PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, help, thanks.

slaine
01-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi there, good night.

I just tried to get the car to go and pick up me missus from work, and I shat meself, badly... :sad3:

I got in the car, put the key in, and right when I turn it to get the dash lights on and the engine checked a noise like an electric discharge comes from under the bonnet just for a couple of seconds, then I tried to start the car and everything went off /Grrr
Now if I put the key in nothing happens, dont do anything at all, so I've waited 5 minutes, asked the missus to get in the drivers seat (this seat is just mine but this was an emergency) and put the key in while I'm with a torch looking in the engine bay like a nutter for anything unusual... :inquisiti
As soon as she turns it to get the dash lights on and engine checked that noise comes from the right part of the engine block, close to the surroundings of end of the air intake pipe, but I cant make exactly where is coming from though, is too late/dark/cold... :undecided

Recently I've had the car serviced, new sparks, oil, filters, and the sparks are NGK Platinum, this was around a month ago or so, and since then I've had also the exhaust system done as well, dont know if that will make any difference.

I dont know what to do, or what could be the problem, no idea whatsoever... :uhoh2: I really need help here, so any ideas/info will be greatly appreciated, many thanks /thankyou

ANTHONY
01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
could be the starter motor or shaged battery, i'v just had to get a new battery for mine yesterday

ianturbo
01-02-2008, 12:47 AM
sounds like battery to me also !!not enough juice to turn starter .
ian

Kieran
01-02-2008, 01:00 AM
When I have replaced batteries on my galants I've noticed that it makes a chattery noise when you switch the ignition back on.

I also agree that your battery is the prime suspect here.

Plan of action:

Check your battery terminals are tight and clean. A loose connection can cause trouble.

Get a multimeter, set it for DC voltage and measure the volts across the battery terminals. You're looking for around 12V with the ignition off. A little less with the ignition on is okay, but If it's below 11 volts, then you've probably got a flat or tired battery.

Try that first. If you can jump start the car using a fresh battery, do so, and then measure volts across the terminals again once the engine is running. You should see around 13.5volts plus after a minute or two - Initially it might be a tad more as it replenishes the battery.

slaine
01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi there, thanks for the quick replies.

Battery? I bought this one just before last summer, brand new BOSCH Asiansilver, bloody expensive one :( I'll have a look to it this evening, the battery has a mirror little hole on top that it has to be green, if is not it means is dead or almost there, last time I checked was green though... damn :( I'll also check the volts, thank god I have a multimeter around somewhere...

Davezj
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
good bit of advise here, kerian is bang on the money, anyone would think he knows a lot about car or something like that.

when you get it started check with a multimeter on DC again you should be getting 14V ish volts at the battery, if the alternator is changing ok. if you get about 18V then the voltage regulator could have gone on the back of the alterator and you are over charging the battery which can be as bad for the battery as under charging.

well thats my 2p worth.
hope it helps

slaine
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi there, good afternoon.

The thing is that the car wont start, at all.
Thats the main thing, when I turn the key to start the car it all goes off, lights on the dash and all, it doesnt even start the engine, and if I try right after to put the key in, it wont do anything, I have to wait a few minutes to put the key in and see the lights in the dash on again...

Turbo_Steve
01-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Definitely sounds battery related (depending on the nature of the noise you describe).

As you've just had a load of stuff done to it, I would definitely be checking the terminals are tight, as loose terminals can behave exactly as you describe.

But it does sound like the colder weather has got to the battery. Do you do a lot of short runs?

slaine
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Definitely sounds battery related (depending on the nature of the noise you describe).

As you've just had a load of stuff done to it, I would definitely be checking the terminals are tight, as loose terminals can behave exactly as you describe.

But it does sound like the colder weather has got to the battery. Do you do a lot of short runs?

Well, I do a lot of short runs, in fact most of my runs are just like that, very true there.
Does that make any difference?

ANTHONY
01-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I do a lot of short runs, in fact most of my runs are just like that, very true there.
Does that make any difference?yes i had a brand new ford transit and i only do local runs, after 18 months the battery was knackered. you need to give them a good run every week or so

Davezj
01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi there, good afternoon.

The thing is that the car wont start, at all.
Thats the main thing, when I turn the key to start the car it all goes off, lights on the dash and all, it doesnt even start the engine, and if I try right after to put the key in, it wont do anything, I have to wait a few minutes to put the key in and see the lights in the dash on again...

i think i have the same battery, cost about £70 and had to get special order to get the terminals the right way round.

isn't there anyone you can get a jump start from!

remember red to red, black to black and connect the bllack first to establish the ground path.

Turbo_Steve
01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes, short runs mean the battery has to do a big discharge to start the car, and never builds it back up as the engine only trickle charges it.
Fully discharging (or 'deep cycling') a starter battery will kill it in no time...5 or 6 complete discharges is enough to kill a battery permanently.