PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please on this brake setup

miller
22-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I have got a price back now on these at £290 front and rears and red stuff pads with an extra £20 for zinc plating.

Whats everyones general opinion? I would do the odd track day but nothing excessive. maybe once a year.

See below for product details etc.

Also will the standard wheels still fit, i presume they will as its still contains the original calipers.

The guy who offers this has a garage in Mansfield. (not far from Keiran)

I now have a supplier for this brake set up. It is an ideal alternative to spending stupid money on bigger brakes/calipers if you dont tend to use your car for the track much but want better braking and performance for on the road. Many car applications are available pm/phone me for details/prices.

Each disk has 40 grooves and can come with either green stuff, red stuff or yellow stuff EBC pads or Mintex XTREME/1144/1155/1166/ pads. For an additional £5 per disk you can have them Zinc plated in either gold, black or silver to help prevent that horrid surface rust! Also Goodridge brake hoses can be supplied with the kits.

Here is a pic of the brakes for a Nissan Skyline front and rear that have been Zinc plated in gold and supplied with red stuff pads front and back - £399/£419 (with Zinc plating)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/binnsey24/DSC00007.jpg

ANTHONY
22-01-2008, 10:51 PM
sounds good to me, i paid £85.00 just for red stuff pads. is that price the whole set up inc disc's?

miller
22-01-2008, 10:54 PM
sounds good to me, i paid £85.00 just for red stuff pads. is that price the whole set up inc disc's?

Yes!

Mike

Nick Mann
22-01-2008, 11:00 PM
I have used either this guy or someone very similar for front brakes for Vickys 206 GTi. We only went for green stuff, but the results are very good. The zinc plating has certainly stopped the rust - they have been on there for a good year now, and there are no signs of rust yet. The grooves are straight and have a good whirr when stopping hard, but they certainly do the job. It would be interesting to see how they cope on a heavier car with twice the power!

Ryan
22-01-2008, 11:24 PM
I've heard that Red Stuff pads aren't very friendly to the discs, anyone else shed any light on this?

unclepete
28-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I'd be interested in these, so if anyone can shed any light, it would be useful. Keep me informed Miller!!!

Nice But
28-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Mike

Ditto what the others have said. If my vibration problem is disks then these could be the puppies parts/notworthy Group Buy?

Otherwise it's EBC's grooved at whatever they cost....... I've ordered some Red stuffs already to try and grind my stock disks into shape:thinking: :thinking:

miller
28-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Im still debating, bit of dough to fork out right now after doing the cambelt. Will keep ye posted.

Mike

Nice But
28-01-2008, 07:04 PM
If I get any feedback from the guy at the godspeed place I'll drop it on the thread......

Always worth having an option. Hopefully the tyres and tracking will solve my problem:inquisiti .

miller
28-01-2008, 07:14 PM
If i go for this it will be self labour fitting and as im not confident in my abilities it may take me a while fitting, like a week or something/pan /pan /pan /pan

Mike

Nice But
28-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Walk in the park Bud........ there's a thread from Keiran i think in the articles area.

If I do have to do the disks as well then I will be painting calipers etc....

I want to do the Amsoil thing in a couple of months...... perhaps we could do a midlands Tech day somewhere.../rally :happy:

miller
28-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Sounds like a plan :pimp2: :pimp2:

amsoil
29-01-2008, 11:22 AM
If you are changing pads or pads and discs seriously think about changing the brake fluid at the same time. Some cars never seem to get this done. You only need a touch of brake fade from the fluid the once to upset the bank balance. Essential if you are going to track the car even if only once a year. Best compromise for longevity road and track performance we can find is ATE super blue, but we are looking very closely at Amsoils brand new offering. ATE will however take a lot of beating in the brake department.

Nice But
29-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Amsoil..... I was going to swap it out as I don't know last time it ws done being a fresh import. Is the super blue 5.1?

Where can we get it from? Sorry for all the questions....... noobies are rubbish/pan

peter thomson
29-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Don (amsoil) has it listed in his website. I couldn't find a better price when I ordered it from him

Nutter_John
29-01-2008, 12:48 PM
try looking at AMSoil's signature bar as it has a link to his webste , i have super blue and it is good stuff , not 5.1 but lasts a lot longer than 5.1 and not as corrosive

Nice But
29-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Oops... thanks Pete. I'll get used to who does/supplies what /pan

Forum names a bit of a givaway....... how much do we need for a Leggy?

miller
29-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Is there anywhere that states the stud sizes and offsets? ie to email to the supplier to DOUBLE DOUBLE check these fit before splashing out.

