PDA

View Full Version : Ram

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Heeeeeeeeelp ! Heeeeeeeeeelp !

My RAM Usage on my desktop PC is Jammed at over 85% :speechles

It's slowing things up considerably..

I've ran Spybot, AVG, Adaware and CCleaner, but to no avail !

I've looked at all the processes that are running and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward going on with them..

Any of you PC Buffs out there throw any light on it :happy:

Cheers

WODJ

Nutter_John
23-01-2008, 11:36 AM
press control alt and delete together and then select the processes tab , now click on the mem usgae bit

This will tell you how much memory a process is taking , to sort this if you click the header bar you will be able to sort highest first or lowest first

have a look see in there and it should tell you which program / process is eating you memory

Or you could have a failed dimm on your motherboard and only have half you memory available , the way to check is after a reboot look for the memory count and check if it is the size you think it is , or you can check in the perfomance tab under the Physical memory section

foxdie
23-01-2008, 01:57 PM
To expand on what John said, there is a more in-depth method of seeing what is pummeling your computer.

* Open the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del)
* Select the "Processes" tab
* Go to the "View" menu and click "Select Columns"
* Make sure "Virtual Memory Size" is ticked and click okay

This will now add a new column in the processes tab called "VM Size", if you click on it to sort the list it'll give you a more accurate representation of what program is being a greedy little wh*re on your system.

If you let us know what the process is called and how much memory it is using, I'm sure one of us here can try and advise what the best course of action will be ;)

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 01:58 PM
press control alt and delete together and then select the processes tab , now click on the mem usgae bit

This will tell you how much memory a process is taking , to sort this if you click the header bar you will be able to sort highest first or lowest first

have a look see in there and it should tell you which program / process is eating you memory

Or you could have a failed dimm on your motherboard and only have half you memory available , the way to check is after a reboot look for the memory count and check if it is the size you think it is , or you can check in the perfomance tab under the Physical memory section
I had a look as you said John.. Nothing Majorly eating up memory ..

It says Physical Memory = 1014
Cached = 314
Free = 18

Kernal Memory
Total = 126
Paged = 79
Nonpaged = 46

System
Handles = 21542
Threads = 939
Processes = 80
Page File 1232M / 2282M

What ever all that means ??

And approx 820mb of ram being used ..

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 01:59 PM
To expand on what John said, there is a more in-depth method of seeing what is pummeling your computer.

* Open the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del)
* Select the "Processes" tab
* Go to the "View" menu and click "Select Columns"
* Make sure "Virtual Memory Size" is ticked and click okay

This will now add a new column in the processes tab called "VM Size", if you click on it to sort the list it'll give you a more accurate representation of what program is being a greedy little wh*re on your system.

If you let us know what the process is called and how much memory it is using, I'm sure one of us here can try and advise what the best course of action will be ;)

Will give that a try :D

Nutter_John
23-01-2008, 02:06 PM
hmmm deffo something eating the memory , whats the top 5 processes using memory and how much are the using ?

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 02:07 PM
There isn't a tick box for virtual memory..

I'm running on Vista so maybe different ?

These are the tick boxes i have for memory!

Memory - Working Set
Peak Working Set
Working Set Delta
Private Working Set
Commit Size
Paged Pool
Non Paged Pool

Nutter_John
23-01-2008, 02:12 PM
ah your using the virus of an operating system , yep vista just loves memory

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Wassat mean :inquisiti

Nutter_John
23-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Vista seems to just use so much more memory than xp did , close down any of the side bars or pictures on the desktop , have a look at the icons in the bottom right corner and if you not using them close them down

this should give you some memory back

Wodjno
23-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Vista seems to just use so much more memory than xp did , close down any of the side bars or pictures on the desktop , have a look at the icons in the bottom right corner and if you not using them close them down

this should give you some memory back

It used to be ok until yesterday ?

I shut down all not using and it's still using 700mb :(

bernmc
23-01-2008, 03:30 PM
You need at least twice the amount of memory you've got for VISTA to run reasonably.

There's a checkbox in the task manager that you're looking at that says something like 'show processes for all users' - check this (it'll ask you to confirm) and have another look - may bring something else up that's a gobbling.

Do a virus scan (make sure your defs are up to date).

bradc
23-01-2008, 07:03 PM
get 2gb of ram and your pains will go away

HMG1K
23-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Another good cleaner is HDValet - up there with CCleaner and AdAware for me - tiny program but does the job!

By the way - may not help you in this instance though!

Turbo_Steve
23-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Ah, Vista.

Microsoft specify the minimum memory requirement as 512Mb. Remember they specified 256Mb for XP, but you needed a minimum of 512Mb to actually get anything to bloody run?

And then two months down the line you downloaded a couple of patches (automatically, naturally) and updated your antivirus software, and suddenly none of your apps would run and you had to upgrade to 1Gb?

Well, that was XP, this is Vista. Minimum spec for a vista branded PC is 1Gb of RAM and most corporates are specifying them with at least 2Gb.
Sorry, dude, I figure all those little processes have just got updated and finally tipped the balance.

Nevman
23-01-2008, 11:00 PM

Vista is not a virus because viruses are usually supported by their creators, Vista is just a BUG /Devil5

bradc
23-01-2008, 11:00 PM
no, you could run xp on 128mb of ram :)

Wodjno
24-01-2008, 10:40 AM
OK :)

Thanks for all your input /yes

So seems i have a Vista Virus /Grrr

So not it comes to the question of Ram :thinking:

I looked and there are so many types :inquisiti

PC3200/PC5300/PC6400 400mhz, 533/667mhz, dimm, sodimm, ddr, ddr2.

How do i know what my desktop takes ?

I have an ACER Aspire L320. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.acer.com.au/mini/images/aspire/Acer%2520Aspire%2520L320%2520Range2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.acer.com.au/mini/index.html&h=2724&w=1438&sz=1473&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=cQc38OJbgQ4koM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dacer%2Baspire%2Bl320%26ndsp%3D20%26sv num%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Is this any good ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OCZ-2GB-2X1GB-DDR2-PC2-6400-Platinum-RAM-NEW-UK_W0QQitemZ140200283476QQihZ004QQcategoryZ172QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking that the "SO DIMM" Ram would be good. As it matches my Brain computing power when it comes to PC's :D

Wodjno
24-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Right.. I found the Ram that my PC takes..

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=28879&ft=m&st=3

The note on using Ram says they must be installed in pairs ??
Does that mean that my current ram is 2 x 512mb ? And i would need 2 x 1gb to replace them ??

Dan_G
24-01-2008, 11:30 AM
are you using zoenalarm? after my last upgrade vsmon.exe is sapping my performance... something else to check.

Wodjno
24-01-2008, 11:34 AM
are you using zoenalarm? after my last upgrade vsmon.exe is sapping my performance... something else to check.

Yes.. Using ZoneAlarm..

But no VSmon.. Haven't had VSmon attacking my CPU Usage on Vista.. Used to get hammered by it on XP..

Nutter_John
24-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Right.. I found the Ram that my PC takes..

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=28879&ft=m&st=3

The note on using Ram says they must be installed in pairs ??
Does that mean that my current ram is 2 x 512mb ? And i would need 2 x 1gb to replace them ??

I would suggest you open up you computer and count how many slots you have and if any are free , normally most systems have two slots free .

And yes most modern systems require you to upgrade in banks (pairs ) so if you bought 2gb ( 2x1gb ) then you could have 3gb or 2gb depending on if you have free slots

Paul Beazer
24-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Glen,
If you go to crucial.com there is a utility which will tell you what you have and what you need. Its pretty good at advising what will be best for your individual machine.

Wodjno
24-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Glen,
If you go to crucial.com there is a utility which will tell you what you have and what you need. Its pretty good at advising what will be best for your individual machine.

Thanx Paul /yes

Heres my results :D

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%20L320

Just have to find out how to get into it now ??

bernmc
24-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes.. Using ZoneAlarm..

But no VSmon.. Haven't had VSmon attacking my CPU Usage on Vista.. Used to get hammered by it on XP..

vsmon is part of zonealarm.

There are well documented problems with zonealarm running on VISTA. It's bloody slow for a start. Nfortunately, I paid my 3 year subs for the stupid piece of software shortly before 'upgrading' to VISTA...

Wodjno
24-01-2008, 09:04 PM
vsmon is part of zonealarm.

There are well documented problems with zonealarm running on VISTA. It's bloody slow for a start. Nfortunately, I paid my 3 year subs for the stupid piece of software shortly before 'upgrading' to VISTA...

I know it's part of ZA.. But it doesn't always atack the CPU!! And i haven't had any issues with excess CPU usage..

The problem is with the Ram.. Have ordered 2gb for upgrading. I am running a little prog called RamBooster at the moment that helps to keep the usage down to around 450/500mb.. I know it hasn't solved it, but it's helping for now /yes

Thanx all for your input :iloveyou: