PDA

View Full Version : Are imports worth buying.......?

Nice But
15-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I know the best car for me to buy would be one from a Club member, but I have a feeling that my RX8 is going to take a time to sell as I don't want to 'give' it away.

I've been in contact with the 2 members who have their cars for sale ATM, and hope they sell them soon, if not I'll be in touch, so the question is.

If I was looking at an import, if it came with a decent history, and a decent 12month + warranty would it be worth taking a punt on it. We have an importer here in the midlands who is going to call me when he get 3 in at the end of the month - if I've sold the Rex and the members cars have sold - is there anything specific I should have from the dealer....... he says he has supplied a couple of cars to members on here.

The company is called Daitoku in wednesbury, anybody dealt with them?

I've read the buying thread, just after some experiences really, as this would be new teritory for me.

Cheers

Tim

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I know the best car for me to buy would be one from a Club member, but I have a feeling that my RX8 is going to take a time to sell as I don't want to 'give' it away.

I've been in contact with the 2 members who have their cars for sale ATM, and hope they sell them soon, if not I'll be in touch, so the question is.

If I was looking at an import, if it came with a decent history, and a decent 12month + warranty would it be worth taking a punt on it. We have an importer here in the midlands who is going to call me when he get 3 in at the end of the month - if I've sold the Rex and the members cars have sold - is there anything specific I should have from the dealer....... he says he has supplied a couple of cars to members on here.

The company is called Daitoku in wednesbury, anybody dealt with them?

I've read the buying thread, just after some experiences really, as this would be new teritory for me.

Cheers

Tim

If you do decide to import yourself.. Then i would suggest to source an aftermarket warranty aftermarket from the likes of warranty direct. If the mileage is low enough, then you should be able to get a Fully Comprehensive Warranty that covers just about everything. /yes
Most the warrantys from garages aren't worth Jack Sheeeett..

WildCards
15-01-2008, 12:04 PM
They were all imports at one point or another Tim so I'd think it just depends on the individual car.
Downsides are that it may need better undersealing protection, it may need a few of the recalls doing on it and you probably won't know when it was last serviced.

Heard of Newera Tim? budget dependant, that's who i'd buy a fresh import from.

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 12:12 PM
They were all imports at one point or another Tim so I'd think it just depends on the individual car.

I think he means Fresh Import :scholar:

Nice But
15-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Cheers guys, indeed I have heard of Newera, will look them up, and see what they've got.

I realise at some time they all had to be imported - even the Ralliart ones - having never been down this route before, any info I may have missed would be gratefully recieved.

I would use an importer rather than doing it myself...... at least you have someone to shout at...:furious3: if needed.

Nick Mann
15-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I know a guy who has used Daitoku and is happy with his Leggy. I also know that they had another one in at the same time that he though was a bit rough around the edges.

There are plusses and minuses to buying both a previously UK owned and a fresh import. A UK car is probably more likely to be abused than a fresh import, BUT a club members car will have an open and honest history, mostly documented through these forums. A fresh import could have no history at all and unknown issues.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Personally, I would buy either, providing I could have a fekking good look at the car first.

Nice But
15-01-2008, 01:17 PM
My thoughts too Nick, there's a guy up Skipton way that has 4 in stock. Looking on Newera his cars look awesome, but more than I now want to spend so they're a no no. I could go to that price but everything else would have to wait........ and I'm impatient!!!!!

When the 8 sells may have to have a good rummage around.

A UK car is probably more likely to be abused than a fresh import
Know what you mean after seeing them hooning round Castle Coombe last year....:scholar: :evilgrin:

TAR
15-01-2008, 01:24 PM
One piece of advice, do a search on here for Keighley trade centre before you consider any of their cars.

Nice But
15-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Tar thanks, I had seen them, read the threads now, but I was looking at some from Ebony and Ivory........ sounds like a song. Only being going for a couple of years and trying to build a good rep.......

Will have to see when I've got some money to spend....... Would the AA take a warranty on an import, obviously for the 1st 12 months If I could get engine/g'box/tranny covered then that would be a bonus?

