PDA

View Full Version : Brakes vibration...... front or rear?

Nice But
26-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Posting this for a quick Q&A so I can get the bits ordered.

Under light braking I am getting vibration, but under prolonged heavy braking the vibration is horrific through the steering. Now I know that the stock disks aren't up to much, but will it be more likely fronts or rears........

I'm thinking fronts, so need to replace the disks and pads. are the EBC ones up to it? heard varying reports on other forums about them. I will replace eventually with KAD's or Brembo's eventually, but need a quick fix.

I new the disks needed doing when I bought the car so no problem...... I'm looking forward to getting the spanners on it/toycar

Cheers all

peter thomson
26-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Make sure the calipers are all sliding properly and none of the pistons are sticking first .Sounds like the front if you feel it through the steering.

Nice But
26-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Pete, they are pretty corroded as I think it was sat on the dock for a couple of months......... So some of the vibes are possibly from the calipers sticking?

Have a go at them tomorrow, I've got a sticky one on y MX5 to do as well. That can wait now.

bradc
26-01-2008, 06:54 PM
more than likely the fronts that have got pad deposits on them because the fronts obviously get a lot hotter than the rears.

The EBC's are an upgrade to the stock ones, but if you really want good performance, have a look for carbotech pads. You'll be after evo 4 pads, as they are the same as stock VR-4's

Beastlee
26-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Tyre pressure? It's amazing how that can fix this on a VR4.

Make sure they are at least 32psi

Ryan
26-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Just to add to this, I noticed that after I had my alignment done it smoothed out my braking a lot more too.

ANTHONY
26-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Tyre pressure? It's amazing how that can fix this on a VR4.

Make sure they are at least 32psitrue i had some rattles from the dash sorted the tyres all ticady bo now

Beastlee
26-01-2008, 10:35 PM
DjDime, who incidentally owns the white one I mentioned, was suffering from the same problem and thought it was his brakes. I told him to ceck the tyres before I turned up for a test drive and he was amazed how much better they felt!

Nick Mann
26-01-2008, 11:30 PM
If there is any problem with discs, then I would put my money on the fronts.

Nice But
27-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks all for the replies, will go and check the pressures now. The tyres are some crappy jap goodyears and a bit thin so that won't help. I may put new pads all round as they look a bit goosed anyway.

Thanks for the help...... gotta love this club.

Kieran
27-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Just to add, Nick and Brad mention discs - the standard system is notorious for pad deposits giving you a wobble. Tyres are possible but if they're out I would expect to feel vibration at all times.

Nikola
27-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi just saw this post, as a mechanic i thought i would offer my opinion.
(niks fella on niks name again sorry)
light wobble at low speeds i would of said pads only , any serious wobble at speeds indicates warped discs, and all cars brakes are set heavier on the front to the rear so first port of call is front discs and pads but personally i always change all four discs in 1 hope this helps tib

Nice But
27-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Had a bit more of a play today, the tyres are knacked so I've just ordered some new ones for the stock wheels, as it's gona be a few weeks before I can afford the new wheels.

Under gentle braking I can feel some slight wobble, from about 70 braking is a shake rattle and roll affair, until you stand hard on the brakes then the car just stops with no, or little, vubration.

Had a quick visual of the pads and they look almost screwed on the back, so am going to put new ones all round......... woohoo that'll be no brakes for a bit then.

When I've done that lot and they still do it, would it be worth a skim of them? I want to go Brembo's eventually, so a fix would be good.

Cheers

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 07:26 PM
If there is enough meat on them, you can skim them. I don't think you can lose much from standard thickness, though.

Nice But
27-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Cheers Nick, thought as much as most replacements give 24mm new 22mm scrap....../Grrr snot a lot.

I'll do the tyres 1st and have the tracking checked.

I do think the tyres are square though:oops:

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 08:05 PM
If you want a quick tyre check, pop over. I've got a spare set of wheels sitting there! Easy to try. Even rent for a time....

Nice But
27-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Cheers for the offer Bud.

I've ordered some Falken tyres (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s291p6196)for the 16's. I'll keep those for winter wheels so I don't spoil my fancy ones when I get them. They will be here tuesday so will have them fitted and see how they are, I'll have the tracking done as well as it's pulling slightly to the right.

I've got some Red stuff pads front and rear on their way as well....... if it still vibrates then it's the disks, but I'll be safe and legal then. It may have just passed it's MOT but the tyres are on the limit..../pan all the outside edges are worn is that the norm for this car?

Nick Mann
27-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Outside for a well set up and hard driven car. But watch for the inside edge, especially on the fronts. I have destroyed a couple of sets with excessive wear on the inside edge on the front, and I haven't yet pin pointed the problem!

I know others have had similar issues, too.

Nice But
27-01-2008, 11:03 PM
The insides seem ok....... worn about as much front and rear. I'll see what it's like with the new ones on.

CANDEE
28-01-2008, 02:17 AM
It may also be an im-balanced wheel... I had no probs with my 18's, then put my 16's back on and got shudder. When i put the 17's on it went away and found out that the wheel weights had come off the front left wheel..... Just a thought :scholar:

Nice But
28-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Candee...... I'm on those lines myself, as I get vibration at about 80mph. The new tyres should be here tomorrow so I'll get them fitted and see. It's an 11year old car so expect a few issues.