PDA

View Full Version : Boost Tap

vr4_fanatic
30-01-2008, 07:57 AM
I was informed recently
1997 vr4 turbo's, as they are standed arent made to handle too much more boost.

Just would like someone to confirm this who may know.
Im guessing the standed turbo is running 7psi

I was considiering buying boost tap, but now not soo sure, it would be worth it.

Any help would be helpful

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 08:08 AM
well brad and uc run like 19psi or something like that! std is around 7 - 10 psi

you can put a boost tap on it but you must fit a gauge aswell to keep tabs on it. fuel cut is around 15psi so you would be winding it close to that i assume. then when you go out on a cold night you will be bouncing off fuel cut all the time due to the cold air.

i would suggest a electronic boost controller.

my car ran around 8 - 9 psi before i did the exhaust on it. now it runs constant 11 - 12 psi and spiking as high as 14psi on a cold night (i have no aftermarket boost controller. now emagine if i were to fit a boost tap and set it so it was running at say 13 psi. it will take i cold mornig and ill have to pull over and adjust it to keep of fuel cut

vr4_fanatic
30-01-2008, 08:37 AM
thanks for the info man.
Will definately keep it in mind, yeah i was gonna do the boost gauge to keep tabs, but sounds like electronic might be the better option

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 08:41 AM
i meaa at the end of the day it depends how much cash you got. you could go as far as just going to aftermarket ecu and doing things that way.

if you are going to get a tap tho, buy a turbosmart or other quality one like that. not a $40 job

vr4_fanatic
30-01-2008, 08:47 AM
sweet dude, yeah i mean eventually im gonna put alot of money into this car,
but slowly haha, unless a crazy payrise comes about

bradc
30-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah we're both around 19-20 pounds, I haven't had any problems at all, and Uc has had his setup for 2.5 years now and he's done about 40000km with them, and he doesn't drive it slow!

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 09:00 AM
i havent been in yours yet brad but i drove ucs one and yea that thing moves! doesnt seem to spike too much either but i think i saw it up to about 22psi a couple of times.

i must admit that those external wastegates sound mean!

bradc
30-01-2008, 09:09 AM
mine is quicker :)

Subaru ETA
30-01-2008, 09:11 AM
lol well im gonna have to go for a ride in it then!! and get some externals, they sound mean! :p

bradc
30-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I prefer my intake suction noise :D

hi flyer
30-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I've had the leggy at the machanics for 5 days now and just got it back this afternoon. It had an electronic controller but isn't hooked up right i believe. The machanic disconnected something on the turbos to see if the turbos were still fine and he had it up to 1.3 bar (19psi) before fuel cut kicked in. So next job is to figure out whats the problem with the setup.

Subaru ETA
31-01-2008, 10:12 AM
what the?!?! did he disconnect the wastegate actuator or the boost solinoid??

fuel cut should have kicked in way before that unless it has somekind of fuel cut defender or something?

Turbo_Steve
31-01-2008, 12:12 PM
OR it's been chipped/remaped/something in Japan.

Also, if he was testing this off-road (i.e. in gear on a ramp or similar) then you can make more boost before the fuel cut. Depends how the ECU measures the boost: on the early evos (for example) fuel cut is based on a MAF reading. So with no load, you can make boost pressure without en ough volume of air to invoke fuel cut. If that makes sense?

hi flyer
01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Interesting:thinking: I think he was on the road. I'll have to ask him. So at what pressure should the fuel cut kick in? He disconnected the wastegate actuators. It shows up on the boost controller aswel as showing 1.27bar max. I've redone the piping for the boost controller so it actually works now!:scholar: Although on full throttle the boost is inconsistant at times. Hope its not major.:inquisiti

Subaru ETA
02-02-2008, 05:28 AM
fuel cut should come in at about the 15 psi mark. my mate ran around on 1bar with no cut

hi flyer
02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Well i haven't had the guts to take it up that high yet. Rather not do any damage to the engine. I'll look into fuelling mods soon. The boost controller has made a hugh difference to the torque. Feels like a new car.

GeoVR4
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
will it be dangerous to boost up on 1 bar? stoch turbos, one thing which i did is kakimoto racing exhaust system, galant vr4 1999 type S, tiptronic

Subaru ETA
12-02-2008, 06:29 AM
well the higher the boost the more chance you have of things going bad if it leans out too much, so fuel mods are a must really. search is your friend

bradc
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
it should be fine, long term you might want to do as suggested though, keep an eye on your fuelling and tune.