Ive just done a search but nothing coming up is conclusive.

Mike

Nice But
29-01-2008, 02:29 PM
PCD is 114.3

Stud size... dunno

Nick Mann
29-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Miller - check the catalogue in this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15730) for sizes. Or confirm that the discs/pads are Evo IV fitment. (Or newer Evo fitment as 2 pot/non-brembo calipers.)

Tim - One litre should be plenty. I have just flushed my fluid through using less, and I have Brembos all round, so twice as many bleed nipples!

Nice But
29-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Cheers Nick, just sorted my order from Don........ it will be £240 with the discount.......I love this car already.....Yay.

:happy:

miller
31-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Okay after sending over the specs from Nicks post referral i got this correspondence back

Hi mike

I spoke to my supplier today and all of those sizes you sent me matched up perfectly with what he was measuring on the discs 8)

If you have 3 or more people interested i should be able to knock him down on the machining process as it will only need to be set up once to do the sets so should be a bit cheaper (kind of like a group buy)

Andy

Nice But
31-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Mike

I'm a defo for disks only as I have the pads. I'm having the new tyres fitted tomorrow, see if that reduces the vibes a bit, but I think replacement disks would be a good idea. Start afresh:2thumbsup
I would want them Zinc'd as well.......... so we need 1 more defo.

Any chance you could get a price for disks only offov him? sorry to be a pain Bud.

Tim

unclepete
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
If these are sweet, I could do with a set, with pads.

unclepete
05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Any luck with this? I'm still interested, as the hearse is needing some attention. Discs and pads all round preferably.

miller
05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Ill speak to him tonight and let you know.

Cheers

Mike

Nice But
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mike.

I'm 100% in but without the pads....... I've already got them sitting on my coffee table :thinking: /pan

miller
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Right folks here we go,

Ring Andy on 07976 597 818, quote CVR4 and my name if it makes you feel happier:pimp2:

He is standing by :happy:

I will probably purchase next month once i can squirrel enough away from our wedding fund/pan

Mike

Nice But
07-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks Mike for setting this up.../thankyou :sunny: :thumbsup: I shall be calling him on friiday........ woohoo no more high speed wobblies..... /rally /Steeringw

unclepete
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks Mike, I shall now have to wait another couple of weeks for payday - running a bit low after spending too much money on VR4s (not beer, or women, I'm truly getting old). This works okay actually - we can use Nice But as the tester.

Nice But
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
/haz Ah but I will charge for zee imformation..........

Anything has got to be better than the ones I've got.

Nice But
08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Just waiting for Andy to get back to me with a price for 'Disks only', then I'll order some.

Apparently they are EBC plain disks that are machined and zinc coated by another firm, colours are black, silver or gold....... Mmmmm I shall have gold ones I think.:happy:

Ooh I'm going to have some Goodrich hoses as well......... Next order to Don for my oils and stuff.......

Nice But
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Andy has just called me re disks only

£180 not coated or
£200 coated in silver,gold or black.

All plus delivery...... cost to be confirmed. If more people can get together he can shave a bit off the machining/finishing costs as Mike has said.

I will be the ginuea pig..../rally will be ordering them on monday. I'll fit them when I get back from my week away. I'm having them done gold, going to paint my calipers black with redstuff pads.......Oooooh sexy/pan /pan with my evo 9 wheels.:inquisiti :thinking:

psbarham
08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
the mintex grooved that i'm running were 180 quid delivered. just another option

Nice But
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Is that for all 4 as the price above is for front and rear......

psbarham
09-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Is that for all 4 as the price above is for front and rear......

eer nope, in which case thats a bloody good price

Nice But
09-02-2008, 06:39 PM
My thoughts as well.

The EBC nickel plated disks are drilled and slotted and cost £180 IIRC. This guy buys the unfinished front EBC disks, puts 20 slots in a side then nickel coats them himself...... and uses stock Mitsi's on the rear and does the same.

Keeps the cost down....... I'll report on the quality when I get them, ordering monday then I'm away for a week so won't be fitting until then......

It will be nice to brake at 80 and keep my fillings /pan /rally

Nice But
12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok all, unfortunately the supplier CRN Brakes (http://www.crnproducts.co.uk/catalog/index.php?osCsid=5468fb86f12a68ce7d72473657dba428) has foobard on the price and some of the info.

The disks are not EBC for the front, they are a Nisso, IIRC, disk. They are grooved by CRN and coated by them.

