PDA

View Full Version : jumping power steering belt issue

Gly
30-01-2008, 07:00 AM
i know this was covered a long time ago,

i know the cause of it (high rpm),

but is there a way to fix it??

mines done it a couple of times,
yesterday the belt jumped over and totaled the belt...

fitted a new one today, no biggie.
$28nz for both alt belt and PS belt. and 30min of my time to replace.

was the higher sidewalled PS pully wheel the only way??
or was there any other solutions?

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 07:05 AM
are you using genuine belts? the only time i have ever seen a belt jump is either coz its the wrong one, or its not adjusted properly.

your pully aint damaged is it?

o yeah, did you get my pm?

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 07:12 AM
is the tensioner ok? not de adjusting itself?

Gly
30-01-2008, 08:44 AM
yep all is fine as far as i can see...

there is a little play in the tensioner pully bearing,

i did have standard belts on (now binned),
ive now got bosch replacements,
they seam fine so far, there the correct fitment and length,

ive got to adjust the tension on the PS one thou as its loosened up a bit after driving,

yes i did get your PM just forgot about it....
replied now

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 08:50 AM
sweet bro.

if it were me id adjust the belts up again as they streatch when new. then check that tensioner again in a week or 2. i have given my car absolute **** (well before i that little run in with the cops) and have never jumped a belt.

it might be that at high rpm that play is enough to throw the belt?

well thats my thought anyway

Gly
30-01-2008, 09:02 AM
yep exactly what its doing....

ill adjust them tomorrow,

roughly how much up and down movement should there be...

ill get you to have a look at my belt tension at the workshop day again.

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 09:06 AM
you mean up and down tension on the belt? you should just beable to move it

Eurospec
30-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Very often you can find a little bit of play in the air con pump pulley- you know when the bearings start to go in the clutch on the end. The pulley then doesnt rotate in the right orientation (its very slightly canted when the belt is tightened up) and this will cause the belt to skip.

Similarly, although more infrequently, the power steering pumps do the same.

If you are lucky it will skip the belt, and throw it off. If you are unlucky, the last actions of the flaing belt is to chew through the crank angle sensor wires, causing the car to stop. Joy.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ben.

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 09:26 AM
that is a point, but never actually seen that happen on a ps pump

Gly
30-01-2008, 09:27 AM
you mean up and down tension on the belt? you should just beable to move it

yep so 5-10mm tops (along the longest straight length of the belt)

Very often you can find a little bit of play in the air con pump pulley- you know when the bearings start to go in the clutch on the end. The pulley then doesnt rotate in the right orientation (its very slightly canted when the belt is tightened up) and this will cause the belt to skip.

Similarly, although more infrequently, the power steering pumps do the same.

If you are lucky it will skip the belt, and throw it off. If you are unlucky, the last actions of the flaing belt is to chew through the crank angle sensor wires, causing the car to stop. Joy.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ben.

thanks for that, any easy way of repairing/replacing the bearings in the pumps?
might look into down the track if it happens again.

Eurospec
30-01-2008, 10:09 AM
On the Air con clutch, yes, you can get a new bearing kit for it from mitsu. For the PS pump, not that i know of.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nick Mann
30-01-2008, 10:32 AM
The worst case scenario is the belt snaps and finds its way to the cam belt. I think that is very unlikely, although it has happened in a similar way once.

Physician spent a long time trying to overcome this problem, so maybe narrowing a site search on his username, or sending him a PM could help?

Paul Beazer
30-01-2008, 01:42 PM
The worst case scenario is the belt snaps and finds its way to the cam belt. I think that is very unlikely, although it has happened in a similar way once.

Physician spent a long time trying to overcome this problem, so maybe narrowing a site search on his username, or sending him a PM could help?
Didnt Rich end up getting a replacement pully wheel with higher sides machined up to resolve it?

Subaru ETA
31-01-2008, 08:33 AM
i was talking to my mate today who used to have a vr4. he threw his ps belt once. at just before the redline in second gear. he just chucked a genuine belt on it and checked the tension with the wizz bang tension checking device at work and it never happened again so he just assumed it was a tension issue

Gly
31-01-2008, 08:36 AM
wow she screamed this morning!! LOL!

retensioned the belts all good now, lets see if it happens again.

Subaru ETA
31-01-2008, 08:38 AM
haha ill check the tension for you at the workshop day if you want