PDA

View Full Version : tyre pressures

steve the pirate
21-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I have just got a set of aei rss 18" on yoko parada tyres 225/40/18 I am getting seems like speed wobble at over 60mph but I think it is the road surface?I have checked my tryes and there does not seem to be anything to say what pressure I should be running front and back.I am currently at 35psi all round.
Can anyone help as to what pressures they should be please

Davezj
21-01-2008, 06:34 PM
yes i have used 36PSI for my 18" rims for a long time now and that seems fine for me. it makes the ride harder but gives a but more protection to the rims.

i would say get them rebalanced as i had a set of standard rims and tires that were fine up to 70mph but above that they would wobble like anything. quick rebalance and it been great ever since, they are my spare set.

check you rims to see if there is any indication of a weight comming off, like a sticky pad mark or a sticky pad itself.

bradc
21-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd say it sounds like a balance or alignment problem. 35psi is fine

Nick Mann
21-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Also, if you can, stand by the wheel whilst it is being balanced - you can see if there is a buckle in it. A buckle will often balance out, but it can still give vibration at certain speeds.

steve the pirate
21-01-2008, 08:39 PM
thanks guys.I will get them all rebalanced.just bought them as a set too.have weights on them cos I saw them being balanced from a distance.they have stainless lips and are undamaged so far.
will let you know what happens

Davezj
21-01-2008, 08:49 PM
talk them back to where you bought them from and tell them to do it, for free as your not happy with the work carried out. They may be nice people and do it for free or just give you a discount.

steve the pirate
22-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I went to a small mechanics in braintree and they rebalanced all 4 wheels.the guy said that all 4 wheels were out by 25-30g. no wonder I was getting speed wobble.much much better bnow.I will be phoning r-tec tom where I got my wheels and tyres from.

Davezj
23-01-2008, 12:37 AM
how long have you had the new wheels?

if it was under a month then i would have taken them straight back to the original supplier first. to get them to check them out, and pay for the rework.