PDA

View Full Version : whats faster

zedy1
06-02-2004, 11:35 PM
is the galant vr4 faster or the gto twin turbo?

Kieran
06-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Taken from the UK 3000GT/GTO club....

0-60 mph in 5.6 secs. Max speed 155 mph

This is the spec for the standard UK (Big turbo) 3000GT

Kieran
06-02-2004, 11:45 PM
And a few more stats for you...

3 Litre V6 24-valve engine
Twin Turbochargers
Twin Intercoolers
0-60 mph in 5.6 secs. Max speed 155 mph
Getrag 5-speed Gearbox
Four Wheel Drive
Four Wheel Steering
Electronically Controlled Suspension
ABS Braking
Active Aerodynamics
Catalytic Converters
Impact Absorbing Front/Rear Bumpers
SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) Airbag
Side Impact Door Beams
Anti-Theft System
Tinted Glass
Electronically Operated/Heated Door Mirrors
Tilt-Up/Removeable Glass Sunroof
Central Door Locking
Electrically Operated Windows
Fully Automatic Air Conditioning with ICON Display
Electrically Adjustable Driver's Seat
Leather Upholstery (Front Seats, Steering Wheel, Handbrake/Gear Levers)
50/50 Split Folding Rear Seats
Auto-Cruise Control
Stereo CD/Radio/Cassette System with Six Speakers
281 bhp (210 kW) at 6000 rpm
3000 lb. ft. (407 Nm) at 3000 rpm
High pressure 10" clutch
Elasticised paint
Main outer panels and major stress points are of high-tensile steel
5.8 cu. ft. (165 litres) of load area (boot)
6 year anti-corrosion perforation guarantee

Kieran
06-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Dare I say it.....

Hell.....

I rather fancy the GTO non-turbo automatic! (None of the turbos were fitted with autoboxes)...

zedy1
06-02-2004, 11:50 PM
thanks kieran

Brind
07-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Statistics are statistics, depends how you drive it.

There is a huge hill that goes up along way and then you drive along the top for several miles.
The road going up it is quite twisty and steep but it's alot of fun blasting up the side of it!! you have to dodge silly islands as you go up which adds to the thrill.

I went up it once in a S13 Nissan 200SX (1.8i turbo) with a couple of mates in it.
See this car behind me was quite close so like you do, you floor it!! so I shoot up it and the car behind is following and trying to take me.
Got to the top and it was a GTO on my arse drive on abit and he had to turn off but gave a flash of his lights as he went off.

Spirit
07-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Must admit we looked at GTO's long before we thought about the VR4, but we never found a decent example in this area at the time - luckily for us :-D

Nick VR4
07-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I would say depends who's driving it
Would be a close call IMHO

Some guy on Scobby net had one and it was playing up at times
The Active Aerodynamics and AYC thingy stopped working and caused a few heart beating moments think he chopped it in for a Scobby or Vtec

Nick Mann
07-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Have a friend who used to have one. It was a '92 twin turbo. Very unreliable - but he was sold a lemon by a company (Auto Panache) who then declared bankrupcy! That's a different story......

I would say his car felt quicker than my VR-4. Mine is auto, his was manual, maybe thats the difference, but mine doesn't kick you in the back the same way his did. I saw all four wheels spin on his car in the dry, and he had 285 rubber on the wheels! His car was not AYC, he had 4 wheel steer. We didn't own the cars at the same time, so never did a direct comparison.

enigma
07-02-2004, 06:04 PM
I think the GTO 'looks' faster, it probably goes faster too........but I know which I would prefer to drive!

Its all relative though, my AUTO Legnum will kick a standard twin turbo Manual GTOs butt to 60!

The GTOs can be had cheap now though, so always worth the pose value! And starting from 3l rather than 2.5l will always help!

Nick Mann
07-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Agree with you there, Dave. The GTO is a massive car with no room inside. Not particularly versatile.

KiwiTT
15-02-2004, 10:36 PM
In NZ you can get GTOs for half the price of the VR-4 secondhand.

Also no AYC or TC.

