PDA

View Full Version : Does the VR4 have Bilstein shock as standard?

Nice But
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
While I was having the tyres changed today I was looking under the car and noticed the shocks were Bilsteins.

Are these standard on a 96/7? If not, they were a nice find, just need some lowering springs......./rally

White Lightning
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Definately not standard. The standard shocks are Mitsubishi (and are stamped as such).

Good find :afro:

Nice But
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
:bananadan Yay....something for nothing.

Now drop the ride height a tad.... /rally Mmmmmmm/Hmmm

Kieran
01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Tim, if they're black, they're Bilstein B4 OEM-spec shocks.

If they're yellow, they'll be Bilstein B6 Sport shocks (uprated damping).

If it's lowered, they *might*, though it's unlikely, be Bilstein B8s, which have the same valving as B6s, but they're factory shortened.

The original Mitsubishi shocks, despite having mitsubishi part numbers, are made by KYB - the KYB number is stamped onto them if you clean them up and take a look.:scholar:

Nice But
02-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Cheers K

They're yellow ones, I don't think they are lowering ones. I might just drop some Tein springs on it until I can afford the super wagon's and EDFC.

They look like thy've been on th car since new, I'll have a look when I have the wheels off again to swap the pads. It was a nice suprise, I don't want to stiffen up the ride to much, as the KYB's I've got on my MX5 rattle my fillings. I was thinking of going down the road of stiffer and adjustable ARB's with lowered springs to reduce the body roll etc.

I must stop thinking..... it costs me money /pan the idea of buying the leggy was to free up money I've got tied up to do the work on my house :evilgrin: it is nice to have a lovely and individual car though/pan

White Lightning
02-02-2008, 02:49 PM
The original Mitsubishi shocks, despite having mitsubishi part numbers, are made by KYB - the KYB number is stamped onto them if you clean them up and take a look.:scholar:

Yes, sorry Kieran is right. The standard shocks are made by KYB. It's just that they are stamped with the Mitsubishi part number ... that was where I was getting confused ...

CANDEE
04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Tim, if they're black, they're Bilstein B4 OEM-spec shocks.

If they're yellow, they'll be Bilstein B6 Sport shocks (uprated damping).

If it's lowered, they *might*, though it's unlikely, be Bilstein B8s, which have the same valving as B6s, but they're factory shortened.

Hey Kieran do know if both the B6 and B8's are available for the leggies? I keep getting told that I cant get B8's :(

Kieran
04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey Kieran do know if both the B6 and B8's are available for the leggies? I keep getting told that I cant get B8's :(

They are indeed! I have a set fitted to mine. :scholar:

Part numbers for both B6 and B8 shocks to be found here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18061

Nicky123
09-03-2009, 01:22 AM
BUMP.

What is the price indication fro the Bilstein B6 shocks. UK and NZ please?

I have had them fitted, but I dont wat to say how much I paid yet, as every time, I mean every time I tell someone I have had some work done, they say, "You should have said, Ive got a mate/brother/cousin who could get those for half of that".

Real improvement to ride quality and handling, highly recommended upgrade.