PDA

View Full Version : speed sensor

leepft
25-01-2008, 09:44 PM
the abs light and tcl light came on in my car today and now they stay on. was told this would be due to a naffed speed seansor does any1 here agree with that or could it be something else . i noticed that since it came on my brakes have spongy. strange but could the two things be relate???

stuartturbo
25-01-2008, 09:53 PM
abs fault is best if you read the fault codes out of it as it could be many things
ABS and the brakes feel should not be linked as the abs is a electrical intrusion on the hydraulic circuit with switches off as soon as a fault occurs

If your light is on you will not have abs but braking is exactly the same up until the abs would cut in ie skidding

Nick Mann
25-01-2008, 10:08 PM
It could be an abs sensor. Or an abs ring. Do you have AYC, and is that doing anything wierd?

leepft
26-01-2008, 07:13 AM
yea i have ayc. duznt do anything wierd i think i dnt know what it is suposed to do thoe.

Nick Mann
26-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Do you get the green AYC bars lighting up at all? Under what conditions do you see them?

leepft
27-01-2008, 01:08 AM
yea they light up when i go hard round a corner. ive neva been able to get them to go up to the third bar thoe and ive trown the car pretty hard into a corner

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 01:21 PM
If they are still behaving the same way, it would suggest to me that it is not necessarily a speed sensor. If you no longer get them, then definitely stick with the speed sensor theory. It's probably worth checking them anyway, but if the AYC is still working, then I think the sensors must still be okay too.

Throwing a VR4 into a corner is not the best way of using the AYC. The best way is slow in, fast out.

Yacuza
20-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread :)

But is it to understand that that IF the ABS light is on, it could have something to do With the AYC?? Because i run without the AYC function, i Guess its called open diff??

And since i have the AYC pump in the garage floor instead of in my car, will that flash up ABS light aswell??

Also to the gearbox sensor, has that something to do With the ABS light? BTW where is that gearbox sensor??

wintertidenz
21-05-2014, 01:30 AM
On a pre-facelift car, you may find that if it was an auto it will complain about taking AYC, ASC and TCL out. The systems are all linked in together.

I haven't pulled the AYC out myself so someone else may be along shortly to advise if you need to swap your ABS pump to a manual one.

CANDEE
21-05-2014, 05:03 AM
If you have removed ayc, then just make sure the ayc fuse has been removed under the bonnet.

swinks
21-05-2014, 02:18 PM
As said above. It's rather ASC kicking in.

Yacuza
22-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys . My oem 2.0GLS and the VR4 are bouth manuel cars. But the AYC fuse was indid in the fuse box - not anymore thoug

What is the ASC ?? Do i have it on a '96 VR4

wintertidenz
24-05-2014, 01:29 AM
If the VR4 was an auto converted to manual then yes it would have had it. ASC = auto stability control.
It was an option on FL auto cars, which most didn't take.

swinks
24-05-2014, 07:10 AM
All vehicles with ayc also were equipped with asc. In pfl cars asc was integrated with tcl hence two black boxes under the bonnet. Because of that it could be swiched off with tcl by simple button toggle insinde a cabin. After revision in 1998, in fl cars asc became integrated with abs and ayc (relay/fuse box from engine bay goes away) and stays active permamently on. Due to asc, all abs pumps (fl and pfl) are different to those from Galant n/a (harness plug).