The price now is £380.00 this includes, 2 x front and 2 x rear grooved disks nickel plated in a colour of your choice (Silver/Gold/Black), it also includes EBC red or yellow stuff pads and delivery to your door. This I believe is a fair price as the disks alone should be £340 nickel coated, (check out Evo IV disks as they are the same) so your getting pads and delivery for £40 :thumbsup: .

I voiced my concern about the disk quality and the fact that bendy disks are common, the reply was that they had had problems with the OEM disks they were grooving but since switching to this manufacturer they had had no returns.

The choice is yours....... if you want to take up this offer don't contact CRN call Andy at Body and Tuning on 07976 597818 this offer is available through him only.

Mine will be here at the end of the week........yippee

unclepete
13-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Sounds a bit out of order to me - once you've said a price, you don't go back on it. However, I'm happy for you to be a guinea pig (!) in the meantime. I might just buy the EBC grooved and take my chances with Ferrodo DS2500s if anyone out there actually sells them. It'll work out more expensive but it's all about the principle, unless you can tell me otherwise?

Pint in it for you Nice But, if this all works out okay and you succeed in your guinea pig mission!!

Nice But
13-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Pete...... I'm getting them cheaper than that, but still more expensive than the original quote - I've paid cost......../pan

I was a bit miffed about the price but even if you've offered at a certain price if you are going to make a huge loss I'd pull the plug on the offer..... business sense to me.

Andy has a set of these disks on his Skyline...... he's given them a bit of 'ammer and they are holding up ok. If they turn out to be good then I think all in with pads etc it's still a fair deal.....

EBC grooved fronts, stock rears and red stuff pads all round still runs out at £439 + del.... so a saving of £60.

They should be here friday or monday........ I'll post up piccy's and 1st impressions when I'm back next week.

unclepete
13-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Nice But, fair enough, thanks very much for being the guinea pig in this instance. I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone. She has almost done it on acceleration four times now, and she just comes into the office next day and recounts the tale while my mouth is open like a guppy fish at feeding time. To be fair, a new front end would really set the hearse off.

Nice But
13-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone.

I have heard varying levels of the oh Sh*t factor...... some say that they take a few good hard braking actions to warm up...... mainly on the RX8 forum I think with the weight of the Leggy they should be ok.

psbarham
13-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I've heard these redstuff pads need some serious warming up so I'm a bit worried that my business partner will end up going into the back of someone.

is it worth the risk for the sake of a few quid? the carbotechs may be a few quid more but they still stop quickly when cold, with my kids in the car i trust them completly when cold

Kieran
14-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I've had redstuffs front and rear on Aridane and I would not have another set. I'm commented at length on the forums somewhere if you search; briefly my experience was that when hot they're okay and they never faded, but when cold and when pootling about town they were absolutely hopeless - very 'numb' feeling through the pedal.

I am another Carbotech convert. They've impressed me so much I don't feel the need to look at what else is available next time I need new pads. Beats the socks of the Ferodo DS2500s, Black Diamond Predators and Redstuffs in my experience.

unclepete
14-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Cool, I'm in, best place to get them from?

Nice But
14-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I've got red stuff on my MX5 and off the drive I find they're a bit slow to work but after a few hundred metres they're fine, mind you I do drive it like I stole it....../rally.

I've got them now for the Leggy so we'll see what they're like with grooved disks........ if they feel yuk I'll swap the fronts for Carbotech.

As Pete says, where from if I need them?:inquisiti

psbarham
14-02-2008, 06:19 PM
PM thetyrant on here or the mlr, he'll sort you a set out

Nice But
14-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Cheers thanks for the info, I'll go with the red stuff as I've got them but will change if needed :thumbsup:

unclepete
25-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey Guinea pig, how are these new brakes?!

White Lightning
25-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I am running EBC turbo grooved discs mated with EBC red stuff pads at the front and standard Mitsi discs with Camskill patent pads on the back along with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid that Don recommends. I have used this setup at the Nurburgring, at Spa and at Castle Combe. And let's just say I did not take it easy on most of those occasions. Particularly at Spa where I did about 25 laps and took Eau Rouge harder and harder each time. The brakes were always very, very good. Never a hint of brake fade. You do get this fairly loud whirring noise on track when you reach a certain brake temperature (usually after about quarter of a a lap) but after that no abnormal noises.

The setup at the front cost me £250 and the rear pads were oh about £30. They have been on the car for about 5-6000 miles now inc. the track abuse (sorry use) above and I still have 5mm friction material on the front and 8mm on the back (shows how little the rears do).

