PDA

View Full Version : Tyre advice

Little Miss Road Rage
29-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I had a puncture this morning and it can't be repaired so is it ok just to replace the 2 front tyres and not effect the 4x4 system. The rear tyres are a year old and we don't do many miles. I was told u should replace all 4 together but as we're skint if I can get away with just 2 that would be better.

The guy at the tyre place also told me that it wouldn't matter that the tyres he's quoted me for have a different tread pattern is that true?

sanct
29-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I had a puncture this morning and it can't be repaired so is it ok just to replace the 2 front tyres and not effect the 4x4 system. The rear tyres are a year old and we don't do many miles. I was told u should replace all 4 together but as we're skint if I can get away with just 2 that would be better.

The guy at the tyre place also told me that it wouldn't matter that the tyres he's quoted me for have a different tread pattern is that true?

IMO
In a perfect world change all four and keep same tread.
Absolutely fine to replace in pairs (either two front or two rear)
Just keep the same tread per pair. (both same at front or both same at rear)

Little Miss Road Rage
29-01-2008, 11:39 AM
thankyou

HJM
29-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Kelly

Where are you getting them from?

We always find Protyres in Poole the cheapest 'locally' for our Falkens.

Cheers,

Jane

Little Miss Road Rage
29-01-2008, 11:48 AM
hiya i'm getting them online so i can get the same make as i've got already thanks anyway

Beastlee
29-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm sure on of the folks here has posted recently about how bad it is to have different tyres front and rear. It may be left and right but I'm sure following a recent accident it was advised not to mix. I'll see if I can spot the thread with the info in.

Update : the thread was for Kush.Bex when their car hit black ice. Brad's post (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=298134&postcount=20) clearly warns about it.

Little Miss Road Rage
29-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that. I've just ordered exactly the same tyres as I've got on the back they'll just have more tread so they should be ok

Roadrunner
29-01-2008, 01:09 PM
You won't have any problem with more tread on the front tyres than the back, unless there's more than 3mm or 4mm tread difference. With any difference in rolling circumference, the centre diff has to work a bit harder, but it won't affect the handling.

I would always caution against mixing different tread patterns, even if on the same make of tyre, because the tyre characteristics will be different and will have an effect on handling, grip, etc. These are high performance cars and a combination of chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres and driver all contribute to your ability to keep the car on the grey stuff and out of the fields - you don't need to add unpredictable tyre behaviour into the equation.

iNFiD3L
29-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm sure on of the folks here has posted recently about how bad it is to have different tyres front and rear. It may be left and right but I'm sure following a recent accident it was advised not to mix. I'll see if I can spot the thread with the info in.

Update : the thread was for Kush.Bex when their car hit black ice. Brad's post (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=298134&postcount=20) clearly warns about it.
I can vouch for that ... I remember the first couple of weeks i had my vr4. It had direzzas at the front and michelin snow/ice tyres at the back ... needless to say it was an over-steering mess when i was poking around with the throttle /rally

Nick Mann
29-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Kelley - sounds like you are doing the best thing. The fronts do wear slightly quicker than the rears anyway, so you could well end up wearing them all out at the same time.

:thumbsup:

bradc
29-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Should be ok then, how much tread do you have on the back wheels?

Little Miss Road Rage
29-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Should be ok then, how much tread do you have on the back wheels?

Not sure I'll have a measure tom

Little Miss Road Rage
30-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Couldn't believe it the tyres arrived this afternoon so I've had them fitted and had the tracking done at Protyre and they were really good. They even told a bloke he didn't need a new battery as his had tested up fine and just needed a good charge!!!!