PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of this one??

siklid
17-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi

I am looking to buy this galant 2.0 sports and I was wondering what you guys thought of it and whether its worth the £4,399 asking price. its got 63k on the clock .This is my second ever car since im only 20 years old. Any comments would be helpfull.

thank you all.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MITSUBISHI+GALANT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-62-4294963613-4294967258/advert.action?R=200801301268619&distance=54&postcode=W11+1SA&channel=CARS&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

pitslayer
17-01-2008, 03:02 AM
looks a tidy car, i know my old V6 is up forsale for 800 quid, on pistonheads, reg is Pez something now. i miss that car, if i had the cash and a place to put it id buy it back.
looks nice, it could be a good price i dont know, only owned the V6s myself,

siklid
17-01-2008, 03:12 AM
ok thanx. yer I was looking on pistonhead as well but didnt find anything on der dat i want. i cant afford a 2.5L one because its gonna kill my pokcets with petrol. do you know wat the bhp is on that one because i cant find it nower.

bradc
17-01-2008, 03:31 AM
the 2.5l is actually very similar in consumption to the i4 because the i4 has to pull around such a big car. Lots of V6 2.5 Galants regularly get 30-35mpg

siklid
17-01-2008, 03:34 AM
ok kl. is that what that one is called? the i4?

pitslayer
17-01-2008, 03:40 AM
i cant stand txt spk, makes its so hard to read.
if it were me personally i would go V6 you have the power to upset a lot of cars on the road, and i got 36mpg out of mine

edit: and joining the club you get alot and i mean alot of info about the cars, and you get a discount on insurance and amsoil
double edit: bear in mind if your worried about the cost of running it on the petrol side, i think you should have a scout around and see how much parts are for these. they are described as a luxury saloon without the prestige, when they break which they do, like all cars do, these tend to be expensive, so find a good one
spark plugs can cost you upto £30 each, you can get cheap ones aswell. 6,500 mile oil and filter change
clutch will set you back 100 odd quid
sometimes your gearbox can go, and ive found them to range from £400-£3200
lowerarms will set you back 115 quid
that god damn clock, always breaks /lol
brakes, if your to harsh with them, you will warp the discs in no time, these will set you back about £120+ i prefer to spend the £180 odd on the mitsi discs last longer much better qaulity, pads are about 30-40 quid.

basically, look out for the best one you can afford, check for any knocking sqeauks rattles when driving it, check everything works and i mean everything, buy with your head not your heart. i dont want to put you off buying one, just look around for a really good one that has had a lot of money spent on it very good service history and drives like a new car. made the mistake once, its taken 3k and almost 2 years to get it sorted out. like i say i dont want to put you off buying one, just check everything over, and make sure it is immaculate.

siklid
17-01-2008, 04:01 AM
sorry im used to txt writting. kl = cool. I thought this car was v6 24v??? yea but its a little hard to navegate in this site. I cant find the correct information that I need. and second of all I dont even know the model number or anything about this car. hopfully I will do my homework and find out more, but you guys are helping. I will be going to see the car in about a week or so. so hopefully I can get all your suggestion and comments before I buy it.

siklid
17-01-2008, 04:10 AM
thanks alot mate, this info is realy helpfull. it sounds ok, the parts for the current car I have now (mazda 323) cost about the same, actuly more, my new cluch set me back £200!!! but its ok because my car has never broken down on me.. EVER!! and its got 137000 on the clock. I love japanese cars.

AncientOfMu
17-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Just as a quickish reply to help you out.

I think we can ignore the VR4 for a while so....

Galants and Galant estates were made from 1996 to 2003 roughly.(I'm only talking about UK here).

There were three engines available. 4 Cylinder 2.0 litre, 4 Cylinder 2.4 litre and V6 2.5 litre.

In terms of fuel consumption between the three, as Brad has said because of the weight of the galant there isnt much difference between the three.

Pitslayer is incorrect on some of his points.

Oil and filter changes are every 9000 miles on the V6.
The clock breaking is usually a very very easy fix. (you could search on here for the fix)
I purchased fron and rear discs and pads all round for my V6 for £140. (you can get stuff cheap if you ask on here or look around on the net)
Gearboxes do go and yes they are expensive, especially for the auto, however providing they are looked after they should be fine.

I have autoboxes on both my V6 and VR4 and after a good fluch with Amsoil I havnt had a single problem with them.

In response to the vehicle you are looking at... looks nice but I would have thought a little overpriced myself.

The biggest reccommendation I can give you is read as much as you can on here and learn as much as you can before you impulse buy a car. Also take a club member with you if you possibly can.

They do go wrong, as all cars do, however I purchased my V6 estate with 85000 on the clock, ive now done 110000 and the only thing to go wrong has been the aircon pump which I got a second hand replacement from a member on here for next to nothing.

If I can help you with anything else just shout,

and welcome :)

I-S
17-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I bought my 2.0GLS when I was 21. Check your insurance rate as they're not desperately cheap cars to insure.

Parts can be silly money. Clutch replacement (inc labour) can run around £450, and it's things that can only be got from mitsubishi that hurt (eg coil pack).

Ignoring the VR4 for now, AofM described the engines for you. A little more on their characters:

2.0 4G63 - Very smooth for a 4 cyl, pretty linear. Happy to rev but you don't have to.
2.4 4G64GDI - Not as smooth as the 2.0. Doesn't like to rev so much, but it has the most torque of the three, and lower down the range. It's the most economical of the three (although not by an enormous margin unless you live on the motorway). It's pernickety about a lot of things though and the hardest to maintain.
2.5 6A13 - The smoothest. Again pretty linear. Fuel consumption very similar to the 2.0 unless you lead-foot it around town.

I think £4399 is well over the odds for that car however. I got my 01X 2.4GDI elegance estate with 75k on it for £2450.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Looks liks a good car - I've noticed a few late reg galants coming on AutoTrader in the last week or so...

Following up from what Isaac says about engines - here's a bit about trim.

