait as it comes in from Japland!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else ordered stuff through Nengun, ie can i rely on them? it is after all a fair wedge to pay out with no contact numbers i can ring for piece of mind.

I take it this is just cat back exhaust and i should have no problems fitting it.

they also do the profec B spec II for £156.14. is that a good price?

Mike

Throbbe
26-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm afraid mine took nearly two months, although that was through Hyeline. It has to come by boat, so times are a bit variable.

Roberto
26-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Got mine through Hyeline aswell, just have to be patient.
Slow boat from Japan, it is an impressively big box.

Fitment is very straight forward, should be no issues at all.
Its a specific design our motors.