PDA

View Full Version : my totaled '97 Galant ES

VR-4 Wanna-b
25-01-2008, 03:52 AM
hi all,

i just got a wrecked 1997 Galant ES from my coworker - for free, because he ran a red light at 50 miles an hour and slammed into the back of a turning car.

needless to say, his insurance company declared it totaled, but all the damage seems to be isolated to the bumper mounts, radiator, and gearbox cooler.
2 days after getting this car, i had it running and driving, and even the alignment seems to be straight.

so has anyone besides me ever rebuilt a totaled car?
and any tips would be appreciated :)

Kieran
25-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Welcome!

Never repaired a crash damaged car myself, and I don't know what the vehicle inspection laws are like in the USA, so can't really advise there. These guys might be able to help as they're on the same side of the pond as you - if nothing else they'll know where you can get parts bargains!:afro:

pitslayer
25-01-2008, 09:00 PM
/ttiwwop it might upset kieran aswell...... btw kieran, any idea how to get concrete/latex screed of paint work?

but yeh post some pics up, and your main source of parts, try mo, or zedy1 as he is known on here, he breaks galants

Kieran
26-01-2008, 12:13 AM
and your main source of parts, try mo, or zedy1 as he is known on here, he breaks galants

Not on this one. It's a USA car and they're quite a different beast.

pitslayer
29-01-2008, 11:25 AM
didnt notice he was from us, so yeah mo cant help you with this one...

Eurospec
29-01-2008, 08:22 PM
If it were mine and get it down to a bodyshop, put it on a jig and see if it all lines up.

I bought my scooby with a hard front left corner, i knew it needed to be jigged. When it got on there the front right turret was also out by about 2 inches!

Cheers,

Ben.

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 07:10 AM
yeah ive done a few write offs. doing one at the mo. as ben said, firstly get it onto a measuring system and see if the thing is bent. to the untrained eye you may not beable to see it but on the measuring system you can see exactly where is bent, and start from there