SPORT models (available in 2.0 and 2.5 V6-24V) weren't available with leather - cloth only. You did get a sunroof with them though which weren't available (not even as an option) on the Classic, Equipe and Elegance. I may be right in thinking the sun roof may have only been available on the Sport on the early models (2001 on an 01 and 51 plate) with the twin front circular spot / fog lights. Plus 2.0 came with manual air con - 2.5 with climate control air con.

Here's what was different on the Classic, Equippe and Elegance models.

CLASSIC & EQUIPPE: manual air con, cloth seats - leather were an option that hardly any new buyers took. Classic is the 2.0 ltr and the Equippe is the same but with the 2.4 GDi engine... Both models came with CD radio.

ELEGANCE: replaces manual air con with cimate control, leather seats as standard and comes with a cassette radio AND 6 disc CD auto changer.

Colours - on the last models from 2001 to 2003 there were black, silver, white and mauve... The Sport models replaced mauve with a lovely deep purple-black colour... lush! You'll find silver and black the most popular.

As an 03 Elegance owner, I plumped for this car because I prefered the leather seats to the 'hard' feeling cloth first and foremost... and the purr of the 2.5 engine is bliss... Reminds me of a VR4 without the turbos and boot! But it does shift! I had a 6 generation Galant before, a 2.0i, and the V6 is a fantastic progression to my third Galant car!

Imports for these cars to the UK stopped autumn 2002 with the Elegance (which only was sold for 11 / 12 months before being pulled)... Any cars on 52 and 03s are the last ones hanging around the dealer network unregistered.

As AcientOfMu says, sign up here as a paid member - it will be the best £20 you'll ever spend - both in researching your buy, and if you get it, as a resource to help you change a light bulb on the car!

Good luck - and ask away any thing that springs to mind!

I-S
17-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Not all Elegance have leather. My GDI Elegance has velour.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Not all Elegance have leather. My GDI Elegance has velour.

The run out models (shark nosed fronts - 2001 > ) had leather as standard on Elegance models while there were cloth interiors on the Classic 2.0 and 2.4 Equippe GDI as standard - but you could option leather for an aditional cost on these. Sports had cloth as standard with no leather option.

The velour were on the models upto 2000 / 01 - non-shark nose...? There's no velour option / spec on the shark nosed Galants.

siklid
17-01-2008, 02:00 PM
wow.. thats a lot to take in.. ermm, well I have checked my insurance and it will be £1,500 (3rd party fire and theft) when i turn 21. which is in about a months time. the thing is I luv the look of this car soo much that the cost of the parts doesnt bother me.

I dont know if I can get some moeny off the car because it a dealership and not a person. I will try tho.

I will join this site properly for £20, thanks for telling me about the benefits.

regading anyone from this forum that can come with me to see it, how should I go about doing that? i live in london

so let me get this clear, the one i want to buy is a 2.0 sport V6 24vaulvs correct?

many thanks :)

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Almost! 2.0 Sport - which is a 4-cylinder 16v injected engine... 2.5's are the V6-24 valve engines...

Look to lop a max of £500 off the price - maybe realistically £300 - £500 if it was 'briefcase cash' - and that's if there's been no interest in the car and he's desperate to shift it and get his money back...

Be picky on these cars - as they should be well looked after as the majority are bought by individuals for personal use, and are looked after as they are older, serial Galant owners...

I'd love to help you out and pop down as I'm in west London - but i'm doing a mix of overnight and day shifts at the moment into the middle of next week.

Davezj
17-01-2008, 02:11 PM
wow.. thats a lot to take in.. ermm, well I have checked my insurance and it will be £1,500 (3rd party fire and theft) when i turn 21. which is in about a months time. the thing is I luv the look of this car soo much that the cost of the parts doesnt bother me.

I dont know if I can get some moeny off the car because it a dealership and not a person. I will try tho.

I will join this site properly for £20, thanks for telling me about the benefits.

regading anyone from this forum that can come with me to see it, how should I go about doing that? i live in london

so let me get this clear, the one i want to buy is a 2.0 sport V6 24vaulvs correct?

many thanks :)

refering last line of your post,

you are talking about 2 different engines there.

1. 2.0L in line 4 cylinder engine
2. 2.5L V6 24 Valve engine.

Edit:
you beat me to the post.

siklid
17-01-2008, 02:19 PM
oooh ok I was hopeing it will be more powerfull then that. I live in west london as well actuly. I havent actuly set a date to see it yet, I was just planning to go next week. Do you think we could meet up or somtime in west london just to get your view on this car or to help me find another galant thats better.

many thanks

Nick Mann
17-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Get an insurance quote on the 2.0 and the 2.5. If it doesn't make much difference, I would go for the 2.5 every time. It is a very smooth engine, with plenty of torque, and you will almost certainly get a few extra toys on it. The MPG doesn't change much between the two.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Get an insurance quote on the 2.0 and the 2.5. If it doesn't make much difference, I would go for the 2.5 every time. It is a very smooth engine, with plenty of torque, and you will almost certainly get a few extra toys on it. The MPG doesn't change much between the two.

Ditto - read the reviews of these cars on HonestJohn.co.uk and Parkers and they sing about both of the engines in these cars - but plump for and praise the 2.5's...

Until you turn the key on a 2.5 - and pull away - do you appreciate the purr!

Insurance, as Nick says, between the 2.0 and 2.5s isn't much.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 02:52 PM
oooh ok I was hopeing it will be more powerfull then that. I live in west london as well actuly. I havent actuly set a date to see it yet, I was just planning to go next week. Do you think we could meet up or somtime in west london just to get your view on this car or to help me find another galant thats better.

many thanks

Certainly - PM me anytime and we can go from there.

siklid
17-01-2008, 03:19 PM
thanks HMG1k. yer I have done an insurance check on both the 2.0 and the 2.5 and its not much different you guys are riht. BUT the price is alot different to fill up the tank. and iv worked out (dont ask me how) how mch it is apporxametly for the 2.0 one and the 2.5 one.

2.0 to fill up the tank = £70 max
2.5 to fill up the tank = £95 max

and I cant aford £95 a week for petrol. because I drive my car everyday and my 1.6 last me about week and that costs £45 to fill up. but i cant afford to put more hen £70 in my tank a week. If you guys dissagree with my calculations please let me know because my freinds have all told me not to go for the 2.5 because of fule costs.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 03:30 PM
thanks HMG1k. yer I have done an insurance check on both the 2.0 and the 2.5 and its not much different you guys are riht. BUT the price is alot different to fill up the tank. and iv worked out (dont ask me how) how mch it is apporxametly for the 2.0 one and the 2.5 one.

2.0 to fill up the tank = £70 max
2.5 to fill up the tank = £95 max

and I cant aford £95 a week for petrol. because I drive my car everyday and my 1.6 last me about week and that costs £45 to fill up. but i cant afford to put more hen £70 in my tank a week. If you guys dissagree with my calculations please let me know because my freinds have all told me not to go for the 2.5 because of fule costs.

No problem!

Fuel costs - a few weeks ago I filled up my 2.5 and it was around £60 to the brim (I was running really low ahead of that fill up)...!

Folks - is that what you all find...?

One word on servicing costs - I know it was briefly touched on here with service schedules - but there's not much difference in servicing costs between a 2.0 and a 2.5...

philip

Nick Mann
17-01-2008, 03:42 PM
It's not the cost of filling the tank - it's how many miles you get for that tankful?

They both cost the same to fill, 'cause the tanks are the same size.

The 2.0 should get nearly 350 miles to a tank. (Manual version)
The 2.5 should get over 300 miles to a tank. (Manual version)

Both with a tank cost of £55-60.

Bear in mind that an auto 2.0 can have worse MPG than a manual 2.5!

Official figures are 34 MPG for a manual 2.0 and 31 MPG for a manual 2.5. Not much difference - maybe 10% and certainly not the 20-25% you have mentioned above!

siklid
17-01-2008, 03:48 PM
are you sure theres no difference between tank costs. see now im tempted to go for the 2.5 one

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Nick's right!

They are both 60 litre tanks in the cars, so the cost of filling is the same litre for litre - it's the fuel price that matters, and more importantly the MPG!

Kieran
17-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I went from an Automatic 2.0GLS to a 2.5V6 Sport with a manual gearbox.

Having owned both I would go back to a 2.0 GLS over the V6. For a few reasons:

MPG. The GLS managed about 29mpg with mixed driving and an hours commute to work each day. I could have got more than that had I have driven more economically. The V6 averaged about 26~28 mpg when I worked it out. Not a huge difference but noticeable. Unless I drove with feather feet it was usually nearer 26mpg. It was better on a run.

Servicing - Had them both main dealer serviced, didn't seem much in it. From a DIY perspective I'd say the GLS was the easier car - even on basics like oil changes, the filter is more accessable on the GLS.

Ride & Road manners.... When Mitsubishi facelifed the cars and introduced 'Sport' models, they faffed about with the dampers and fitted 17" alloys. Unfortunately whilst my V6 had better grip, the ride and comfort were less good. Having said that, the GLS was a 'wallowy' car.

siklid
17-01-2008, 04:00 PM
ok. thanx a lot. what do you guys think of this one then.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MITSUBISHI+GALANT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-62-4294963613-4294967258/advert.action?R=200801301346070&distance=69&postcode=W11+1SA&channel=CARS&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

and why is it so much cheeper then the 2.0 one and its got more and its lower millage I dont understand how why its cheeper.

siklid
17-01-2008, 04:04 PM
interesting. so your saying the 2.0 is better then the v6... so all they done different to the sports version is bigger alloys and dammpers. otherwise is it the same as the GLS 2.0?

Paul Beazer
17-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Both fuel tanks are the same.
You need to be looking at the mpg figures to get an idea of fuel costs, not the engine size and fuel tank capacity.

Paul Beazer
17-01-2008, 04:12 PM
ok. thanx a lot. what do you guys think of this one then.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MITSUBISHI+GALANT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-62-4294963613-4294967258/advert.action?R=200801301346070&distance=69&postcode=W11+1SA&channel=CARS&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

and why is it so much cheeper then the 2.0 one and its got more and its lower millage I dont understand how why its cheeper.
The V6 isnt a facelift, so it could be older dealer stock.
Also i think that the 2.0 is way overpriced. You could have a VR4 for that!
I bought my V6 sport when it was 5 years old for approx £4k, but it had higher mileage.
Given a choice id have the V6 anytime for the loverly noise it makes. Nothing wrong with the 2.0l per se, just i'd rather have a V6 for the power and noise. Good luck in finding a good one.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Yep - Paul's right on the non-facelift... Just to add that same car was advertised bythe same person around September last year, with the same pix!

Ask yourself if you would like the run out shark-nosed (VR4 looking) Galants (2001 - 2003) or the previous standard one without the aggressive front.

Just to add you get one or two more toys on non-facelift V6-24V Galants, including electric and heated seats...

By the way, Kieran's correct on the road manners - I swear i sit lower on my V6 Elegance on the 17" alloys than my old 6G Galant, even with all the seat adjustments on UP HIGH!

siklid
17-01-2008, 04:54 PM
hmmm... i dont know what to do now.. can you guys just find me a galant that you think is worth the money and ill buy it. iv got £5000 to spend

Kieran
17-01-2008, 04:58 PM
hmmm... i dont know what to do now.. can you guys just find me a galant that you think is worth the money and ill buy it.

Heh! £5k will get you a good one.

You'll find one for sure, and sometimes if you spot a car that's near a member, you might be able to get one of them to come with you for an experienced view.

But finding and making the descision rests with you! ;) "The wizard doesn't choose the wand, the wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter!"

