PDA

View Full Version : What disks and pads to buy???

Cezco
28-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I've looked all over the site trying to find what the best combination of disks and pads are but just can't find anything I'm happy with. Some are cracking others rattling etc. Does anyone have a good setup that doesn't have any problems so that I could buy the same? I've looked at black diamond as the are on offer from JDM performance but a few people have said there are problems. Also, would I be able to use redstuff pads?

Nevman
28-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I personally use Ferodo DS2500 and they are really good for every day use. However, if you want to take your car on track, they're not good enough. Wayne (White Lightning) advised me to go for EBC turbo groove disc and red stuff pads. For every day use I'd rather use Ferodo DS2500 or green stuff pads and red stuff for track use only as they need good warming up to get the best performance.
Some people use mintex pads but I think that mintex, green stuff and DS2500 are almost all the same.

Nutter_John
28-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Carbontech pads have a very good rep on here , do a search and yeah shall find more info on em

Cezco
28-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I've just found the national 8 groove disks at Woodford Garage for £149.99 and consequently bought them with some ferodo ds2500 pads. Will these be good enough. Were there problems with these disks causing them to be discontinued?

Nick Mann
28-01-2008, 05:12 PM
A lot of people used to swear by them. I've got a vague recollection of someone having problems with them - snapping? But I think that it was due to a sticking caliper.

Cezco
28-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Well I hope they don't snap! That could be interesting at speed...

Nick Mann
28-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Like I said - I think it was a caliper issue. I guess good pads when in contact with one side of a disc for an extended period can do serious damage. I'm sure that would be true of any disc.

I'm sure the story was posted on here, but I can't find the right search words to bring it up at the moment. I might have remembered the details wrong!

Ryan
29-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I use EBC green stuff on mine. I have new front (MMC issue) discs and are great for every day driving. I was moving out to overtake this b@stard slowpoke, 2nd gear - flooring it - then he just cut in front of me as I was about to go past him.

Needless to say I stomped on the brake and both my fiancee and I had an extreme closeup view of the air bag covers! (and of course I didn't land up having a Pajero as a hood ornament).

unclepete
29-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Need new discs all round and pads (probably Ferrodos if I can afford them). WHat do you think of these discs? They seem to be the ones most of you are recommending... Think I'll stick to standards at the back.

Not going to go into this with my eyes shut - this'll cost a fortune as it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GD974-EBC-DIMPLED-GROOVED-DISCS-F-LANCER-EVO4-EVO5-VR4_W0QQitemZ320177803642QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23013Q QcmdZViewItem

orionn2o
30-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I used a set of Nitrac Cold treated disks this time around coupled with Carbotec XP8 pads and I have to say i'm quite impressed!

And the whole lot only cost me around 330 quid! (for fronts only)

Cezco
30-01-2008, 06:29 PM
There is a thread on here about the EBC Discs cracking under hard use. Worth checking first...

Nice But
30-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I've just got a full set of red stuff pads from Camskill as mine are almost knaced on the back, so will swap those out at the weekend, and have my new Falken FK452 16's fitted to see if I can get rid of the shake, rattle etc I'm getting.

I will eventually upgrade my front brakes to KAD or Brembo's when I've got the cash lying around but as a stop gap has anyone used these disks from Camskill? (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1395p5556)

I want a half decent set up that will cope with the odd track day, my MX5 will be the main track monkey, it's rude not to take the leggy out though.....:happy: