PDA

View Full Version : Shift points

gazberwick
30-01-2008, 12:07 AM
am i right in thinking that the shift points on the tiptronic ecu will remain in kph.even tho the speedo reads in mph thanks to a converter gismo.

If so is there any way around this (is the tip ecu reprogramable) as i find driving in tip does nothing to alter the shift points when in auto , it always changes from 5th to 4th to early when im in sunday driver mode and when in tiptronic i cant change up into 5th at 40mph whilst in sunday driver mode. So is the gearbox thinking that im doing 40 kph instead of me actually doing 40mph?

Cheers

Gaza.

Nutter_John
30-01-2008, 12:11 AM
err no the gearbox is a clever one and will adapt to how you want to change gear , you have been driving along at a too sedate speed :P

Just reset the ecu and it will re learn how you drive

gazberwick
30-01-2008, 12:36 AM
err no the gearbox is a clever one and will adapt to how you want to change gear , you have been driving along at a too sedate speed :P

Just reset the ecu and it will re learn how you drive

Exactly...it should adapt to how i drive!

When im going hell for leather it changes just before the redline but at slower speeds it doesnt respond in an intelligent manner... the gearbox must have a fail safe or minimum required speed before allowing it to be manually ( or should that be Tiptronicly?) put into fith!? but if the ecu thinks the car is at 40KPH rather than 40 MPH (64KPH) i think the ecu tries to block this gearchange to prevent stress damage to the motor an box because of course even in sunday mode who would try and select fith gear at 24.86 MPH?

....just like you cant select third whilst stationary and drive off!!! ?

What do ya think?

open to all.

Gaza.

Kieran
30-01-2008, 01:05 AM
am i right in thinking that the shift points on the tiptronic ecu will remain in kph.even tho the speedo reads in mph thanks to a converter gismo.

Not unless the converter has been badly installed. The speed signal goes both to the gearbox ECU and the clocks. Most speedo converters are wired in just before the dash, interrupting the signal to the speedo only.

If so is there any way around this (is the tip ecu reprogramable) as i find driving in tip does nothing to alter the shift points when in auto.

That is correct behaviour. Tippy mode shouldn't alter the shift points back in normal. Tip overrides the 'fuzzy logic'. If you want to make the shift points move within their range you have to 'feather' them in with your throttle. It soon picks it up. As an example, when I picked up my Legnum from Nick, the shift points were at higher rpm than I liked - But by the time I got home it was adapting to my style. What does catch it out is varying style in a short space of time - you'll often find it hangs on to gears when you've been huffing it, even though you don't want it to.

it always changes from 5th to 4th to early when im in sunday driver mode and when in tiptronic i cant change up into 5th at 40mph whilst in sunday driver mode.

the gearbox must have a fail safe or minimum required speed before allowing it to be manually ( or should that be Tiptronicly?) put into fifth.

Again, the above sounds about right. What you must remember is that each gear has a 'range' where the shift will happen - and as I recall, 40mph is about the minimum 4-->5 changepoint on acceleration irrespective of mode. If you look at the service manuals, you'll see that the gear ranges overlap somewhat - as an example, 4th will take the car from just about 30mph right to about 135 if you keep the hammer down. The gearbox ECU will pinpoint where within those ranges to shift, based on previous loading, gradient detected, throttle position, etc.

bradc
30-01-2008, 05:19 AM
In a jap spec car in NZ without any converters or anything, you could change into 5th at 60kph, which is about 37mph.

You shouldn't be changing into 5th that low anyway, you'll be using the torque converter to get you moving which will overheat the oil and kill the gearbox.

Just drive it in tiptronic, it is a million times better

djb160
31-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Yeah I think I remember mine changing at about 45kph