Paul Beazer
17-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Hell yeah £5k should get you a good facelift one easy.
I'd guess you could get one with FDSH from say 2002 in good nick fairly easily.

siklid
17-01-2008, 05:07 PM
what do you mean by good facelift and FDSH?

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Yep and yep Paul and Kieran!

£5k gets you into facelift late (52 or 03 plate) Galant 2.0 Classic or 2.4 Equippe cars... 01 > 02 plate 2.0 and 2.5 V6 Sports - and some 02 2.5 Elegances...

£5,800 is current book price for a late 52 or 03 2.5 Elegance with the leather.

Facelift if the shark-nosed aggressive front, found on the VR4s... FSDH is Full Dealer Service History... Accept nothing less at this price and with these cars!

siklid
17-01-2008, 05:46 PM
im not sure of what to get now.. hav anyone got a v6 that lives in london.. i just want to see the car before I buy a v6. I dont mind paying someone to test drive there car or somthing. I just want to make sure i get the correct one and that I will be able to maintain it. HMG1K dd you get my PM that i sent you?

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Yep - sorry, haven't got round to reading it yet... At work and dashing in and out of meetings... Will read in a tick... Where abouts in west London are you..?

siklid
17-01-2008, 05:59 PM
oh ok thats cool. i live in notting hill.

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 06:01 PM
PM'd you!

siklid
17-01-2008, 06:12 PM
didnt gt no pm :(. just add me to msn if you have one. my msn is parvis200@hotmail.com

dave221
17-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Looks liks a good car - I've noticed a few late reg galants coming on AutoTrader in the last week or so...

SPORT models (available in 2.0 and 2.5 V6-24V) weren't available with leather - cloth only.

I have an early sport V6 fitted with black leather. I've seen others so I assume it was fitted from new!

HMG1K
17-01-2008, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=HMG1K]Looks liks a good car - I've noticed a few late reg galants coming on AutoTrader in the last week or so...

SPORT models (available in 2.0 and 2.5 V6-24V) weren't available with leather - cloth only. /QUOTE]

I have an early sport V6 fitted with black leather. I've seen others so I assume it was fitted from new!

You're right - I stand corrected!/pan These must be rarer than the ones with the twin front round fog lights... There's a V6 Sport estate on AutoTrader at the mo with leather too...

bradc
18-01-2008, 06:15 AM
Kieran is wrong, don't listen to him :) (he's ginger you see)

The V6 manuals are by far the best option to go for, almost as economical as the 2.0, they sound superb and have plenty of power.

I've had over 35mpg from mine, and I have a 4wd jap spec wagon, which should use a lot more fuel than the 2wd uk galants! My car is about 200-250kg heavier!

pitslayer
18-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Kieran is wrong, don't listen to him :) (he's ginger you see)

The V6 manuals are by far the best option to go for, almost as economical as the 2.0, they sound superb and have plenty of power.

I've had over 35mpg from mine, and I have a 4wd jap spec wagon, which should use a lot more fuel than the 2wd uk galants! My car is about 200-250kg heavier!
i was going to say, why are we listening to kieran? he is the only person on here who likes looking at a dirty car, infact he loves dirty cars, especially galants, and has a wierd garage door fetish, strange boy /pan

the V6s are the best to go for, they really do sound excellent, lower them and you can chuck them around a bit aswell, and they will upset so many cars on the road, ive had over 35mpg out of mine, did about 800-900 miles on 2 tanks of fuel and a bit, newport to brugge-brugge to newport. and did we mention they make a fahoooking excellent sound, /rally

Kieran
18-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Yeah, but to be fair Brad, your MPG figures are unusual - Hell, you can eek about 30mpg out a VR-4! You seriously must push it everywhere!!

The V6 is a good car, don't get me wrong. And the V6-24 (the ones that don't have VR-4 bumpers) are very good indeed. Quiet, comfortable and they often have electric beige moo-cow and wood. And of course they have climate control and headlamp washers. They're better than the Sports in my opinion.

But I still maintain that if you want a completely headache free ownership experience and that economy, reliability and servicing costs are a concern, the GLS is the one to have. It's cheaper, just as good to drive - Okay it's not a fast car but to condemn it on that alone is rather missing the point. And that 4 cylinder engine is smoother than a smooth thing's smooth bits.... It's so quiet at idle you'd think that there IS a 6 cylinder motor under the bonnet.:scholar:

siklid
18-01-2008, 03:23 PM
hmmm interesting.. Im so tempted to go for the v6 now. and looking at the bhp difference it is convincing.. the sport 2.0 is 131bhp and the v6 is 300bhp.. but the only thing it comes down to for me is the mpg on the v6.

Nutter_John
18-01-2008, 03:27 PM
errr the v6 is around 161bhp not 300bhp , you may be getting confuddled with the vr4

HMG1K
18-01-2008, 03:35 PM
errr the v6 is around 161bhp not 300bhp , you may be getting confuddled with the vr4

Yep - certainly are!

Nick Mann
18-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Aye! And for 300 bhp you are looking at 18mpg. Not quite the same as the 30 of the standard V6!

The VR4 has the same size engine as the V6, but it has a couple of turbochargers as well. That is the major difference in power and economy. If you are worried about running costs, then don't go for a VR4!

siklid
18-01-2008, 04:29 PM
oh sorry my bad im mistaking the v6 for the vr4. yer i think i have made up my mind and im going to go for the sport 2.0 its not that much different to the v6 gls or any 2.5l. I would have gone for the VR4 but insurance is saying £6000 3rd party fire and theft. thank you guys for your help. i will keep you updated on which 2.0 sports i get if not this one.

prodigymad
18-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I have got the 2.0 ltr sport model and it comes with lovely black leather interior!!

Are you sure the one in the picture is a SPORT model as it doesn't have the rear boot spoiler. I'm not too sure if this was standard on the sport.

I would say the asking price is too much - i got mine last year and it was around the 3.5k mark and that was for a 51 reg with 65k miles, FSH, etc.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z157/prodigymad/Galant2ltrSport.jpg

HMG1K
18-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi,

I have got the 2.0 ltr sport model and it comes with lovely black leather interior!!