Nick Mann
15-02-2004, 10:46 PM
The four wheel steer is the compensation for the ayc I think. Which system is better? I assume ayc, but not by a huge amount. The traction control is not much of an issue, IMO. Four wheels driving with wide tyres - you need ice or a lack of brain to struggle with traction!

KiwiTT
15-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Four wheels driving with wide tyres - you need ice or a lack of brain to struggle with traction!

Have to agree with you about TC. More a hinderance then a asset. However it has kicked in a couple of times, when accelearting out of a corner. Damn nuisance.

Nick Mann
15-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Would you have lost control or struggled to accelerate without the TC? It can help, for sure, but it is not an item I would look for on a four wheel drive road car. Maybe if I had it, I would have a different opinion!.....

zedy1
15-02-2004, 11:45 PM
just had a drive in a friends bmw 840 sport 4.4 v8 it had a anti skid control divice and always came n when you floored it even on a straight line

Ryan
22-05-2009, 08:20 AM
The four wheel steer is the compensation for the ayc I think. Which system is better? I assume ayc, but not by a huge amount. The traction control is not much of an issue, IMO. Four wheels driving with wide tyres - you need ice or a lack of brain to struggle with traction!

I'd say AYC is better by a long way given the fact that it transfers torque away from the wheel that is spinning (or about to) to the one that is load bearing.

4WS merely points the wheels in a different direction - if you approached a corner with enough speed and a sharp enough steering angle, the rear would break free regardless of AYC or anything else for that matter - no?

Nutter_John
22-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Ryan you win

- The Tread from the Dead award -

AlanDITD
22-05-2009, 08:43 AM

I dont think 4ws and AYC are comparible tbh. My preludes all had 4ws, they help keep the car balanced. But if you go into a corner over cooking it slightly, the 4ws wont help split the power to wheels. and keep you right.

It may infact make it worse.

Ryan
22-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Do I get a big hat? :sombrero:

miller
22-05-2009, 09:40 AM
The 4WS was HORRIBLE, the car just felt wrong especially through corners. Oh and the TT yes it gives a kick. The n/a is just a waste of space and effort trying to get the 2tons to move.

MPBVr4
22-05-2009, 10:39 AM
As Mike said the 3000GT (when I'm allowed to use it) can be bit of a handful weighing in at nearly 2 tons. Not really sure what the 4 WS does for you although roundabouts are quite fun (don't tell 'er in doors). The torque from the 3 litre TT is very very strong, but give me a VR4 any day.

HJM
22-05-2009, 01:23 PM
As Mike said the 3000GT (when I'm allowed to use it) can be bit of a handful weighing in at nearly 2 tons. Not really sure what the 4 WS does for you although roundabouts are quite fun (don't tell 'er in doors). The torque from the 3 litre TT is very very strong, but give me a VR4 any day.

Obviously not owned a Supra then Malc ? /Steeringw

H

MPBVr4
22-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Obviously not owned a Supra then Malc ? /Steeringw

H

Nope. Had a couple Datsun 260Z's a few years ago which I understand were similar to drive. Macfersons all round, rear wheel drive etc nicely balanced car in it's day.

Stagman
22-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I looked at and drove several GTOs a few years ago, but as mentioned further back in this thread, they are very small inside, and you can't tell where each corner of the car is as they all stick much further out than the cabin. When I was searching for one, I came across a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo which I'd never even considered, well I sat in it, and it just fitted like a glove and I bought one very shortly afterwards, as for driving pleasure, there is absolutely no comparison, it was very difficult not to buy another when I was searching for my Legnum, if I had the space and time I definately would.

Scanny
24-05-2009, 05:44 PM
i was looking at GTOs a few years ago but i heard a lot about reliability problems and that put me off. looks though, if a GTO was a woman, well i would!/Banana
i would definately have a facelift GTO in my dream garage sitting between a VR4 and R35 GTR

PaddyB
25-05-2009, 02:18 AM
My workmate used to have a GTO TT. He loved it ..... but he wouldn't have another one.

What does he drive now ??? A Galant 2.4 GDI.

What does he want to drive now ??? A VR4.

'Nuff said.