PDA

View Full Version : In need of help!

patrickstarfish
17-01-2008, 06:25 PM
:inquisiti Hi! Five months ago I purchased a Legnum VR4 from a company called Ebony and Ivory. In the time that I have owned the car I have had to take it back to be repaired at least six times. Now i've taken it to Mitsubishi for a full service and have been informed that the AYC pump and Rear Diff are on the way out. I have had no response from Ebony and Ivory after numerous amounts of calls and letters. I paid them previously over £600 to put the problems right. Could anyone tell me if they have had any dealings with Ebony and Ivory in the past and if so if they have had the same problems with them as i am having? I'd appreciate any feedback with regards to this company as i know they deal with a large amount of Legnums. I'm not trying to slate Ebony and Ivory, all I want is my car put right and in full woring order. I just want to know if anyone has dealt with them in the past. Any information would be hepful to me. Thanks a lot.

Lillywotsername
17-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I know a few people have been to have a look at some of there cars, I believe Derek ( SGHOM) has been up to them a couple of times....

However I can't comment on their cars or their business practices as we have had no dealings with them personally.

dogwagon
17-01-2008, 08:11 PM
:inquisiti Hi! Five months ago I purchased a Legnum VR4 from a company called Ebony and Ivory. In the time that I have owned the car I have had to take it back to be repaired at least six times. Now i've taken it to Mitsubishi for a full service and have been informed that the AYC pump and Rear Diff are on the way out. I have had no response from Ebony and Ivory after numerous amounts of calls and letters. I paid them previously over £600 to put the problems right. Could anyone tell me if they have had any dealings with Ebony and Ivory in the past and if so if they have had the same problems with them as i am having? I'd appreciate any feedback with regards to this company as i know they deal with a large amount of Legnums. I'm not trying to slate Ebony and Ivory, all I want is my car put right and in full woring order. I just want to know if anyone has dealt with them in the past. Any information would be hepful to me. Thanks a lot.

Hi
Sorry 2 hear of your problems ... can i ask why you had to pay for problems to be sorted??
if they are in business selling cars, they are under a legal obligation to put stuff right FOC for a Reasonable Period of Time.
& i am not talking about Warranties!
oh, and the words Sold As Seen do not count for alot either!
Speak to the trading Standards dept which is local to the business, and if you have evidence of the problems & solutions & receipts, i would say that they would be happy to put some pressure on them!
Good Luck!

MPBVr4
17-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Don't fret . Whats the problem?. Is the red AYC light showing? If so the cure is very cheap regardless of what Mitsi say (do a search on here). Diff grumbles can often be cured changing the oils preferrably Amsoil.

Kieran
17-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Don't know that much about E&I, all I do know is that up untill now there's been no complaints about E&I and I've seen one of their cars close (I met said car and owner by chance in a Halford's car park!). The car did seem very clean and tidy.

Hope you get it sorted.... And yes, if it had issues on purchase, I don't get why they wanted cash to solve them?:inquisiti And what were the issues?

Ryan
17-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Hope you get it sorted out as well. I must say that Ebony & Ivory is an exceedingly odd name for a car dealership...

bradc
18-01-2008, 06:01 AM
maybe the owner is South African?

Nutter_John
18-01-2008, 10:12 AM
or liked Paul Mcartney songs

patrickstarfish
18-01-2008, 01:11 PM
thank u all for ur reply's much appreciated,
first problem was when i bought the car i had a service carried out by mitsi and was told that the torque converter and 1 of the turbo's was on there way out so E&I repaired this then one window wouldnt work and the mirrors wouldnt fold out so again i drove 236 miles to return it and when i picked the car up i only got half a mile away from the garage and the mirrors broke again. after finally getting it done i had another service done to be sertain that there was going to be no more major problems and then they told me that the rear dif and ayc pump was failing. when i go about 30 all the time theres 3 ayc lights start coming on and theres a slight noise, i paid money because i got 3 months warranty with the car and it was out by 2 days the question i put to them was when the car was in for repaire the first time they had it for almost 4weeks doesnt that count for anything on the warranty as it was almost a month it sat in there garage. once again thank u all for ur reply theres some verry knowledged people on here

Turbo_Steve
18-01-2008, 09:16 PM
In fairness to E&I, folding mirrors on Japanese import cars seem somewhat unreliable anyway...especially if it's damp out...super especially the mistubishis. It usually the drivers side, and I suspect it's because they get knocked whilst in Japan.

bradc
18-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck, the torque converter and the ayc systems can cause problems, but the turbo's are normally very very good unless you've done a lot of miles.

pitslayer
19-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi
Sorry 2 hear of your problems ... can i ask why you had to pay for problems to be sorted??
if they are in business selling cars, they are under a legal obligation to put stuff right FOC for a Reasonable Period of Time.
& i am not talking about Warranties!
oh, and the words Sold As Seen do not count for alot either!
Speak to the trading Standards dept which is local to the business, and if you have evidence of the problems & solutions & receipts, i would say that they would be happy to put some pressure on them!
Good Luck!
had similiar, if a trader sells the car sold as seen completly illegal, what one company did, put trading standards onto them, they soon paid up. tried to say he sold the car to me privately, and give me a receipt from his motor trading company. i got all my money back, i was happy trading standards were happy, and then i believe he broke the law by selling the car straight on before the trading standards had finished.

if i was buying an import, i would want everything done that im paying the money for. warrantys these days arent worth the paper there written on sorry, we got hit with like a 2k quid bill for my dads jeep, had a warranty on it, and they found a way out of paying, we found a clause that showed them they had to pay it, in the end all settled, still ended up out of pocket though

patrickstarfish
19-01-2008, 01:05 PM
ive got trading standards involved just waiting for a reply they seem really helpful. What would u class as high mileage on these cars? mine had done 59k when i bought it. I part chopped my BMW 640se and some cash in for the legnum because i needed a bigger car (boot space) it had a full BMW service history i even had it serviced by bmw just before i changed it to make sure everything was ok with it, i suppose its just one of those things that happens and it was my turn for it to happen to just hope i can get it done because i do like the car.

Nutter_John
19-01-2008, 01:09 PM
59k is not high milage for a 10 year old car , thats only 6k per year .

Mine is running with 177k and everything seems ok with it

good luck with the TS

bradc
19-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Considering most of them have spent their life in Japan where they don't get driven very much, I would say high mileage is from 15k a year

patrickstarfish
19-01-2008, 07:25 PM
ill get some pictures taken and posted see what u think of it ill c if i can get them sorted out over the next week