I have got no complaints about braking when cold but then I do not tend to drive the car hard until everything has properly warmed up.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some people on here have used EBC pads with non-EBC discs and that may not be the best combination. Wodjno recommended to me using the matched EBC setup on the front and he is probably the hardest driver on the road that I know of :speechles

One last point is that I have had two sets of redstuff pads and the compound did change between them as one generated lots of brake dust and the later hardly produce any. Both stopped the car well enough though ...

Just my 2 pounds worth .... /rally

Nice But
25-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Guinea pig, how are these new brakes?!

At the manufacturers /pan mix up on wednesdays, they are being dispatched tonight so I should have them by this wed. Photo's forthcoming.

I may get time to do the fronts before the weekend so again photo's forthcoming and anyone coming to the midlands meet sunday can have a looksee, and at my new Zorst.....this friday.

WL - Thanks for your thoughts on the red stuffs, I'll be running these on grooved disks so will report my thoughs as we progress through the miles. As I mentioned I've got them on my MX5 and they seem good to me, if you need them in that ...Oops, to quick, moment they're there even after some spirited lane thrashing/pan :thinking: at the legal limit of course /rally

May try them at Japfest if I can get a track slot and have fully Amsoiled the car before then........ I shall be grovelling to Nick for his help.

White Lightning
25-02-2008, 03:10 PM
May try them at Japfest if I can get a track slot and have fully Amsoiled the car before then........ I shall be grovelling to Nick for his help.

There are spaces still available ... get your name down ... you know you want to! :afro: /rally

Nice But
25-02-2008, 08:19 PM
/rally /rally I know I want to and hopefully will have the leggy Amsoiled up by then as well....... It's just.

99% will but just want to run the car without trashing anything atm, when the breaks are done so it will stop I will start progressing at a higher rate - but within the constraints of the law ociffer/pan /pan :scholar:

Then boost controllers etc to be fitted ......... stop it!

Nice But
28-02-2008, 10:05 PM
The disks have arrived....... almost broke my back picking the box up jeez. First impressions are excellent very even nickel coating grooves are even depth and straight...... they are marked on the edge min thickness 30mm fronts and min thickness 18.4mm rears, so thats 4mm of wear each-or to the grooves. Is there any particular way the grooves should face? forwards or backwards...... my pea brain is saying forwards :thinking:

Both
uploaded/51866/1204231724.jpg
Front
uploaded/51866/1204232306.jpg
Rear
uploaded/51866/1204232372.jpg
Grooves
uploaded/51866/1204232446.jpg

No more wobbles, might get the fronts on before the meet sunday, with my new exhaust as well.........oh I'm excited./pan /pan

psbarham
28-02-2008, 10:42 PM
i thought the disc thickness for the fronts is 24. summink mm

Nice But
28-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Your right it is........ arse feck !!!!

Thought these looked a bit thick...... just checked Evo IV diskd are 24mm max 22mm min......... fooked if I know what these are off. Back to the phone tomorrow then..... still be on wobbly brakes for a bit longer then.

Kieran
28-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Doh!! The best laid plans and all that!! /duh /pan

As for the grooves.... Check with the manufacturer. Some recommend to have the grooves 'following' the forward rotation, others (Like my Rossinis) specify that they should be reversed.

Nice But
28-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Cheers K will do, as I have to speak to them tomorrow about getting the right ones....../pan story of my life ATM.

ANTHONY
29-02-2008, 08:59 AM
whats the shelf life of the blue stuff once its been opened, (but obviously has the top back on)

bradc
29-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Stock front VR-4 rotors are:

294mm, 24mm thick, minimum 22.4mm

rear are:

284mm, 20mm thick, minimum 18.4mm

Brembo rotors are:

320mm, 32mm thick, minimum 29.8mm

300mm, 22mm thick, minimum 20mm

Nice But
29-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks Brad...

miller
29-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Tim, sorry to hear of your woes, Andy has had all the info on the Legnum disks so cant understand how it messed up unless it was the manufacturing company?

Will have a chat later on today.

Mike

Nice But
29-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Mike

No worries Bud. Andy text me to say the company admitted they screwed up, so will be resolved hopefully asap. I may get a chance to get the rears on before sunday if not I'll drop one in the boot so you can have a look see.

Andy has been excellent.

amsoil
29-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Once upon a time I got a very cheap deal on brake discs that all had the groves in the ame direction so that they went forward on one side and backwards on the other. Seemed to work fine for a budget club racing car but the pirometer showed that the side that had the groves running back with the driection of rotation ran 20-30 degrees cooler than the side that ran forward. No brake supplier has ever been able to tell me why they specify some cars to have the disc grove running forward and some others running backwards. Net result is that I always run my discs in the coolest possible manner ie backwards; this also ties in with vented discs of the more expensive variety that have curved vents rather than straight; these curve back too to enable the air to be expelled as a function of the rotation, if it was the other way the air flow would be impeeded.
Just my 2p's worth. :scholar:

Doh!! The best laid plans and all that!! /duh /pan

As for the grooves.... Check with the manufacturer. Some recommend to have the grooves 'following' the forward rotation, others (Like my Rossinis) specify that they should be reversed.

Nice But
16-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Finally the correct disks have arrived and the fronts are fitted with painted calipers and redstuff pads........ 1st impressions are difficult to call as I've got my sticky caliper /pan will update after I've got my caliper fixed. They look a 100% better than the horrible rusty hubs I had before.

Took about an hour to do both sides....:happy:

uploaded/51866/1205696742.jpg
uploaded/51866/1205696825.jpg
uploaded/51866/1205696894.jpg

miller
16-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey! They do look smart, no little impressions at all even with sticky calipers?

Mike

Nice But
16-03-2008, 11:50 PM
no little impressions at all even with sticky calipers?

They don't shake the car like the old ones........../pan the redstuff's do seem to need warming up but a bit difficult to tell ATM, by the time I get to the end of the road the sticking caliper has heated the O/S disk to very hot so I'm not using it too much. I don't want to warp these...../pan

Should have the caliper done on wednesday so should be able to get out and get them bedded in properly.

Hey! They do look smart

Thanks Mike, black hammerite, used it on my RX8 and it survived 2 track days before a repaint :happy: Might do them red though......Mmmmm

thetyrant
07-04-2008, 07:35 AM
One thing to note....be wary of discs with slots/grooves that run right to the edges, ive been told by a few people now that any grooves or slots should not go all the way to edge as it can weaken the discs when used very hard. I used to have the EBC turbogroove discs on my Evo2 which have slots going to the edge and they eventually cracked down from the edge where the slot ended!... these were hard abused on track though and would probably be ok for road use.

Cheers
Ian

Nice But
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ian for the info. The grooves finish about 5mm from the edge so should be ok....... I will be doing the odd track day eventually /rally .

Latest impressions........ Excellent.

The redstuff pads are crap on 1st application, don't hammer it when they're cold, but after that are awesome, some spirited driving around the local lanes the brakes were perfect, no fade whatsoever. The car stops perfectly from 70 hands off - straight line - so no caliper/balance problems now. The dust off the Red stuffs is no worse than any other performance pad I have used and better than the stock pads as you don't get chunks of material stuck to your wheel.

Just got to get round to doing the rears now/pan. Oh and changing out the seals was easy so was renewing all the brake fluid.

All in all Impressed - Thanks Mike for the contact, I will be going there when the disks on my MX5 need swapping out.

thetyrant
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Ian for the info. The grooves finish about 5mm from the edge so should be ok....... I will be doing the odd track day eventually /rally .

Latest impressions........ Excellent.

The redstuff pads are crap on 1st application, don't hammer it when they're cold, but after that are awesome, some spirited driving around the local lanes the brakes were perfect, no fade whatsoever. The car stops perfectly from 70 hands off - straight line - so no caliper/balance problems now. The dust off the Red stuffs is no worse than any other performance pad I have used and better than the stock pads as you don't get chunks of material stuck to your wheel.

Just got to get round to doing the rears now/pan. Oh and changing out the seals was easy so was renewing all the brake fluid.

All in all Impressed - Thanks Mike for the contact, I will be going there when the disks on my MX5 need swapping out.

Ahh good stuff they should be fine then :)

If you think Redstuff is good then as they say..."you aint seen nothing yet" :) XP8 works better from cold, better when hot and last a lot longer :D....still if your happy with what you have thats the main thing, but if you ever feel the need for more give us a call :D

Cheers
Ian

psbarham
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Ahh good stuff they should be fine then :)

If you think Redstuff is good then as they say..."you aint seen nothing yet" :) XP8 works better from cold, better when hot and last a lot longer :D....still if your happy with what you have thats the main thing, but if you ever feel the need for more give us a call :D

Cheers
Ian

you can spot carbotech users by the reversed imprint of TRIPLEX on their foreheads /lol trust me tim, the carbotechs when hot acctually hurt when you brake hard, i thought ian was just doing his salesman bollox when i first contacted him, once i bedded them in i knew all the speil was true

Nice But
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Ian

When I've worn the Red stuffs out you will be my 1st point of contact........ Mmmmm Triplex tatoo...... sounds interesting.

Thanks

Guys.