Are you sure the one in the picture is a SPORT model as it doesn't have the rear boot spoiler. I'm not too sure if this was standard on the sport.

I would say the asking price is too much - i got mine last year and it was around the 3.5k mark and that was for a 51 reg with 65k miles, FSH, etc.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z157/prodigymad/Galant2ltrSport.jpg

Nice car!

Spoilers were options on all Galants - apart from the VR4s... The you could get the low spoiler as an option, or the 'sport' style, which was basically a VR4 type spoiler, without the central 3rd brake light...

You must have the ultra rare sports with leather!

siklid
19-01-2008, 05:13 AM
reallyy... well the car is advertised as a sport version and the registration number corresponds with the details of the car when i run it though insurance so im worred now because It dnt have leather seats. The problem is that its so hard to find a good 2.0 sports version. are you selling yours by any chance and if not, is it possible to meet up somewhere so i can see your car if you live in london or are planing to visit london anytime soon....

HMG1K
19-01-2008, 11:14 AM
reallyy... well the car is advertised as a sport version and the registration number corresponds with the details of the car when i run it though insurance so im worred now because It dnt have leather seats. The problem is that its so hard to find a good 2.0 sports version. are you selling yours by any chance and if not, is it possible to meet up somewhere so i can see your car if you live in london or are planing to visit london anytime soon....

Sounds like Prodigymad has a very rare and early shark-nosed front with leather as the Sport brouchre I have states cloth and has photos of cloth interiors...

#If you really are desperate for a Sport and leather but don't care on body style, there is exactly that selling on AutroTrader at the moment.. Search for galants... order your search from price high > low and it's on the first (possibly second page by the time you read this)... but it is an estate.

siklid
19-01-2008, 01:47 PM
na, estates aint my cupa tea, i dont have a family yet im only 20...lol, I just want a sports 2.0 with leather seats. if wors comes to worse ill just try and get some from a scrap yard or somthing. or leather seat covers.

HMG1K
19-01-2008, 02:13 PM
na, estates aint my cupa tea, i dont have a family yet im only 20...lol, I just want a sports 2.0 with leather seats. if wors comes to worse ill just try and get some from a scrap yard or somthing. or leather seat covers.

At 17, my first car was a 3rd generation 2.0 Galant Estate...:pimp2:

They were known at the time, in 1980 in the UK, as a Mitsubishi-Colt Sigma (before eventually becoming known as a Galant over here) - and what a fine car it was... Same car and colour as the one below - except the image is of a saloon.

Ah... memories! :happy:

siklid
19-01-2008, 06:35 PM
i would love to own that car..

andy p
21-01-2008, 12:58 AM
£450 for a clutch......jeez.. Can I do the next one for you?

I did my wifes 2.0 GLS in three hours and reconn clutch cost £55+Vat (Trade)! 35K Miles later still fine.

ritch_w
21-01-2008, 08:55 AM

They were known at the time, in 1980 in the UK, as a Mitsubishi-Colt Sigma (before eventually becoming known as a Galant over here) - and what a fine car it was... Same car and colour as the one below - except the image is of a saloon.

snap - except it was my mums, and red :afro: ah the memories!

siklid
27-01-2008, 12:30 AM
GREAT NEWS!!

I finaly went down there to buy the galant! and I managed to get a great deal on it at £4000! And there gona fit in a new time belt system and a full service for free!! so i save about £900!! im soo happy!! i am going to go pick it up on wednesday!!.. heres some new pictures i have got from it. Thanks to all you guys that helped, i apreaciate it a lot!!! I will keep you guys posted on what mods I am going to do to it.. I am thinking about full limo black tints, a new exhust system and leather seat covers.. ofcours my sound system is going to be put in from my old car (4 subs, 3 apms, 1 power cap, 10 mids and 2 twiters) I hope it all fits. more pictures will be uploaded soon.

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Nice interior! :thumbsup:

HMG1K
27-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Pleasure we could all help! And congratulations!

siklid
28-01-2008, 05:32 PM
ok bad news you guys.. the dealership just phoned me and said that they cant sell the car to me because of the warrenty. they said that their warrenty will not cover where I live, which is bull**** becuase they never said thqat before. I am only 54miles from them and it even sez that they cover london. I even put a £200 deposit on it as well so I dont understand how they could back out!! they said they will send my deposit back. :( to be honest I think they just got a higher paying buyer. or it could be that theres something seriously wrong with the car and they wont give me a warrenty because it might break down on the way or somthing. I am so piiiissd off because its sooo bloody hard to find a 2.0 sport galant ANYWHERE!!! so i am back to square one :( anyone know of any galants for sale??

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 05:49 PM
That is soooooooooooo bad!

Everything happens for a reason - and it's bull on the warranty as it will be underwritten by X company and sold by Y company that the dealer will buy in and sell on to a car's buyer - so your fall back is via the warranty company.

You may be right with a higher paying buyer - or perhaps you were served by 'Saturday boy' who promised you the service and the like, and when his boss found out today saw how much he'd loose on the sale and wanted out...

The bight side..?! There are over 100 Galants on AutoTrader at the mo - many the 2.5 V6-24v Elegance - same spec as sport but 2.5 engine (like the VR4 but without the twin pots and super tuning) with leather seats and side SRS airbags, all for the same sort of cash as that car you nearly got...

Keep smiling - your next car you look at will be worth it - just make sure you get that deposit back!

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 05:51 PM
OR !!!!

Perhaps they didn't have the keys to the cars to thr front and back of the Galant you saw and can't get your car out !!!

Just a thought!

Johnny_Cashed
28-01-2008, 07:12 PM
My first thought was a higher paying buyer too. However, you may want to look at an elegance model, MGV6 has mentioned to me some of the features missing from the sport that you would have thought it would have. Even so, there seem to be plenty of sport models on ebay, I had to travel a bit to find my galant but it was worth it.

bradc
28-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Another one will turn up that is just as good

d i c k i e s
28-01-2008, 10:14 PM

da misus had one of these... think it was called a sigma tho?

