Nick VR4
25-01-2008, 11:29 AM
/HappyBD/HappyBD/HappyBD have a good'en

peter thomson
25-01-2008, 11:33 AM
/HappyBD Happy birthday Don:chugchug:

WildCards
25-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Well blow me, Don's half a century old today. Congrats on reaching the big number and just to make you feel better, my step-dad is 61 today, your not quite as old as him.

Nick Mann
25-01-2008, 11:42 AM
There is a guy who works for me who is 61 today..... Am I your dad's boss, mildboy?

Happy Birthday, Don! Hope you have a good one. :thumbsup:

Nutter_John
25-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Have a real good day , Enjoy a few drinks

Happy Birthday

Kieran
25-01-2008, 11:46 AM
50 today, eh? Happy Birthday Don!! Had any nice pressies?:afro:

ANTHONY
25-01-2008, 12:08 PM
happy birthday Don

The Vee
25-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Happy birthday Don. Sure you'll be getting well lubricated/pan

HJM
25-01-2008, 12:35 PM
/HappyBD /HappyBD /HappyBD /HappyBD

Paul Beazer
25-01-2008, 01:51 PM
"well lubricated"? Oh my aching sides!

Happy birthday Don!

amsoil
25-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Thank you all very much, can't say I feel old just crazily busy!
The real big prezzies came earlier this month; At the Autosport Show at the NEC I was talking to some ECU manufacturers having just given up the battle to get my Le Mans car ECU sorted and having ordered one from the USA. This little voice behind my shoulder chirped up 'I designed that one!' My immediate reaction was yeh right as I have just spent almost 2 painful years trying to reslove the dead engine issue. 'Thats on a Jag' the little voice chirped up again. Now this did cause me to stop and look around seriously; 'I was over in Atlanta with Lanky Fouchee setting it up and testing it with Group 44!!! To cut a long story short .....well shorter it was THE MAN and he built the 1st Lucas Mico system. When he then told me that he still had all the maps the chip readers and most of the parts I became speachless. I agreed to take the (2 in those days) black boxes over to him to what turned out to be just 7 miles away. The Tuesday following the show I went over to see THE MAN and he took his own little trip back in time as he examined it and took it apart. News for me was that not only the front came off but also did the back; The removal of the back revealed lables last fitted in 1987 with the setup data file numbers. It took THE MAN about 30 seconds to fix the ECU ! The chip had been dislodged from the force of the impact (how many G,s did that take then) He also removed the chip and read it on his machine; it would appear to have all the maps for the larger engines too but was reading the 6 litre late map , the correct one for the engine.
That evening the silence in Hounslow was shattered as life returned to 006. I must admit that a tear ran down my cheak.
Things have moved on quickly I am just off to reclaim my International Race Licence and get new Willans straps. The good lady has agreed that as its my 50th bithday she will allow me to enter the Group C race at the Le Mans 24 hours in the summer and do the whole expencive season. I thank you all and can assure you I am having a very happy birthday.

Paul Beazer
25-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Wow! Put up some pics then! Sounds like a beast and good luck for this year!

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Blooming heck that's brilliant! :speechles

As Paul said, get some pics up!

Oh ... and Happy Birthday /HappyBD

WildCards
25-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Nice one Don, saw you at the show but you were busy so I didn't stop to say Hi.

Spirit
25-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Many congrats on your birthday and the Le Mans thing too Don !

Wodjno
26-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Congrats on gettin ya car sorted finally. And on the LeMans season :speechles

Oh Yes.. And a Happety Birthaday to you to /rally

Nutter_John
26-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Well it really is a small world then Don , Now the beast has been awoken and she's purring away

No I hope you get some video of her running just to hear the engine sing

Is she going to run in the UK before you do Le Mans ?????

TAR
26-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Whoa, just in time.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DON

psbarham
26-01-2008, 09:12 AM
whoooo, now thats a bifday pressie i am truely truely jealous of, if you need a spare pair of hands in the pits then /Wyhy :D

/HappyBD /HappyBD

Rambaud
26-01-2008, 10:45 AM
/HappyBD /HappyBD

Hope you have a good 'un. :)

Good news about the car.

amsoil
26-01-2008, 11:29 AM
whoooo, now thats a bifday pressie i am truely truely jealous of, if you need a spare pair of hands in the pits then /Wyhy :D

/HappyBD /HappyBD

1st shake down may well be Snet in April, I'll let you know.

Little Miss Road Rage
26-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Happy Birthday Don

psbarham
27-01-2008, 09:47 AM
1st shake down may well be Snet in April, I'll let you know.

ooh just up the road from me, let me know the dates, coz if needs be i'll swap my standby dates 8)

Ryan
29-01-2008, 04:03 AM
That's a very cool story Don, I can imagine the elation when you turned the key. :)

amsoil
29-01-2008, 11:13 AM
That's a very cool story Don, I can imagine the elation when you turned the key. :)

Key? No, more like an old aeroplane (everything inside is aviation or militayapparently even the componentsa inside the ECU) ; Power lights on; Ignition on, Fuel pump 1 on, Fuel pump 2 on, then start switch up and contact whilst pressing down on the pedal which opens the slider throttle system and lets the engine spin with less resistance; as the engine buzes over close the throttles and she picks up with a bark and the warning lights go out. Then you have to gentally blip the throttle to get heat into the system getting more violent as the temp needle rises. When she is upto temp the exhaust note changes, its quite distinctive and from what The Man told me also means that the temp sensor isn't working/ getting its value to the ECU so the ECU takes a default value.

psbarham
29-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Mmmmmm slide throttles

amsoil
30-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Mmmmmm slide throttles

Gosh what am I thinking about? The XJR5 has got throttle bodies ; the new Even bigger) engine I am building has XJR7 sliders. /pan

psbarham
30-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Gosh what am I thinking about? The XJR5 has got throttle bodies ; the new Even bigger) engine I am building has XJR7 sliders. /pan

7 litres on slides? ooh that'll sound sweet on over run, all chattery and raw /drool

amsoil
31-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Just 7 litres shhhh

psbarham
31-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Just 7 litres shhhh

more?:o i thought 7 would be plenty, didn't they do some bigger ones for use in those off shore power boast thingys?

amsoil
31-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Funny you should say that, Guess where my 2 spare engines came from! It was said that they came from an F1 powerboat team but I wasn't certain until I was sent the engine log books from Group 44. One of them was shown as 'Power Boat Kit' and the other was an Ex XJR5 then XJR7 engine that seemed to grow in capacity over time before also going over to the UK with the 'power Boat' engine. Its possible that there where a #pair and a spare' but I only got the 2 and one had a hole in the block(now fixed).

Ryan
31-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Key? No, more like an old aeroplane (everything inside is aviation or militayapparently even the componentsa inside the ECU) ; Power lights on; Ignition on, Fuel pump 1 on, Fuel pump 2 on, then start switch up and contact whilst pressing down on the pedal which opens the slider throttle system and lets the engine spin with less resistance; as the engine buzes over close the throttles and she picks up with a bark and the warning lights go out. Then you have to gentally blip the throttle to get heat into the system getting more violent as the temp needle rises. When she is upto temp the exhaust note changes, its quite distinctive and from what The Man told me also means that the temp sensor isn't working/ getting its value to the ECU so the ECU takes a default value.

Pfffwoar! You really need to make a video and post it on PooTube, I'd really like to see this :D