PDA

View Full Version : How to bleed brakes?

Cezco
30-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Can anyone tell me the order in which to bleed the brakes on the VR-4 please. Cheers.

Nice But
30-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Furthest away 1st........ that's the way I've always done it, I presume they're dual cct.

You'll need a litre of fluid if your going to flush the system apparently. It's on my to do list.

mpau009
30-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Can anyone tell me the order in which to bleed the brakes on the VR-4 please. Cheers.

I havent had to play with the brakes on my VR4 yet, but when i did brakes at work, we always bleed them from the furthest away from the master cylinder, ie the longest line first. I havent checked, but im guessing that would be rear left on the VR4, so id go RL RR, FL FR? Maybe someone else will know for sure?

Cezco
30-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Does it really matter if I did do them slightly wrong?

Nick Mann
30-01-2008, 08:06 PM
That's the way I have always done it. No issues yet.

richy rich
30-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I havent had to play with the brakes on my VR4 yet, but when i did brakes at work, we always bleed them from the furthest away from the master cylinder, ie the longest line first. I havent checked, but im guessing that would be rear left on the VR4, so id go RL RR, FL FR? Maybe someone else will know for sure?
Yep that is how Ive always done it.

RL, RR, FL, FR is the way you do most right hand drive cars as the master is FR.

richy rich
30-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Does it really matter if I did do them slightly wrong?
Not really as long as you have got rid of all the air.

Nick Mann
30-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Yep that is how Ive always done it.

RL, RR, FL, FR is the way you do most right hand drive cars as the master is FR.

Except for Vickys 206, which still has the master cylinder on the LHS. I've never seen linkage for the brake master cylinder quite like it! /pan

Cezco - sounds like if this method ain't right, it's good enough!!

Cezco
30-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Cheers. I'll do that tomorrow when I fit my new disks and pads :-)

richy rich
30-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Except for Vickys 206, which still has the master cylinder on the LHS. I've never seen linkage for the brake master cylinder quite like it! /pan

Cezco - sounds like if this method ain't right, it's good enough!!
Yes but thats a French skate board not a car so don't count. :inquisiti

pitslayer
30-01-2008, 10:12 PM
and try to avoid using those sleazy bleed systems, i dont like them, sometimes the cap doesnt fit right, and you end up with brake fluid flying all over the paint work

richy rich
30-01-2008, 11:13 PM
and try to avoid using those sleazy bleed systems, i dont like them, sometimes the cap doesnt fit right, and you end up with brake fluid flying all over the paint work
Yep second that.

Kieran
30-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Thirded that - Bought one for the Golf - it's never bloody worked.

I do have a 'one man' bleeding kit (basically a vented container complete with sealed tube and a one way valve in it) and that works very well.

richy rich
31-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I do have a 'one man' bleeding kit (basically a vented container complete with sealed tube and a one way valve in it) and that works very well.
I've made my own in the past using a length of silicon tube a bolt that is very tight in the tube and a bottle/jar .(also need a knife)

Push the bolt in to 1 end of tube then put a very small slit in the tube just above the bolt so it just goes in to the ID off the tube(this will make a none return valve) and ha presto.:scholar:

psbarham
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I've made my own in the past using a length of silicon tube a bolt that is very tight in the tube and a bottle/jar .(also need a knife)

Push the bolt in to 1 end of tube then put a very small slit in the tube just above the bolt so it just goes in to the ID off the tube(this will make a none return valve) and ha presto.:scholar:

the easy way is to put about an inch of fluid into the jar first and then use a normal bit of pipe, the fluid acts as an nrv, and to a certain degree helps it siphon though.

White Lightning
01-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Yep, that's what I use ... and I use the method described above. Again, no issues here :scholar:

richy rich
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
the easy way is to put about an inch of fluid into the jar first and then use a normal bit of pipe, the fluid acts as an nrv, and to a certain degree helps it siphon though.
Yep that works as well.

stuartturbo
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
did mine last time using a vacum pump thing