Louis
15-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I looked at Keighley a loooong time ago, and at the time they also had another 2 garages near them where the cars were also sold, i.e. thethree garages would all have a legnum for sale, but there was only one car, also the descriptions would all be different. The other garages websites were very similar to Keighley's.
There are more companys importing them now, and you can usualy get one with a full Japanese service history, good Luck

miller
15-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Ask if any members are local who would take a looksie with you at it.

I did and never regretted it, two members came with me in theirs and we had a mini CVR4 meet. The look on the guys face when all these turned up! Pricelsess. I bagged a nice low mileage import at a very nice price. History...make your own with it!

Mike

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 02:54 PM
For peace of mind !

Warranty Direct will give 12 months cover on the following:

SecureCare Warranty

The items under the following list are covered. Any item not specifically mentioned is not covered.

ENGINE

Cylinder head,
internal bushings,
oil pump,
crankshaft and bearings,
tappet gear,
valves and guides (excluding burnt or pitted valves),
pistons and rings,
cylinder bores/liners,
con rods,
distributor drive,
starter ring gear,
flywheel,
autodrive plate,
camshaft drive belts,
camshaft and cam followers,
cylinder head gasket,
turbo/intercooler units,
rocker assembly;
push rods;
timing gears;
timing belts and chains

CLUTCH

Master and slave cylinder, clutch cable and pedal assembly.

TRANSMISSION (Manual, Automatic and Overdrive)

Manual Transmission: gears, synchromesh hubs & rings, selectors, shafts, bearings, drive chains plus gearlever and bushes.
Automatic Transmission: torque converters, brake bands, valve block, governor (manual & electric) oil pump and seals, drive chains, gears, input shaft oil seal, clutches, servos and modulator valve, bearings plus gearlever and bushes.
Overdrive: Gears, shafts and bearings.

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE UNIT

Crown wheel and pinion, bushes and bearings , plus external drive shafts, universal joints and couplings, C.V. joints and differential unit.

REAR AXLE

Crown wheel and pinion, shafts, bearings, hubs and hub bearings, C.V. joints and differential unit

PROPSHAFT

Propshaft, universal joints and centre bearings.

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM

Shafts and bearings , plus propshaft, couplings, C.V. joints, front differential: interaxle differential and lock; rear differential and lock.

BRAKING SYSTEM

Master cylinder; brake servo unit, callipers, wheel cylinders, pressure reducing and proportioning valves, ABS pump and control unit

COOLING SYSTEM

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater matrix, viscous fan, thermostat housing.

STEERING

Rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, column shaft, couplings, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes and reservoir, tie rods and tie rod ends.

FUEL SYSTEM

Mechanical and electrical fuel pumps, airflow meter, fuel distributor, warm-up regulator, cold start injector, fuel gauge and tank sender unit.

DIESEL INJECTION SYSTEM

D.I.S. pump and injectors.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Ignition ECU and Ignition Coils where fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

ELECTRICS

Internal failure of the starter motor, alternator, voltage regulator, distributor, windscreen wiper motor, horn, electric window motors and front and rear windscreen washer motors, indicator flasher unit, heating fan motors and cooling fan motor.

BODYWORK

Tailgate suspension struts

CASINGS

Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.
Only the components originally fitted as standard by the manufacturer are covered unless agreed in writing by us.

This is based on a 1999 Legnum VR4 with 40/60k on the clock.

For a measly sum of £344.88 www.warrantydirect.co.uk (http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk)

or there

MajorCare Policy

The items under the following list are covered. Any item not specifically mentioned is not covered.

ENGINE

Cylinder head
Cylinder head gasket
Valves (excluding decarbonisation, burnt or pitted valves and valve seats)
Valve springs
Valve guides
Camshaft and bearings
Cam followers
Hydraulic lifters
Push rods and rocker gear
Timing gears
Chains
Belts and tensioners
Pistons
Piston rings
Cylinder liners and linear seals
Connecting rods and bearings
Gudgeon pins
Crankshaft and bearings
Oil pump and oil pump drive
Distributor drive gear
Distributor drive
Flywheel and ring gear
Flex plate/auto drive plate
Inlet and exhaust manifolds.