HMG1K
28-01-2008, 10:23 PM
da misus had one of these... think it was called a sigma tho?

That's the one! A Mitsubishi-Colt (Colt cos the UK importer is known as Colt Car Company) Sigma!

Beautiful!

The same car with a tweaked radiator grill and all in one headlights (instead of twin headlights) changed from a Sigma to a Galant in the UK.

siklid
29-01-2008, 04:16 AM
yer i guss soo.. i did actuly test drive the car and it was gd.. i just had my heart set on this one soo much.. told all my mates and everything.. the only thing about the elegence on is the fule consumption. i need a 2.0l, manual, black galant and it just seems like i am mineing for gold here. i cant nid any!!! andthe thing is I cant travell more then 60-70 miles beacause its just not worth it if I end up not buying the car. I might just goo crazy one of these days and go for the 2.5 sport or elegance model and just see how long I can survive withought eating food lol. but if you guys do come accross a galant with those 3 specifications that is about 60-70 miles away from lodon please inform me.. becausde to be honest i cant see my self buying any other car.. I have looked on ebay but cant find any good ones. how much is a full body respray by the way for a galant?, because then I could buy a silver or red one then respary it matt black...

Johnny_Cashed
29-01-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't think the 2 litre fuel consumption is all that much better than the 2.5 V6?

HMG1K
29-01-2008, 10:45 AM
yer i guss soo.. i did actuly test drive the car and it was gd.. i just had my heart set on this one soo much.. told all my mates and everything.. the only thing about the elegence on is the fule consumption. i need a 2.0l, manual, black galant and it just seems like i am mineing for gold here. i cant nid any!!! andthe thing is I cant travell more then 60-70 miles beacause its just not worth it if I end up not buying the car. I might just goo crazy one of these days and go for the 2.5 sport or elegance model and just see how long I can survive withought eating food lol. but if you guys do come accross a galant with those 3 specifications that is about 60-70 miles away from lodon please inform me.. becausde to be honest i cant see my self buying any other car.. I have looked on ebay but cant find any good ones. how much is a full body respray by the way for a galant?, because then I could buy a silver or red one then respary it matt black...

Why waste your money on a car that you don't like the colour of just to spend more to respray it...? Then there's the silver engine bay and the interior door sills and frames you'll be left with buying silver and spraying black - and a car people will walk away from if and when you come to sell...

The best bit of not being able to find these cars easily is that when you do find the one you want, you'll be driving a car that is as rare as a Ferrari on our streets!

The 2.5 consumption isn't THAT bad - I've just got 250 miles out of a full tank just pootling around town to the shops and to see the squeeze, all local roads and short journeys... My old 6G galant 2.0 I got around 260 doing the same journeys...

And if you REALLY want the car - do your research first from the ad, talk to the trader extensively on the phone (have a 'check list' of points you want to ask so you don't forget when you say "bye" and end the call) - if all stacks up, making the journey is just a formality... I flew from London to Glasgow to see mine. When it all stacked up, like the dealer said on the phone and with additional email photos, I did the deal, ordered some extras, and flew home... Then 2 weeks later I drove my old Galant up, (5 hour drive each way) did the deal and came home... Now...? Smiling from ear to ear! I love my motor! :pimp2:

Nick Mann
29-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Honestly, the fuel consumption is not much different between 2.0 and 2.5, maybe around 10%.

Fuel prices have gone up more than 10% in the last couple of years, so running a 2.0 now is more expensive than a 2.5 two years ago!

Kieran
29-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Honestly, the fuel consumption is not much different between 2.0 and 2.5, maybe around 10%.

I would say that's only true if you put an auto 2.0 against a manual V6 - And drive the V6 gently. It's also worth remembering that a 10% cost in MPG (Let's say that works out at 2.8mpg) will have a bigger increase on your fuel bills than you might expect.... I don't know if this is mathmatically true, but it always seems to me that there's a bigger difference between 26 and 28mpg than there is between 28 and 30. But I could be wrong - I never did do a copy of the "Sibson super-galant MPG fuel cost comparrison spreadsheet"/pan

ritch_w
29-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I would say that's only true if you put an auto 2.0 against a manual V6 - And drive the V6 gently. It's also worth remembering that a 10% cost in MPG (Let's say that works out at 2.8mpg) will have a bigger increase on your fuel bills than you might expect.... I don't know if this is mathmatically true, but it always seems to me that there's a bigger difference between 26 and 28mpg than there is between 28 and 30. But I could be wrong - I never did do a copy of the "Sibson super-galant MPG fuel cost comparrison spreadsheet"/pan

check out this site for working out running costs;
http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

siklid
30-01-2008, 04:08 PM
thanks ritch that website is realy usefull i alculated that i currently get 27mpg on my 1.6 petrol mazda manual. and that lasts me about a week.. so i think the 2.5 one should be ok.. now i have got a little more chance of finding a good black one.

ritch_w
30-01-2008, 06:37 PM
thanks ritch that website is realy usefull i alculated that i currently get 27mpg on my 1.6 petrol mazda manual. and that lasts me about a week.. so i think the 2.5 one should be ok.. now i have got a little more chance of finding a good black one.

you should be fine in a V6 then, i averaged 28 - 30mpg in the V6Auto and the 33 - 35mpg in the V6 manual I owned.

siklid
03-02-2008, 02:35 AM
great news you guys I fanally bought a galant 2.5 v6 24valv elegence!! 47000miles on excelent condition. for £4000!!! i am the happiest person in the world right now. its sitting outside my house right now!! :D mi soo happy.. have a look you guys and tell me what you think..

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/iad/motors/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi/galant/object/?emcode=8725592&sid=xz3ch0bGmF3248334

Nick Mann
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
A black leather interior, eh? There will be a few jealous bods on here....

