PDA

View Full Version : Pulstar Spark plugs

miller
20-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Anyone used these or heard good of them? Just picked up a link from another site.

Certainly sells themselves on new technology, doesnt list the VR4 but am sure there are some crossovers of spark plug design? Now before i change my plugs i may consider these?

http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

Now it does say this at the bottom!!!

Pulstarâ„¢ model recommendations are for stock, unmodified engines. If you have added an aftermarket turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous or any other product that increases displacement or compression to your engine you will require a colder heat range pulse plug in order to avoid possible damage to your engine.

Nick Mann
20-01-2008, 08:42 PM
The disclaimer is true enough. You will need a colder plug than the manufacturers list if running more power.

I can't comment on the rest, though. It's good sales pitch, with some interesting comparisons, but how much truth there is in it, I can't say!

Kieran
20-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm..........

Looking at the website those plugs claim to increase the speed of the flamefront and cause a sharper increase in cylinder pressure. Two things I would have thought you DON'T want on a turbocharged engine?

MarkSanne
19-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Bought a set of 4 of these pulstar plugs. Just out of curiosity. Used them on my black 6G Galant GTI, which is both much easier with swapping sparkplugs and the economical fact that it only needs 4 instead of 6.

Before swapping them over, we took a couple of test-runs with 'dutch driver' his g-tech with the old (4000km) plugs. Then swapped these over for the Pulstars and did the same test runs with the g-tech. No difference what so ever, although... 1-2 bhp less with the pulstars but that could be anything, so my conclusion: 4x25 dollars of b*ll****.

Only thing that would make them winners after all would be that they indeed would miraculously start saving fuel, but I have zero hopes on that too.

Nick Mann
19-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I was speaking to a guy who tunes cars last week. He reckons that there is no such thing as a miracle spark plug. It is almost impossible to get a better plug than the OE part. They have tried allsorts of tests, for manufacturers and magazines and have never found any significant improvement.

It is, however, worth making sure that the plugs in the car are in good condition and changed regularly.

Eurospec
20-02-2008, 03:35 AM
I was speaking to a guy who tunes cars last week. He reckons that there is no such thing as a miracle spark plug. It is almost impossible to get a better plug than the OE part. They have tried allsorts of tests, for manufacturers and magazines and have never found any significant improvement.

It is, however, worth making sure that the plugs in the car are in good condition and changed regularly.

True as far as i'm concerned. We get all kinds of wierdy strange plugs brought in. But on the big power ouput cars we do, i almost always use NGK Coppers, appropriate heat range (so normally 2 or 3 ranges colder) with as big a gap as i can get away with without spark blow out, and if the application can run it, no resistors.

EG dont try and run a non resistor plug is a pre 99 scooby, it wont work, has to have the kick back to charge the coil effectively!

Cheers,

Ben.

psbarham
20-02-2008, 09:37 AM
the only plug that i have tried that made a definite improvement was the surface discharge ones, they gave a definite increase in power and torque, but, there's always a but ain't there with performance mods, they would soot up on start up if the excess fuel map was used i:e it was cold outside