TURBOCHARGER

Internal failure of factory fitted turbocharger and wastegate.

GEAR BOX: MANUAL AND AUTOMATIC

Gears
Shafts
Synchromesh hubs rings and selector shafts and forks
Extension shaft
Torque convertor
Automatic transmission clutches and brake bands
Oil pump
Bearings and bushes
Valves and valve block
Governor and servo.

TRANSMISSION

Crown wheel and pinion
Differential gears and bearings
Bushes
Half shaft and half shaft bearings
Driveshafts
Bearings and constant velocity joints
Propshaft universal joints and centre bearing hubs and wheel bearings.

Only the components originally fitted as standard by the manufacturer are covered.

for £293.94

Nice But
15-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Wodjno...... what can I say, everything I needed, cheers Bud.

Miller - where did you get yours from?

Cars over 10 years old so no go on the warranty! Doh

KHK
15-01-2008, 03:32 PM
direct import by yourself should not post a great difficulty
MUST choose a good auction rating leggie to bid and buy,
at least 4.0
after arrival to UK, pay someone to finish the rest
i'm sure u can save a lot with this mode

Nice But
15-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks KHK have looked at this method, but I'm basically a lazy tw*t so if one's here and the legwork is done......... result/duh

I'm getting all excited again............ doh /toycar brrrrrrmmmmmmm

unclepete
15-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I used to have a fully specced RX-8, so glad I've got rid. Good choice! Imports are not an issue in my limited experience. The Japs seem to actually give a damn about their motors unlike most people in UK.

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 05:27 PM
The 10yr import rule ?

Is it to the day ! or the year ?

Nice But
15-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Unc, i love the Rex just need to generate some cash from it...... and thanks, I got that impression seeing some of the cars being bought over.

Wodj, that was from their website when I input the info, although it did say call for confirmation......... might be worth a call when I get one. I won't hold my breath though.

Nick Mann
15-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Wodj - my understanding is that it is to the day. A guy at work was told he couldn't have his until the exact day it was ten years old, because they couldn't register it until then.

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Unc, i love the Rex just need to generate some cash from it...... and thanks, I got that impression seeing some of the cars being bought over.

Wodj, that was from their website when I input the info, although it did say call for confirmation......... might be worth a call when I get one. I won't hold my breath though.

What i mean't was..

The 10 year rule for importing is it to the year or the day ?

ie. Now we are in 2008, can we import anything thats 1998(Jan 1st - Dec 31st)
Or is it on a rolling 10yr daily basis ?

If any of that makes sense ?

Nice But
15-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I think it is to the day........ not 100% though just what I can gather having had a scratch round the web.....

I was meaning the warranty peeps, won't touch it if it's over 10....

Wodjno
15-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I think it is to the day........ not 100% though just what I can gather having had a scratch round the web.....

I was meaning the warranty peeps, won't touch it if it's over 10....

Thats my point :D

If its to the year ie 1998, then it's less than 10yrs old..

Nick Mann
15-01-2008, 06:58 PM
*cough*

Post #19

*cough*

miller
15-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Miller - where did you get yours from?

One of the Duke boys near Hemel 'Hazard' Hempstead in a private sale:pimp2:

Mike

Wodjno
16-01-2008, 07:19 AM
*cough*

Post #19

*cough*

/dunce

Cheers Nick :D

Spirit
16-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Think most of the points have been well covered, but just wanted to add my view having had an import and a UK model that I would happily buy either as long as you follow the advice on this thread. Must say the import (which was 3 years old) was in much better condition when tickled on her belly !

Paul Beazer
16-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I dont know if you're after a leggie or saloon, but if you want a GREAT saloon have a look at MPVR4's one in the for sale section.

Nice But
16-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Paul I'm after a Leggy.

Thanks all for the input, I am now armed and dangerous............

A Leggy will be mine SOON. Now anyone want to buy an RX8 /drinkswine

unclepete
16-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Had the same problem - no one wanted to buy my RX8. Maybe my honesty in saying it had had a new gearbox, clutch, driveshaft, diff, wheels etc. put people off. I had thought that was a good thing!!!

noelweston
16-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Paul I'm after a Leggy.

