PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions.

Mark 4
02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
A) I've been a bit lazy & not cleaned the wheels for a few weeks. Now I can't shift the damn muck for love nor money. Anyone know of a magical product that I should be using ? (Other than elbow grease).

B) Does anyone know wher I can get stainless door cills ?

Cheers Guys.

psbarham
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
i had the same problem today, i havn't hand washed mine for 2 months now, so the crud was a tad tough, i ended up pinching the missus's oven cleaner, which as it turns out is as near as damn it nitromorse for girls, so i daredn't leave it long, but it did work well

Nick Mann
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Wonder Wheels is good, but potent. Don't leave it on for long!

I guess you are talking about the kick plates at the bottom of the door frame? I think The Vee bought some a few years back, but I can't remember where from.

Mark 4
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea, them's the ones Nick, anybody know ?

Nick Mann
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4688

I'm a genius! All relevant info is in that thread, I think.

(Oh, and sorry, Mark, but I'm not a genius when it comes to posting your G-tech back. I promise I'll sort it out.)

Beastlee
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I had the stainless plates on the last VR4 I'd love to fit them again as they just add that little bit of class. I must get some genuine rear mats too and the stainless strip on the boot!

Mark 4
03-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Cheers Nick.

HMG1K
04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I found this thread of interest - the door entry guards - as I've been thinking of getting these for a while... I've rung up Mitsubishi and they are now...

Wait for it...!!!

£240 + VAT !!!!

OUCH !!!!!

Beastlee
04-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Ok, so it's £240+VAT, but is that really a rip off price? They are new, stainless steel and genuine parts. How many times have you spent far more on a spoiler or bumper or other asthtic mod.... I mean even wheels are a lot considering most will reduce the performance of your car.

HMG1K
04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, so it's £240+VAT, but is that really a rip off price? They are new, stainless steel and genuine parts. How many times have you spent far more on a spoiler or bumper or other asthtic mod.... I mean even wheels are a lot considering most will reduce the performance of your car.

Totally understand - but from the point of view that these items would have been mass produced (not by Mitsubishi but by an external firm that makes OEMs for loads of other companies) by the thousands and they'd have been, at cost, tops of a £5 each - so £20 for the set, then that is wide of the mark...

I could swallow (just about) the £178 + VAT quoted in the other thread linked to this - but where does an accessory that is no longer in production (the part number now ends in 'EX') rack up an additional price of nearly £70 in two years for sitting on a shelf...?!

Surely as Galants are no longer in production, and people who'd have bought these extras in the first year of buying the car new would have bought them by now, shows that no one is going to buy them - especially at that increase in price!

I say this on all accessory parts that are excluive to a particular car and sold by a main dealer, across the board. These scuff plates are sitting at Colt and need ordering in - they are dead stock and dead money unless they are priced accordingly and sold on - even at cost!

Oh, and don't even get me started :evilgrin: on dealers STILL quoting punters a "plus VAT" price when they know it's a private buy - but say it just to make the already inflated price a tiny bit more attractive!

I step down from my soap box and straighten my tie, and brush down the dust from my suit! :pimp2:

miller
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
True, thats a lot of dough, i too would like the cill plates to match the rear bumper plate already installed! But at that price...noooooooo maybe its time to seek some plate makers

Mike

HMG1K
04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
True, thats a lot of dough, i too would like the cill plates to match the rear bumper plate already installed! But at that price...noooooooo maybe its time to seek some plate makers

Mike

Keep me posted! I tried last night after reading this thread - I searched and searched and the closest I got was some metal-like sticky plates you stick over the current plastic parts... YUCK! :speechles It was on eBay from the other side of the world...

Not even JapanParts.com have them... But then they are more engine / bumpers than that kind of accessory...

I guess the only way would be if Colt have a clearout at Cirencester of old parts - but then it's not something I've ever seen publicised or at dealers!

Mark 4
04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok then, my local dealer is pretty good, so who's up for a group buy ?

HMG1K
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously! Me! Keep me posted on how much...!

Remember, the part number ends in EX now - so they are an obsolete item, so your dealer may even get a deal itself from Colt for taking a stack load of dead stock off its hands!

Beastlee
04-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I may have an interest depending on what they come in at. I did like them on the old car.

