PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cusco Type I and Type II Lower Arm Bars

VR4 MAD
16-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Question - can someone tell me whether both Type I and Type II Cusco Lower Arm Bars can be fitted together on the same car simultaneously. Anyone know, specially anyone who has installed either type to their car.

I've not yet looked carefully under our cars to see exactly where they mount to, but a close look may answer this.

I ask because up till recently I assumed rightly or wrongly, that only one could or should be fitted at a time. I thought they both used the same mounting points.

But............looking though the Cusco catalogue I came across this photo of an EVO V or VI (CP9A) with what looks like both fitted at the same time. This got me thinking that maybe they could both be installed together to our cars too.

Now I know our cars are different suspension wise but...............can they or can't they, that is the question :thinking:

Maybe Mac from 41 might know?

Cheers guys

/toycar

d i c k i e s
16-01-2008, 04:24 AM
did it finally arrive wynn?

how long did you have to wait?

VR4 MAD
16-01-2008, 05:13 AM
did it finally arrive wynn?

how long did you have to wait?

Errrr, no not yet. /Grrr Expected last week of this month or first week of February. The wait has been rather long, but hey, it'll be here when it's here.

The front lip is the bit I'm really hanging out for. That's due the same time (it's on the same boat). :scholar: :pimp2:

/toycar

d i c k i e s
16-01-2008, 09:04 AM
yeah? what front lip u getting (another top secret project).... more goodies to store in garage then aye! hahahaha

VR4 MAD
16-01-2008, 10:16 AM
yeah? what front lip u getting (another top secret project).... more goodies to store in garage then aye! hahahaha

Well that's a BIG NO COMMENT.............OK /Grrr /pan /pan

For all you know I may have a second VR4 in the garage read to receive all these goodies................I wish. :speechles

We can all dream.............../rally

/toycar

CANDEE
16-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Well that's a BIG NO COMMENT.............OK /Grrr /pan /pan

Come on Wynn! you can let us know! :P

How is your replacement de-cat coming along? :evilgrin:

bradc
16-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing he is getting the front lip that sits on the bottom of the facelift bumper and makes it even lower than usual

VR4 MAD
16-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Come on Wynn! you can let us know! :P

How is your replacement de-cat coming along? :evilgrin:

Right this is getting a little of topic..............and I still want answers to my question, if anyone knows.

But to answer your question, need the old 2.5" decat at the moment as a template for the offset bolting of the flanges at each end, as I maybe getting a new 3" version made, in stainless, if it doesn't cost to much. :inquisiti /pan

Most engineering shops have been closed over the break and only now starting back.

BTW, if anyone knows of any places in and around Wellington that can accurately cut stainless flanges and do stainless welding, I'd like to know.

If the costs get too high, I'll just get a 3" racing cat from RHD like this (https://www.rhdjapan.com/home/products/product_detail.php?int_product_id=1537) maybe.

I'm sure I read on here that the EVO 4-5-6 Cat is the seem as ours. I did, here's the page (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219408&postcount=12).

So that where that's at, but I've not forgotten about it.

End of thread hi-jack...............:pimp2:

/toycar

Kenneth
16-01-2008, 11:20 PM
But to answer your question, need the old 2.5" decat at the moment as a template for the offset bolting of the flanges at each end, as I maybe getting a new 3" version made, in stainless, if it doesn't cost to much. :inquisiti /pan

I got my step-father to bore out the flanges in the 2.5" decat and then put 3" pipe in.

What we did was mark the flanges on the outside directly opposite each other (so marks are aligned), re-bored the flanges and then aligned the marks up with a mark (I think we used the pipe seam) on the new pipe and re-welded.

Worked well.

Kenneth
16-01-2008, 11:22 PM
The next one I make though, is going to be a V-Band coupling. that way I don't have to worry about the alignment or have to use gaskets.

Oblivion
17-01-2008, 12:37 AM
hmmm, I was thinking of getting these, the larger one at the front and smaller one for the rear....
I know the smaller one can be used at the front too but not sure both can be used in the same place.

Oblivion
13-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Did you (VR4 MAD) end up getting and fitting these? Just asking because I've finally got some $$ to buy some and I'm keen as! :D Looking at RHD Jap it says for the EC5A it fits 96-98 models but surely it would fit a '00 model too right?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Cusco-Lower-Arm-Bar-Version-I-11197

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Cusco-Lower-Arm-Bar-Version-II-Mitsubishi-23786

d i c k i e s
16-03-2008, 09:31 PM
they should all be the same. not much difference between the 98-00 models

VR4 MAD
18-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Did you (VR4 MAD) end up getting and fitting these? Just asking because I've finally got some $$ to buy some and I'm keen as! :D Looking at RHD Jap it says for the EC5A it fits 96-98 models but surely it would fit a '00 model too right?
Yea it's arrived and it's...................in storage along with all the other yet to be fitted goodies /pan /pan /Grrr

...........Just asking because I've finally got some $$ to buy some and I'm keen as! :D Looking at RHD Jap it says for the EC5A it fits 96-98 models but surely it would fit a '00 model too right?