Couple of things -
1) We've had two cars (FTO and Legnum) from Ebony and Ivory and been very happy with both the cars and the service - would recommend them highly. They only give (I think) 3 months warranty as standard, but we've had no issues beyond that anyway.
2) Tell me more about the RX... PM if you want - might be interested.

Nice But
16-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Noel.....you have PM

Wodjno
16-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Paul I'm after a Leggy.

I just had a call from Warranty Direct as i input some data on there site. I said it's a waste of time cos car would be over 10 years old !
He said "How Old" I said i wasn't quite sure ! He said "HOW OLD"
I said i didn't know Exactly. He said "HOW MUCH OLDER WILL THE CAR BE"
At this point i said. "With your attitude it doesn't matter how old the car is, you can Pi$$ the right off"
I then hung up /Grrr

But that asside :thinking:

I think it may be worth giving them a call. Cos i reckon they might still cover a VR4 over 10yrs old /yes

Worth a bash :scholar:

Just don't mention my name /pan

Nice But
16-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I think it may be worth giving them a call. Cos i reckon they might still cover a VR4 over 10yrs old /yes

Worth a bash :scholar:

Just don't mention my name /pan

Thanks Wodj I will when I find my car...... even a 50% of parts cost would be worth it.

unclepete
16-01-2008, 02:28 PM
This might be obvious and fairly stupid to say but I'll say it anyway. These guys give you warranties to make money, not to be nice. So 9 times out of 10, they will, and they will inevitably try to wriggle out of the 1 in 10s as well.

If my car suffers a big failure for whatever reason, and it's going to cost, I'll sell it for parts on here or give it to Mo for a bit of cash and buy myself another. At this stage in their lives, they have to be disposable cars to some extent (I don't listen to this myself though, after having put a new engine in one of mine). You can pick up a VR4 for about £3k, I was losing around £300 pcm on my RX-8 in depreciation alone - that's 10 months and you can guarantee that you won't lose much, or anything, in depreciation if you do sell the VR4 on.

Plus, they're incredibly reliable, I love them.

Wodjno
16-01-2008, 02:55 PM
This might be obvious and fairly stupid to say but I'll say it anyway. These guys give you warranties to make money, not to be nice. So 9 times out of 10, they will, and they will inevitably try to wriggle out of the 1 in 10s as well.

If my car suffers a big failure for whatever reason, and it's going to cost, I'll sell it for parts on here or give it to Mo for a bit of cash and buy myself another. At this stage in their lives, they have to be disposable cars to some extent (I don't listen to this myself though, after having put a new engine in one of mine). You can pick up a VR4 for about £3k, I was losing around £300 pcm on my RX-8 in depreciation alone - that's 10 months and you can guarantee that you won't lose much, or anything, in depreciation if you do sell the VR4 on.

Plus, they're incredibly reliable, I love them.

Same as Car Insurance companies, life insurance, house insurance!

But i bet you got them all /yes

I warrantied my Leggy with Warranty Direct nearly 41/2 years ago. 4months after my purchase my Gearbox went Kerbang /Grrr

Warranty direct paid for a complete rebuild. £2300.. No quibbles. I just paid the excess..

All i'm saying is that it's worth a thought :thinking:

WildCards
16-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Same as Car Insurance companies, life insurance, house insurance!

But i bet you got them all /yes

True, but car insurance is a legal requirement and I believe house insurance tends to be a stipulation of the mortgage lender, hence both are a necessity. A car warranty isn't, although if you want peace of mind, you pays your money.

You seemed to have done alright out of it Wodj, but would you have the same opinion if nothing had gone wrong?

Wodjno
16-01-2008, 03:53 PM
True, but car insurance is a legal requirement and I believe house insurance tends to be a stipulation of the mortgage lender, hence both are a necessity. A car warranty isn't, although if you want peace of mind, you pays your money.

You seemed to have done alright out of it Wodj, but would you have the same opinion if nothing had gone wrong?

