PDA

View Full Version : Figured it out, manual ST-R's and their bodykits

bradc
24-01-2008, 09:20 AM
For some time now I had been wondering why Manual Legnum ST-R's with the V6 engine were so hard to find, and why they all had the boring front bumper on them, rather than the prefacelift style VR-4 bumper.

In case anyone isn't 100% sure on what an ST-R is, it is basically a VR-4 without the turbos and AYC. It has 4wd, dark interior plastics, 5-stud hubs, 16" prefacelift VR-4 style wheels, 2.5l V6 engine and so on.

In August 1996 when the 8G's came out, you could get two models, a 4 speed auto model and a 5 speed manual model. Both of these came standard with the boring bumper.

In September 1997 (13 months) they discontinued the manual model, and upgraded the auto model to have the VR-4 prefacelift bumper as standard. The was continued until August 1998 until the facelift came out and the 2.5 V6 was no longer sold in Jap spec cars, only the 1800 and 2400 GDI's existed (well along with VR-4's of course).

Now considering how few VR-4's are manuals, in a non performance Japanese sedan you'd expect there to be even less manual's. I don't know any numbers, but I can tell you that normally on trademe there are 1-2 25ST's in manual, and sometimes 1 ST-R in manual. At the moment there are none, however there are about 70 ST-R's in auto.

Also only about 20% of those have sunroofs, and while I've seen tiptronic ST-R's with either beige or black leather fairly regularly (say 15% of total numbers) I've never seen a manual with leather at all.

Subaru ETA
29-01-2008, 06:18 AM
hmmm yeah i always wondered why my tip one had the dumb bumper on it, but others had the vr4 one.

i dont know why they got rid of that engine, the str is a bloody brilliant car!

bradc
29-01-2008, 08:16 AM
yeah it is, much better than the i4 2.4 which hates revving and isn't very smooth at all

Subaru ETA
29-01-2008, 08:22 AM
yeah it was the 2.4 that nearly put me off the legnum! i wanted a str but was struggling to find one.

and people here know my story about the car dealer who said "just coz it doesnt have a rear diff it doesnt mean that it is not 4wd"....

bradc
29-01-2008, 08:56 AM
If they had taken the 2.5 and made it DOHC or even Mivec and took the power up to 150-160kw it would have been an outstanding engine and I'm sure if would have been popular in the facelifts.

KHK
29-01-2008, 09:05 AM
as far as i know Japanese don't like sunroof and leather seats in their car
may be over 90% cars running in Japan don' t have sunroof and leather seats
what i notice further most Japanese aren't willing to spend their money on body kits
but almost a very very great majoriy of japanese are willing to invest lot of money for navi TV system ( around 300k yens ) in their car no matter new or old

bradc
29-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Lots of Legnums did have sunroofs though, and there are a reasonable amount out there with Leather too. I think you're right about people in NZ and the UK wanting Leather much more often though.

Robotnik123
31-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Lots of Legnums did have sunroofs though, and there are a reasonable amount out there with Leather too. I think you're right about people in NZ and the UK wanting Leather much more often though.

Have heard many Japanese dislike the smell of leather and also that it makes more of a noise when sat on compared to cloth (and undignified noise).

ANTHONY
31-01-2008, 07:54 PM
very interesting Brad. also do you know what % of manual VR-4 were made

bradc
01-02-2008, 07:42 AM
nope, but going off numbers on trademe, it'd be 10% tops