PDA

View Full Version : Warm to Cold Mirrors

Roberto
23-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, so from other Threads, its said the wiring is standard accross the markets.
Which makes perfect sence.

The one thing I really miss having a Warm area car is the heated wing mirrors.
So does anyone know or has anyone tried to swap at mirrors to a Cold area car.
And if so is the Rear window heater switch the same on both cars or could it need changing.

The next question then is are all the wing mirrors the same accross the range.
ie. GLS, V6 an VR4 the same both pre and post facelift.

A cunning plan is starting to hatch..........

Beastlee
23-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Great minds.....or fools?

I don't have access to spares but I reckon Mo/Zedy1 could enlighten us as to the differences in mirrors. This could be another fantastic Friday afternoon mod!

Roberto
23-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, but the search could travel to all Scrap dealers if all the mirrors ade the same.

Not just the fantastic Mo....

Nutter_John
23-01-2008, 09:53 PM
at some point over the next month or so I will have a set of heater cold region mirrors for sale , when I get off my arse and get my new mirrors painted

Davezj
23-01-2008, 09:55 PM
no if you look on ebay there is set of galant wing mirrors (black) on there and they don't look the same as the VR4.

EDIT:i was looking at some 94-95 mirrors and they were different. so i think all the models in our G8 style are the same ;ooking and fitting just fature changes.

i have been looking for a set of warm (EDIT: COLD) reagion ones for a while now. i have a spare set of silver cold area one which i bought in error.

i will see if i can find the items i am talking about.

Roberto
23-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Its the Cold region ones we are talking about wanting, with the heater elements.

Why would you want a Warm region set?

The only ones I can see on E-bay are from 7G's.
Can you link the one you found.

Paul Beazer
23-01-2008, 10:02 PM
If as is rumoured to be so, the wiring looms are the same, then couldnt you just get some heated mirror glasses and pop them in there? Or is the wiring for the heating elements not in there?

Beastlee
23-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I was referring to Mo as someone who could point out the differences, sorry.

I hope we can get a definitive answer as I think non-heated mirrors are a nightmare. They should be standard on all cars.

Paul, I can only surmize that the wiring wouldn't be in the mirrors.

Kieran
23-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Check that the plugs have got a full set of wires going to them - I got snagged by this when I retrofitted my MMCS..... The original system had the right plugs but a few wires were missing. Don't know if that will be the case here but it's worth a look.

Nick Mann
23-01-2008, 11:37 PM
ALso remember that whilst all 8g's had electric mirrors, not all of them were electric folding.

Davezj
23-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Its the Cold region ones we are talking about wanting, with the heater elements.

Why would you want a Warm region set?

The only ones I can see on E-bay are from 7G's.
Can you link the one you found.

ok here are some.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Galant-96-2000-Genuine-Passengers-side-Electric-Mirror_W0QQitemZ220194695381QQihZ012QQcategoryZ104 00QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mitsubishi-galant-estate-1998-2-0-o-s-elec-wing-mirror_W0QQitemZ200194334194QQihZ010QQcategoryZ104 00QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-VR4-FOLDING-REAR-VIEW-MIRRORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQca tegoryZ33649QQihZ011QQitemZ320209516635QQrdZ1QQssp agenameZWD2V

HMG1K
23-01-2008, 11:53 PM
ALso remember that whilst all 8g's had electric mirrors, not all of them were electric folding.

The annoying thing on the folding mirrors is switching off the engine, pulling the key out and realising you haven't 'folded'!

I want to see if I can get mine wired to stay 'live' for 30 secs or so after pulling the key out. The squeeze has this feature as standard on her Jag and it's so handy.

Johnny_Cashed
24-01-2008, 12:06 AM
There is a post here somewhere about linking them to the central locking with a relay I think so when you lock the doors the mirrors fold.

HMG1K
24-01-2008, 12:12 AM
There is a post here somewhere about linking them to the central locking with a relay I think so when you lock the doors the mirrors fold.

Oh really !!! (said in "I wasn't aware of that & I want it done!")

I'm off for a search! Thanks Johnny!

bigsed
23-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Old post return alert!

Did anyone find a definitive answer to this? If not I'll get my mirrors opened up and take a look I guess!

Found some more recent info on this thread, but nothing confirmed as yet.

miller
23-02-2009, 03:34 PM

any links to this?

psbarham
23-02-2009, 07:28 PM
you need the door looms and a set of heated electric folding mirrors from a cold area car, and transplant them into your warm area car, the wiring will already be in the main vehicle harness, the nastiest part of the job is persuading the looms to go through the grommet in the A pillar.
i think start to finish it took about an hour to do mine:scholar:

GalantOnly
24-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Check that the plugs have got a full set of wires going to them - I got snagged by this when I retrofitted my MMCS..... The original system had the right plugs but a few wires were missing. Don't know if that will be the case here but it's worth a look.

That's a very good point...
The full set of wires in that white 7-pin connector should look like that:

1. Blue/Orange = 12V for mirror heater element
2. Sky Blue = Folding mirrors
3. Brown/Black = Folding mirrors
4. Black = ground for mirror heater element
5. Red/Yellow = 12V for mirror adjustment
6. Blue/Yellow (Orange/Black)* = Right/Left adjustment
7. Orange/Blue (Light Green/Black) = Up/Down adjustment

*Left mirror (Right mirror)

And... It's not enough just to swap the glass... There will be nothing to connect it to inside the non-heated mirrow.

GalantOnly
24-02-2009, 02:08 AM
The annoying thing on the folding mirrors is switching off the engine, pulling the key out and realising you haven't 'folded'!

I want to see if I can get mine wired to stay 'live' for 30 secs or so after pulling the key out. The squeeze has this feature as standard on her Jag and it's so handy.

Blue wire on the back of the mirror switch is power supplier to mirrors (folding and adjusting, but not heating), which is 0V as soon as you turn off the ignition. If this wire could be somehow connected to ETACS-ECU, which supplys power to electric windows after the key is off, your folding dream will come true.../yes

edit: When you push "Fold In"-button, there goes 12V throught "Brown/Black" wire, and another, "Sky Blue", is grounded. When you unfold, current just change directions... In neutral switch position there will be no connection to those wires at all. So you have to hotwire some timer-thing to those wires to give 12V to one wire and ground another for about 5 sec when you use remote for central locking system...:inquisiti It will be just soooo perfect.../woot

Beastlee
26-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I now have a set of mirrors in my posession and Carl will be sending the door looms on to me too. My only issue is the casing being a different colour but looking at these new ones they are in separate pieces. I just need to check my finesse green ones to see if they too can be separated.
Did anyone else finally make this change? Either way I'll make notes and take pictures so I can have 3 articles that need writing up.

eyeballprawn
26-09-2009, 11:53 AM

I've wired mine in to the power window delay and love it. I don't understand why they didn't come that way from the factory.

Beastlee
27-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I've just posted a new article on how to swap the back (colour coded) caps between mirrors. I now know that as long as I get the loom as well I shoudl be good to go. I also found in CAPS that they unified the wiring on the later cars so if you have a facelift you may not even need to change the looms!
Will be adding some other related articles soon but for now you can take a look at :
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=473145

Roberto
05-12-2009, 12:06 AM
The car is going to come off the road soon, so I'm going to add this to the list of jobs I'm going to try and do.

To that end I've ordered a set of these:
http://www.automirrorsplus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=678
And will see about making a loom myself, or splicing into the existing.

Full list of jobs to be made up and posted.

giblet
06-12-2009, 02:01 AM
any links to this?

Did you ever find the info? Its something that I would like to do [or more likely, get someone to do for me since I got a D in GCSE electronics!

funkstardelux
21-12-2009, 12:44 PM
i got hold of set heated mirrors and looms, went to fit them and the alarm is spliced into the wires.. plus had a mare of day, broke the door cards at the bottom trying to get them off so thought best leave it or i'll do some serious damage.

Beastlee
21-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I had intened on doing mine over this holiday, unfrtunately the car is covered got covered in filth just before the heavy snowfall and now is tucked away in our garage until the weather clears. I'd do it in our garage but there's no heat or light and it's -10 out there!

funkstardelux
21-12-2009, 04:07 PM
i've heard on the news its cold over there, one place recorded -32c...OUCH

Beastlee
21-12-2009, 04:43 PM
We had -13 in the day on Friday but it's improving now, it's only -5 to -10 now LOL

Beastlee
07-01-2010, 08:24 PM
OK, here's the definitive answer......don't bloody bother!

The main loom to the sockets at either side is different on the two specifications so you will need a 10A fuse, fuse holder, suitable wire and a pin or connector to enable it to connect. You will need a new door loom or add two wires to the connector for the mirror as you need earth and power to the heater element. Not to mention fishing around behind the fuse box to find the correct wire to splice into (wrm spec has a single feed to one fuse for hte rear window, cold spec has two wires and fuses which covers the window and mirrors separately).
Finally, yes both the mirrors fitted on my car and the ones I bought from Carl have removeable colour coded caps. Unfortunately I hadn't spent long enough to work out that they are totally different styles /Grrr I will now need to respray the trigger mauve ones finesse green before swapping the mirror complete. I will try to find out if this is an age related difference as my non-heated mirrors still have clips for heating elements.

For now, I quit. I'll move onto changing my indicator stalk and hope I don't trigger the SRS light!