House insurance isn't a stipulation of a mortgage. Car insurance is a legal requirement. /yes
But my point is that all these companies are out to make 1 thing! And thats a profit.. So any of the above policies are going to be fine toothed at the point of any claim..

I bought a 4 year warranty on my vehicle.. But that went out the window with the modifications :speechles

If i had no modifications for the term i had the warranty. I would have made many claims /yes

Is there anyone out there on CVR4 that has owned there vehicle for 4 years and not had to pay anything out on it ??? :inquisiti

If there is ! Then well done.. But you a are a very small percentage minority..

And if you know a decent garage :thinking: Then i'm sure by the end of the Warranty term ! You can make it definitely pay :pimp2:

People do it with house insurance all the time.. And with car insurance..

Anyways.. Just giving an option.. Like has already been said You pays ya money, you takes your choice :pimp2:

Nick Mann
16-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Buildings insurance is a stipulation on my mortgage. Contents insurance isn't.

Personally, I have paid less on carrying out my own repairs than a warranty would have cost me over the years, but I would consider one if I was paying someone to maintain the car and had no intention of modifying it. If I had paid a garage to repair my car each time it had gone wrong, then I would potentially have spent more than the cost of a warranty, assuming the parts were covered even though my car is modified.

As I do my own servicing and have a modified car, IMO a warranty is not worth the paper it is written on, let alone several hundred pounds a year.

nismoevo
21-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Goes throu the same question myself, beginning to think that its not worth to import a legnum 96-97 direct from japan to UK even if th grades are high 4.

You dont now how the previous owner has served it.

I have taken a evo direct from japan before so, this time i think its best to buy a legnum from a member on this club who has good reputation and has served the car well :)

Kieran
21-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I have taken a evo direct from japan before so, this time i think its best to buy a legnum from a member on this club who has good reputation and has served the car well :)

A sound Plan.:scholar: Don (AncientOfMu) and Malc (MBPVR4) have two good examples for sale at the moment.

nismoevo
21-01-2008, 12:09 PM
A sound Plan.:scholar: Don (AncientOfMu) and Malc (MBPVR4) have two good examples for sale at the moment.

Thats when my problems start :)
AncientOfMu seems nice, only problem that i need to take my wifes choice also.

She wants a black car.

I want a manual car.

She want leather.

Anyone have a black legnum manual with leather for sale /rally :afro:

bradc
21-01-2008, 07:01 PM
lol, that isn't going to happen! Black cars are rare, manual cars are rare, and leather is rare too. Probably one in 200 cars were made with those spec's!

You can buy a leather interior easily though

TAR
21-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Only just seen this thread.

I'm with Warranty Direct for my car. I took it out in April 2007 and told them my car was a 1997 Legnum.

They were more interested in the mileage (45000M at the time) and told me that they would cover it on their standard policy, which I think is the 1st one in Wodjno post.

There are a few posts relating to them on here and when I looked most said they were good at paying up!

Also after 90 days they will pay for worn out items as well!! up to £5K claim limit.

nismoevo
21-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Does any member in clubvr4 has an black legnum 97,manual with leather?

Nice But
21-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I doubt it...... there is a purple (looks like very dark grey in certain lights) with leather for sale by ebony and ivory in s****horpe......... it's an auto, as people have said they are like hens teeth.

The tiptronic gearbox is great, try before you buy, even my better harf likes it :happy:

Kieran
21-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, to back up what Tim says - that particular combination is VERY rare - I don't think in nearly 5 years on here I've seen that exact spec - You do see pretty much every variation on that theme (Black and Manual, Leather and Black, etc) though.

Actually... Here's a cunning plan.... Go for a Manual black Legnum with cloth (this is still a rare beast though!!!) and then buy a leather interior. If there's not one for sale on here then there's often a UK-Spec Galant V6-24 with leather being broken on Ebay....:scholar:

unclepete
22-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Dick's got a purple one (bit of black T-Cut Colourfast would make it black) with manual and black leather. You ain't going to find any more of them around. He was toying with selling it...

nismoevo
22-01-2008, 11:26 AM
A black manual 1997 well served with some mods with leather who isnt black is also okey for me :pimp2: