PDA

View Full Version : Whats TCL on/off for?

Ultra VR-4
16-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi, im pretty fresh, i was just wondering if anyone knows what the little button on the right next to the steering wheel means. It says TCL...

chris
16-05-2003, 05:41 AM
That is the Traction control switch. It is turned on automatically when you start the car but you can turn it off.

Ultra VR-4
16-05-2003, 05:44 AM
oh yeah? so does that mean you get extra traction when you warm your car up?

chris
16-05-2003, 05:50 AM
No it means it transfers drive to each wheel depending on which wheel has traction. Mainly to stop the car sliding out and keep drive on the road.

Petrolhead
16-05-2003, 04:33 PM
I don't have that on my car. I also don't have a dashboard light dimmer switch. I seem to have a foglight switch in it's place :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Brind
16-05-2003, 06:40 PM
I have a dimmer switch.

I think you are talking about the Active Yaw Control, Chris.

Traction control adjusts the speed of the car when pulling away hard to get the most grip with as much power as possible, in other words it just stops wheel spin when you pull away hard.

The AYC enables you to take corners etc faster by applying power and braking to individual wheels when needed.

I have info about the TCL in my manual but I don't think I have it, at least not a switch as far as I know..

Nick VR4
16-05-2003, 07:41 PM
My dimmer switch is near the steering column right hand side just below the dashboard
Fog light is further over to the right

Petrolhead
16-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Ahh, but I have an Import, with presumably an after-market foglight.

Brind
16-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Petrolhead, do you have the sporty interior? with Recaro seats etc?

Nick VR4
16-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Front fog switch is right hand side near dashboard
Rear fog is below that with heated front windscreen INSERT INTO post VALUES (only heats the wiperblade part )

Petrolhead
16-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Petrolhead, do you have the sporty interior? with Recaro seats etc?

Nah, standard interior unfortunately

chris
18-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Brind,

My traction control switch is next to the rear dimister switch under the fog light switch on the right of the steering wheel. When you turn it off it comes up with TCL off on the dash.

Not sure about what you say about traction control, but I do know once I tried to floor it from moving going down a very steep windy gradiant and the traction control light INSERT INTO post VALUES (a little car with skid marks after it)came on flashing and it disconnected the drive until I backed off ????? Sorry never tried it with the TCL off, gave me the willies though.

Brind
19-05-2003, 12:41 AM
That's pretty much what I meant.
If you turn off the traction control system you could wheel spin up the road if you like.

I'll check where you say the switch is but I'm 99% sure I don't have one, but I'd guess it has the system as It's nigh on impossible to wheel spin the car.

The AYC INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ative Yaw Control) is completely different as it is a type of active rear differential that helps to provide maximum traction to individual rear wheels according to sensed forces on the car and the drivers input while cornering.

jaysback
19-05-2003, 10:38 AM
my TCL switch is on the right side of the steering wheel, lower set of switches, first on the left.

i have the estate so next to it is the rear wiper de-mister type switch. dont know what it does as the wipe switch is on the wiper stick on the colume?
INSERT INTO post VALUES (dream mode on) someone has fitted a gems ecu and used that switch as the anti lag............ INSERT INTO post VALUES (wakes up from day dream)