PDA

View Full Version : Bugger. Failed MOT...

ReggieK
05-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Failed MOT today, emissions too high. Running at about 0.8 as opposed to legal requirement of 0.3!!!!

Oh well, it's going back in tomorrow to have the cat put back on, hope that all goes ok or it could get expensive.

New cat's, dogs, hamsters etc etc = expensive business.

enigma
05-02-2004, 03:15 PM
eeek! Mine passed with no cat :p good luck though, hope you get sorted.

zedy1
05-02-2004, 05:27 PM
mine failed too but i got away

Simon
05-02-2004, 07:29 PM
get the garage to clean the lambda sensor (spelt wrong) Our Ralliart guy did this to get our car through its MOT.

Spirit
05-02-2004, 11:27 PM
If you put the cat back on then make sure its up to full temp when they test it too - at my last MOT they advised me it was good to floor the car a little just before the MOT ;)

ReggieK
06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
If you put the cat back on then make sure its up to full temp when they test it too - at my last MOT they advised me it was good to floor the car a little just before the MOT ;)

When they did the test yesterday they spent quite some time at rev's before inserting the emissions testing device, so assume that they were trying to cover this. After he had run it for quite a while he went under the car looking a little confused. Then I heard him shout to his mate "There's no friggin cat!!!" You just gotta laugh ain't ya :p

Oh yeah, once they put the testing thing in and carried on running it, the heat from the beast melted the handle of the testing equipment :D :-b

Car went back in this morning, must call them, they must have sorted it out by now.

ReggieK
06-02-2004, 02:48 PM
get the garage to clean the lambda sensor (spelt wrong) Our Ralliart guy did this to get our car through its MOT.

Simon - I didn't think Ralliart would pass any car without a cat. I mean they know it's supposed to have one don't they?

I must admit to a little confusion here. I was under the impression that...

** If I take my car to a main dealer and cat has been removed, it's an automatic failure, even if emissions are legal

** If I take my car to another MOT test center and the cat has been removed, but emissions are legal then it will pass.

I thought the difference between the two is that the main dealer knows you are supposed to have a cat and a standard test centre doesn't therefore cannot make a judgement.

Confusion not only rains it pours :headsc:

Simon
06-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I totally agree with your above comments on whether it is a main dealer or not. Our car still has the cat and it failed first time. The sensor was cleaned and then it passed.

KiwiTT
15-02-2004, 10:49 PM
My cat is now removed. Waiting for the new emission laws to take effect. The dealer said it would probably be quite relaxed as there are a lot of older cars, that wouldn't be asked to be retro-fitted.

haydar
15-02-2004, 11:16 PM
My car just flew past it's MOT. The CAT does need to be nice and warm before the car will pass the emissions test though. My MOT centre (not Mitsubishi) tell me that if a car has a CAT then they test it for emissions that a CAT'ed car should give, however if a car doesn't have a CAT then it is checked for emissions a car without a CAT should give. This means emissions that would make a CAT'ed car fail will still be OK for a car without a CAT. For those guys that have removed the CAT, they just need to check that thier cars are not being checked against emissions for a CAT'ed car.

michaeli
17-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Failed MOT today, emissions too high. Running at about 0.8 as opposed to legal requirement of 0.3!!!!

Oh well, it's going back in tomorrow to have the cat put back on, hope that all goes ok or it could get expensive.

New cat's, dogs, hamsters etc etc = expensive business.

There's something called cataclean on the TV, it's meant to bring your emmisions down to less than 0.3 whether you have a cat or not??? Worth a try?? :-D