PDA

View Full Version : Suspension alignment and replacing the centremember

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Guys,

Given that I have been ferking about with the suspension on mine a fair bit; fitting Teins, removing upper arms etc etc - I have decided that I am going to take it to have a full suspension alignment check done. I recall Barry used a place that he recommended so I will probably use them as I think they were a national company.

Anyway, the question is. If I replace my (slightly bent) front suspension centre member (you know the thing that the towing eye is on) after the suspension alignment do I need to get it redone? Or to put it another way, if I am going to get this part replaced, should I do it before I get the alignment check?

Personally, I can't see that replacing the centremember makes much difference to the alignment seeing as it's not adjustable and is only held in place with two bolts at the front and two bolts at the back. But given that it's considered part of the front suspension I thought it would be prudent to check.

Paul Beazer
25-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I would have though it better to replace the bits andd THEN get the aligment sorted, just to save yourself the expense and hassle of getting it done twice.

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I know what you are saying Paul, and I would normally agree. But the problem is that the best price I can get for a new centremember is £180 and the alignment costs a minimum of £60 (more if adjustments are needed). I can stretch to £60 odd at the moment but trying to justify spending £240 (£180+£60) at the moment is difficult as we are trying save every spare penny for our wedding later in the year.

Hence, the reason for the question.

If it really does not make any difference to the alignment then I will put it off till later.

Nice But
25-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Can you not take the old one off and re-align it wiv big 'ommer' saves 180 quid.

I had my RX8 aligned/corner weighted and balanced........ the difference was phenominal.......having the MX5 done soon.

White Lightning
25-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Can you not take the old one off and re-align it wiv big 'ommer' saves 180 quid.

The problem is that in the past (before my ownership) somebody has jacked the car up on the wrong part of the centremember. This has bent it and now on occassion when going over a bump the flywheel casing knocks against it. I have already removed it and flattened it a couple of times with a hammer and the problem seemed to go anyway. However, since changing the suspension the problem has come back presumably because it's now lower and firmer. I am not really comfortable with hammering it out some more as at the end of the day it is a structural part of the car.

Nutter_John
25-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Given that the cross member is only bolted onto the main chassis and is not load bearing I can not see why it would effect your elignment , also if I remember correctly the bolt holes are slotted

Nick Mann
25-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I have taken that member off my car several times and the car doesn't flex as you losen the bolts. I can't see any reason why you should check your geometry after changing it, provided all the holes line up on both the new and the old ones.

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 08:25 AM
i have never touched it one mine so id have to go have a look but id say get the alignment done. then when you change it mark it before you take it of and try to get the new one in the same place (if its slotted that is)

Eurospec
30-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Wayne, you mean the front centre member that runs front to back?

That wont affect your suspension geometry, the bolt holes have a lot of movement in them.

Cheers,

Ben.

White Lightning
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Wayne, you mean the front centre member that runs front to back?

Yep, that's the one Ben.

Cheers for all the replies guys ... I'll crack on and get the alignment done :thumbsup:

caishanvr4
02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
where abouts is this place wayne?