90% sure that there's no difference in the suspension geometry between any of the 8G VR4s, pre or post facelift, so should fit no worries.

Your timing to get stuff from RHD is unfortunate because the NZ dollar has fallen through the floor overnight against the Japanese Yen......../Grrr so things just got more expensive for you sorry to say.

hmmm, I was thinking of getting these, the larger one at the front and smaller one for the rear.....

Well this is news to me. :speechles I've not seen that done. Will need to have a close look underneath the rear suspension pick-up points of my VR4 to see if this can indeed be done............mmmmmmmmmmm :inquisiti

........I know the smaller one can be used at the front too but not sure both can be used in the same place.

Well the reason I asked this question in the first place was because while cruising the car sales yards (as you do), I found a nice EVO VII up on one of those display ramp thingies. And there in plain site, in all their blue glory, were the Cusco lower arm braces. Both the type I and type II together at the front under the engine.

And so I went looking on the Cusco site and found the info you see in my first post in this thread. Now the question is, can we do this too.

Still aren't any the wiser yet.........but I'll keep looking and asking.

BTW, question for those who have a Cusco brace fitted. Can the existing standard plastic undertray be refitted once the Type II brace is in place?

/toycar

Oblivion
19-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Your timing to get stuff from RHD is unfortunate because the NZ dollar has fallen through the floor overnight against the Japanese Yen......../Grrr so things just got more expensive for you sorry to say.
/toycar

Oh crap! Ok so at the mo NZ$1 = 80 yen, what would be a fairer rate to wait for?

Yea it's arrived and it's...................in storage along with all the other yet to be fitted goodies

Ohhh thats almost criminal :P C'mon fit them up :) Grant us with your wisdom :scholar: Tell us where they fit! :D ?Both at the front?Front and rear?

VR4 MAD
19-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Oh crap! Ok so at the mo NZ$1 = 80 yen, what would be a fairer rate to wait for?

Just last week the Yen was up to around 88 Yen to the NZD.

If you want to keep an eye on the exchange rate for the Yen, see here (http://www.nbnz.co.nz/economics/exchange/nzdjpy.aspx).

You can see from the third graph down on that web page, during last year, around July and August the exchange rate was simply just bl**dy great with a high of over 98 Yen to the NZD. It was during that time that I got heaps of goodies from RHD and other places too. :scholar: :pimp2:

As you can see, it been up and down lots over the recent past, so patience, just wait till it goes up again. But anything over around 86 Yen to the NZD and I'd think seriously about getting what you want. Yes it might go higher and then again it could fall through the floor as it's done several times this year already.

Hope that may help a bit but it is really a big gamble what the exchange rates will do............../Grrr Just don't wait too long as the general tread seems to be downwards these days as the global economy gets into more and more sh1t...........:speechles

............Ohhh thats almost criminal :P C'mon fit them up :) Grant us with your wisdom :scholar: Tell us where they fit! :D ?Both at the front?Front and rear?

Right, just to set the record straight here. I only got the Type II brace as I wrongly, as it now appears, thought they were both only for the front and not able to fit the rear. I think only the Type I may be able to be fitted at the rear, though this needs to be confirmed.

Again I assumed that both Type I and II used some of the same mounting points, thus once one was fitted the other could not then be fitted at the same time. This is now appearing to be incorrect as they seem to mount to quite separate points on the front suspension, thus can be installed together there.

Will try to do a trial fitting over Easter to see what the story is and report back.

/toycar

Oblivion
21-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Surely there must be someone here with both bars?!

I read here, near the bottom it says "USE For use on the front and rear"

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/Cusco-Lower-Arm-Bar-Version-I-11197#

VR4 MAD
21-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Surely there must be someone here with both bars?!

I read here, near the bottom it says "USE For use on the front and rear"

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/Cusco-Lower-Arm-Bar-Version-I-11197#

True that. Never spotted that before. Not that I doubted you anyway, but it's always good to have conformation and to see it in writing.

/toycar

Oblivion
29-03-2008, 06:29 AM
My apologies for leading you astray, I've just tried ordering a bar for the rear from RHD Japan and it turns out they're only available for the front. /pan They will be changing the page to reflect this.

Any further developments if they'd both go on the front?:thinking: