PDA

View Full Version : Trackday Tips Please

Spirit
04-02-2004, 03:36 PM
First trackday this Saturday and I am making a list of what to do - this is what I have so far, can anyone add anything:

1: AYC fluid change - DONE
2: Brake Fluid change - DONE
3: Brake Inspection - DONE
4: Oil change - DONE 1.5k miles ago - will check level
5: ATF - level check to be done
6: Coolant - level check to be done
7: Wheels/Tyre swap - going to put my old 17's back on, tyres only done 3k miles on them so no point wearing out my F1's
8: Tyre Pressures - 34PSI usually - should I increase/decrease this ?

Any thing I have missed ?

Thanks

Pete

enigma
04-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Make sure you launch forwards!!!! :$

Also if you can be arsed check your transfer box oil levels, and deflate the tyres a bit.....maybe down to 20-25 psi BUT make sure they are all the same or your AYC will get proper confused!

Spirit
04-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dave, so it's better to deflate the tyres a little is it ? What's the reasoning behind that then?

enigma
04-02-2004, 04:19 PM
If you deflate the tyres a bit you get a bigger foot print and therefore more traction.

However I have just read an article that says to inflate them which will give an effective harder stiffer suspension set up.

I guess it is a tradeoff between grip and handling. Take a pump and experiment!

Certainly in a straight line acceleration race, lower is good.

zedy1
04-02-2004, 05:05 PM
good luck pete let us knw how you get on m8

Roadrunner
04-02-2004, 05:31 PM
deflate the tyres a bit
NO!!!! :wow: If you deflate the tyres, they'll come off the rim at the first corner! :eek:

Pump 'em up to at least 40psi all round (cold) and start from there - you may still find that too soft. IIRC, the tyres are not supposed to be taken beyond 46psi (but that's also when the tyres are cold). I have run tyres at 44psi on track and they were fine - the higher pressure also protects the outer edges of the tyre so you get less heat build-up, so keeping better grip. Road tyres aren't designed to run hot (like slicks) so the hotter they get, the worse your grip.

Use lower pressures (therefore bigger footprint) if you're climbing grassy slopes slowly ;)

Other than that, just get out and have fun - watch your mirrors, watch EVERYONE near you on track, and err on the side of caution. Better to back off and let someone through than risk them having their crash in your space :rolleyes:

Brian

Spirit
04-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Brian

Thanks for the info mate. This trackday is just a small get together for 10 local Jap club members - mainly MR2's and a couple Skyline's as competitors. The course is short and tight so only 1 car allowed at a time so my only concern is my own over enthusiasm.

Of course many pics will be taken and I will be videoing in car with my new camcorder bracket so I will post a link to the action next week some time.

Nick VR4
04-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Most people increase there tyre pressure by approx 10% as Brian has said
As this stops the walls from breaking off the rims

Also after driving let the turbo's spin down before turning engine off :)

Have fun :-D :cool1:

Spirit
04-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Also after driving let the turbo's spin down before turning engine off :)

I am already a freak for that, even on a 1 mile trip to the shop and back :-D

Roadrunner
04-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Also, once you've had your stint on track, do one or two "slow down" laps to let everything (turbos, engine, brakes) cool down. Better to do this than just to let the engine tick over for a few minutes (but, if you don't get the opportunity to do the slow down laps, certainly let the engine tick over for a few minutes to let the oil get round the turbos to cool them). Also, don't sit with your foot on the brake after a run or you'll imprint the discs with the pads which results in brake judder. Have fun :D

Spirit
05-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks mate ;)

pjjohnson
05-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I second everything everyone else has said, by tips are

Take it slowly to start with
Don't be tempted to rev the nuts off it.
Keep an eye on your temp gauge.
Test your brakes, if you can get them to fade at a point to suit you on the track, then you'll know their limits before you need to do it for real.
If you feel you're going to loose it, keep your toe in and let the AYC sort it out for you.

and lastly what worked for me was letting a really good driver who knows the circuit have a go with me as a passenger. I was amazed at how much faster and smoother he was and I learnt a lot. Mostly that the VR4 was a better car than I am a driver.

Have fun.