So, when are you going to bring it to a meet?

Johnny_Cashed
03-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Mmm, another all black elegance, I think that makes four in total now?

HMG1K
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Lovely motor! Congratulations!

Did it have all the paper work..? Another member on here was looking at that before christmas but it was missing at the time...

Glad all the hard work paid off...

We'll have to get a collective name for our group all driving black Elegances!

elnevio
03-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, collective noun.

Elegi?

No wait, Eleguys!

... I'll get me coat

siklid
03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
ye fanx u guys.. where do guys meet up? id be more then happy 2 come for a meet. yer all the paperwork was there all checked out fine.

HMG1K
03-02-2008, 11:22 PM
ye fanx u guys.. where do guys meet up? id be more then happy 2 come for a meet. yer all the paperwork was there all checked out fine.

:scholar: Nice one!!! :pimp2:

The four of us haven't met - though not a bad idea!

I'm in west London...

How do I go about getting my car picture to come up on my email signature..?! :evilgrin:

elnevio
04-02-2008, 07:28 AM
How do I go about getting my car picture to come up on my email signature..?! :evilgrin:
Click on your user name at the top, click on Edit Signature, and go for it!

( Unless you were being daft, and I completely missed the point! /pan )

HMG1K
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Click on your user name at the top, click on Edit Signature, and go for it!

( Unless you were being daft, and I completely missed the point! /pan )

Wonderful! Nah, i missed the obvious !!! Thanks elnevio! :pimp2:

siklid
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
hey you guys know where i can get cheep good tints for my galant in london? iv asked one company they said £200!

AncientOfMu
08-02-2008, 12:58 PM
:scholar: Nice one!!! :pimp2:

The four of us haven't met - though not a bad idea!

I'm in west London...

If you have a meet id come down in my black V6 estate :afro:

Would be cool for photos....

HMG1K
09-02-2008, 12:39 AM
If you have a meet id come down in my black V6 estate :afro:

Would be cool for photos....

Great idea! Although folks, this thread has gone quiet - just me and Ancient here... :thinking:

Hello...?! :happy: :inquisiti :happy:

siklid
09-02-2008, 04:03 AM
yea lets organise a meet.. just name the time and place and we will c what we can do. I say tesco carpark in earls court west london. its open 24 hours so we can gt food as well lol. lets say.... next saterday 16th at 6pm? how does that sound to everyone?

HMG1K
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
yea lets organise a meet.. just name the time and place and we will c what we can do. I say tesco carpark in earls court west london. its open 24 hours so we can gt food as well lol. lets say.... next saterday 16th at 6pm? how does that sound to everyone?

Location etc sounds great! Though I'm on overnights the next three Fridays and Saturdays for work - so anytime in March is fab, or during the week in the evenings...

Has that car park at Tesco got flood lights - as it'd be great to see out cars too!

HMG1K
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
hey you guys know where i can get cheep good tints for my galant in london? iv asked one company they said £200!

Give Pentagon Autoglass a call in Acton...

It should be able to do it for that price, if it's straight tints you are after...

Pentagon do SupaGlass which I highly recommend... You can have SupaGlass in virtually any shade of tint from clear up to the darkest that is road legal with the added security that it is toughened. So, chuck a brick at it and it will bounce off.. It shatters the window - but the glass stays in place and would take about 5 minutes of repeated and forced smashing before it gives in completely... If you are in an accident and need to smash out of the car, then it gives instantly from the inside out...

You may even be able to get a discount on your insurance.

The SupaGlass tints may set you back around £250... they are always doing deals, especially the end of the month - and they have a huge, neigh, MASSIVE workshop here you can drool at the £100k cars they regularly work on with tints!

It's also avaialble nationwide, SupaGalss, through franchise installers.

Look at http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/supaglass.php

siklid
09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
cant do weekdays mate. im working all week. looks like its gona have to be in march. how about march the 1st? the tesco car park is an indoor one so it does have lights. thanks for that link. im just realy broke right now and i dont have any money to get tints :( is anyone elese coming to this meet?

HMG1K
09-02-2008, 04:00 PM
cant do weekdays mate. im working all week. looks like its gona have to be in march. how about march the 1st? the tesco car park is an indoor one so it does have lights. thanks for that link. im just realy broke right now and i dont have any money to get tints :( is anyone elese coming to this meet?

If you do call them - batter them down on price... I got a full raft of stuff off them for a quoted price of £834 including VAT and managed to batter them down to £524 including VAT... There's a very high mark up on these products, but they still made a handsome profit!

I can't do the 1st - any other Saturday is fine with me... Anyone else..?

siklid
09-02-2008, 06:51 PM
ok thanks for the advise. what did u buy from them that cam up to £524?how about the 8th then? and does anyone know how much it would be for a turbo (fitted) for the galant elegance 2.5?

Nick Mann
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
More expensive than selling your V6 and buying a VR4?

HMG1K
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
ok thanks for the advise. what did u buy from them that cam up to £524?how about the 8th then? and does anyone know how much it would be for a turbo (fitted) for the galant elegance 2.5?

8th March is perfect with me!

I bought clear-tint SupaGlass... GuardX paintwork protector and gloss finish, Guardx leather interior cleaner and protector, and GuardX cleaner and carpet protector... The tints take about 48 hours as it has to be 'baked' onto the glass - they also did the rest to the bodywork and interior.

pitslayer
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
first you wanted a 2litre for fuel efficeiny, and did not want a V6, and now you want to turbo it? why not just buy a VR4 in the first place?
i looked into the turbo/supercharger route on a V6, and for little gain it was about 1100 quid. not worth it :)

siklid
10-02-2008, 04:39 AM
loll yer but insurance on a vr6 is 6grand!! so ibuy a v6 and mod it :D lol. but i feel like **** now coz my freinds got a honda civic r type and its 200bhp and i have only got 151bhp according to www.parkers.com so i want more. but if its too expensive then ill go for minor mods to gt the bhp up a bit.

by the way i went to kwik fit today to allign my steering because it was going to the left and the guy did it for me but its still leaning to the left. he said it could be becuase of my tyers and there tred or somthing. iv got perreli tyers on it. can you guys shed some light on this please..

ps: Nick and pitslayer are you guys interested in this meet were trying to set up? i dont think pitslayer would be though knowing that he lives in wales lol but u could have a little adventure driving to london lol

Nick Mann
10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Date and other plans dependant, I am always up for a CVR4 meet.