Kieran
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I have the kickplates in the doors, but I'm missing the strip from the rear bumper - if they're available, I'll 'ave one!!:afro:

miller
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
if the price is right im in!

Mike

HMG1K
21-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok then, my local dealer is pretty good, so who's up for a group buy ?

Mark... Did you get anywhere with prices for a group buy...?

Everybody - or rather Estate / Legnum owners - here's a chrome rear plate up on eBay... you lucky things! :speechles :speechles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-ESTATE-REAR-STEP-BOARD-COVER_W0QQitemZ120224356513QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1040 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mark 4
22-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry guys, hadn't realised there was so much interest. I'll investigate and post up later today.

Mark 4
22-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Right, Mz526847, current retail is £204, price to us, £160. Didn't ask but I assume that VAT has to be added. There are 3 sets available, obviously I am having the fist set so first 2 peeps to PM me will get the other 2. If there are more interested then still let me know and I'll see what can be done.
Cheers
Mark.

Beastlee
22-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry but with the build quality(little rubber edging falls off very easily!) I just can't justify buying them, I'll wait out on a second hand set. (Yes I know it seems cotradictory to what I said above but I was being relative at the time, still too much for me ;))

Kieran
22-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I can't believe you posted the link to that Damn plate!! I was hoping no-one would notice!! /Grrr

A thousand curses! :veryangry

Kieran
22-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Just out of interest I called Mitsutwitty just now to see what a new one would cost.... £121 PLUS VAT!!:speechles

Throbbe
23-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Meguiars Wheel Brightener appears to be liquid evil if you can get hold of it. Shifts anything, but use with caution and don't let it near chrome or polished metal.

Look for a product called Virosol. It's a commercial general purpose cleaner, pretty cheap and works well for degreasing and the like. I usually start with a 20:1 dilution and get stronger as the job demands. Makes a good oven cleaner too. :inquisiti

HMG1K
23-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I can't believe you posted the link to that Damn plate!! I was hoping no-one would notice!! /Grrr

A thousand curses! :veryangry

Opps! Sorry K ! /pan

Be rest assured I'm not bidding on it.

HMG1K
23-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Just out of interest I called Mitsutwitty just now to see what a new one would cost.... £121 PLUS VAT!!:speechles

Are those ones actually available and in stock - as they are a favourable price...

Wodjno
23-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry but with the build quality(little rubber edging falls off very easily!) I just can't justify buying them, I'll wait out on a second hand set. (Yes I know it seems cotradictory to what I said above but I was being relative at the time, still too much for me ;))

I contacted a bloke in Japan a month ago who had some on Ebay, but they had already sold. He is going to contact me as soon as he gets anymore. i will post up on site as soon as he contacts me..

Beastlee
23-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I bid on it but was immediately outbid.

Beastlee
23-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Now I'm the high bidder, LOL

If I can get it then I don't have to keep lifiting the dog ina nd out of the boot all the time, he can make his own way in!

Turbo_Steve
23-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Whoever wins it (Lee I reckon...he sounds determined!) I suggest a brief trip to your local fabricator prior to fitting! Get them to make you 5 copies for a sensible price and watch club members rip your arm off (myself included).

stuartturbo
23-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Oddly I did notice the auction
I have made one out off a price of stainless steel checker plate( made a paper template foled in have to ensure both sides matched equal
The brought a pucker one from japan probably off the same Ebay member wodjo is on about

Beastlee
24-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Whoever wins it (Lee I reckon...he sounds determined!) I suggest a brief trip to your local fabricator prior to fitting! Get them to make you 5 copies for a sensible price and watch club members rip your arm off (myself included).

I've already been outbid by an eBay Power Seller, who recently from Roger Rally actually, and we decided we wouldn't spend more than £50 on it. I'm buying alots of small items at the moment and the cost is mounting in total. I can't really justify it as the bumper has, by a previous owner, been fibreglassed and resprayed to a poor standard and the corner now has a crack too. I may as well just let the paintwork get scratched and replace the bumper when I find something suitable (perhaps froma bodykit).

If I were in the UK I may have continued to bid, especially if there were a few members who would go for replicas taken from this part.

Wodjno
24-02-2008, 12:16 PM
The brought a pucker one from japan probably off the same Ebay member wodjo is on about

Nope.. Different Member :)