Not being so local, I can't guarantee anything, but I'll watch the thread! When you have a certain date and place, it would be worth starting a thread in the UK Events forum, as other people might notice it too.

Uneven wear can cause the issues that the tyre place has told you about. Make doesn't affect this. Try swapping your front tyres to the rear (and rear to front!) and see if this makes any difference. If the tyres are non-directional, try swapping left/right and see if it pulls the other way. If none of that changes anything, then I would say that the garage has done a poor job of aligning.

Johnny_Cashed
10-02-2008, 01:59 PM
loll yer but insurance on a vr6 is 6grand!! so ibuy a v6 and mod it :D lol. but i feel like **** now coz my freinds got a honda civic r type and its 200bhp and i have only got 151bhp according to www.parkers.com so i want more. but if its too expensive then ill go for minor mods to gt the bhp up a bit.

by the way i went to kwik fit today to allign my steering because it was going to the left and the guy did it for me but its still leaning to the left. he said it could be becuase of my tyers and there tred or somthing. iv got perreli tyers on it. can you guys shed some light on this please..

ps: Nick and pitslayer are you guys interested in this meet were trying to set up? i dont think pitslayer would be though knowing that he lives in wales lol but u could have a little adventure driving to london lol

But you drive a galant and it doesn't make you look a chav unlike a civic. You start messing with turbos on a galant and it will make the insurance higher than a standard VR4.

HMG1K
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM
But you drive a galant and it doesn't make you look a chav unlike a civic. You start messing with turbos on a galant and it will make the insurance higher than a standard VR4.

Good point - under the "have you altered or modified the car away from the manufacturer's standard specification" question you'll be asked or will have to alert your insurance company to, even mid-policy...

A lie on this question automatically rules your insurance invalid - and in the event of an accident, regardless of you being the innocent party or not.

The way round it, as others have said, is to have bought a VR4 in the first place and then aggressively shopped around for the cheapest quote.

When I almost got a VR4 I had quotes of £1,600 until I eventally found one for £500 fully comp. I know the price is dependent on how much of a risk the underwriter see you as, but it's far far cheaper than doing it the 'around the houses way', get your mods, and then find the insurance is back to where you started on a genuine VR4.

pitslayer
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
modding the standard V6 is pointless.
induction kit-useless
decat-good, also saves you from like an 800 odd quid bill for a new cat /lol
ecu remap-wont work, will forget it after you turn it off.
doesnt really leave you with alot afterwards does it. if you really want to mod it, it will cost you big bucks on insurance bills, and seriously not worth it. as for a trip to london, i currently have one galant with no gearbox in it, and my VR4 isnt mine yet

siklid
11-02-2008, 10:45 PM
you guys all have good points. but I dont fink id tell my insurance anyway because i would never claim on it because i dont want to mess up my no clames. but i will take all your sugestions in to considaration. I got insured on this 2.5 for 1,900 fully comp! so i dont fink im gona get a VR4 insured for less then 3,000!! ok i will make a post on the meets section and see if anyone else is up for it.

HMG1K
11-02-2008, 10:52 PM
you guys all have good points. but I dont fink id tell my insurance anyway because i would never claim on it because i dont want to mess up my no clames.

In which case don't bother insuring your car and be one of the growing number of people who have flash cars, like Astons and top of the range Mercs, but can't afford to insure them! :happy:

Seriously though - you say you don't think you'd ever have to claim, that's exactly what the drivers in my last paragraph think, but in their case "I will never be caught"...

In the event of an accident - your fault or not - your insurance will be invalid.

It's not a case of YOU not claiming. If someone claims on YOUR insurance and your insurance is invalid, which it will be if you mod and not reveal this, then that person can sue you for personally for their loss, and loss of earnings, hospital bills (etc, depending how bad / big the claim is) by bringing a civil lawsuit against you... What if you're in a collision with a pedestrian...?

It's not worth it.

Johnny_Cashed
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
My insurance on a 2.5 was killer for the first year, being 21 at the time, first car I'd ever owned, no years no claims etc. The second year it dropped £500! Not saying what from or to, but it's fully comp and I can drive it for work related bits and bobs.

But I'd crap myself if I didn't insure it, it's just not worth the risk. A bit like going bankrupt, if you get caught with no insurance/invalid insurance it'll screw you over for a while to come. Not to mention losing your licence. You might have mates who get away with it, but is it worth it? If you want a cheap fast car with reasonable mpg, you shouldn't have bought a big, heavy (relatively) large engined car, that cost over £25k new.

pitslayer
12-02-2008, 02:09 AM
like said its seriously not worth it, insurance companys will **** you at any chance they can if they can find a way out of paying they will. and that means that you will have to foot the bill, which if they are doing that, then you are loosing your liscence as it will be down to undeclared modifications. your insurance will be voided, you will go to court, you will loose your liscence. the V6 is a powerfull car, dont underestimate it, ok its only 160bhp, but it will still do 140mph, it will still do 0-60 in 7.9 seconds, it will still upset a lot of other cars out there. seriously do not under estimate these cars, they can take your liscence of you.
driving without valid insurance makes you the lowest of the low, its not worth trying to get away, saying to yourself "they will never check"....they will.
and remember a fully paid up club member gets 20% discount with sky insurance ;)

siklid
13-02-2008, 12:53 PM
yer you guys have ll got good point. never thought of it like that before.

pitslayer
13-02-2008, 08:33 PM
a wise choice to take out proper insurance ;)