PDA

View Full Version : Custom 3inch Exhaust

Paul C
03-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Having been dissapointed by the last custom exhaust i got made i thought i would have a crack at my own.
The exhaust i got made previously was a 2.5 inch stainless which cost over £400.
The component parts for this project have cost £226.
Although I only have about 4 hours welding experience I thought i would give it ago.
To be honest I am glad i did because compared to the alleged professional job on the old exhaust I dont think mine looks to bad.

pungatree1
03-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Looking good - love the little stands and the block of wood holding the exhaust in the last pic - guess you need to make do with what you have handy when doing it all by yourself at home! Will be keen to see it when its finished.

Ryan
03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I think that is a pretty damn good effort there man... /GJ

Nick Mann
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Feck! Looks shiney! Always good, that. It also looks like it is going to be LOUD! You'll need a couple of in-line silencers to make it quieter. Or is loud what you want?

Out of interest, what did you not like about the previous exhaust, and what are you doing about it on this one?

Paul C
03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I got the silences taken out of the 2.5inch and wasn't too bad so i hope the 3 inch isn't much worse.Its tough anyway once its on thats it. Only the flange to put on now but i've ran out of argon. i should be able to sort that next week.
The old one is in the first picture and i'm not happy with the build quality so its the perfect oppurtunity to upgrade in preperation for new downpipes.

Turbo_Steve
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Ohhh...where did you get the bits for that price!? And, in fact, could you post a shopping list? :D I think quite a few people would be eternally grateful!

Louis
03-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice job, I'm also interested in a list of bits. I have been collecting 2.5inch pieces, but a list of bends would be useful, have spome rep, cheers Louis

Paul C
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Some pics comparing mine against the one i paid for. In my own opinion you could be confused by which one is the professional job.They really bodged the exhaust when they made it. It was due to go back but they went into liquation, lookerly for us.

Material List:

3m x 76mm od 304 grade polished stainless
4 x 76mm 45 dgr bends
1 x 16" back box
1 x exhaust tip (didn't measure outlet just liked the look)

Total £226 inc vat

I could of replaced the 2 x 45's with a 90, bare in mind you need to avoid the rear jacking point, Mine sits in between the diff and jacking point but with the 90 and small extension you go the other side closest to rear ( This would work out cheaper).Also 2 x 30 degree bends would of been useful. it was a nightmare hacksawing the angles for the piece befor the back box. I salvaged the 2.5" flange from the old exhaust and bored out to 3" using an internal rotor bear.This allows for easy fitment to orignal system. I also used the hangers from old system and picked up the original rubbers.

Paul C
03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Just to add the components were purchased from Exhaust - A -fix in Darlington, i will source the number if required. They also make custom to a high standard. They had a silver vr4 in a few weeks/months ago and fitted it with 3" cat-back. "They remembered it as it sounded awesome."

Paul C
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Looking good - love the little stands and the block of wood holding the exhaust in the last pic - guess you need to make do with what you have handy when doing it all by yourself at home! Will be keen to see it when its finished.
The jack with the weight on top is as bout as much use as a chocolate fire guard. i think the exhaust is holding the weight up not the other way around. They did come in hand to line everything up.One set of hands isn't enough.

Paul C
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
still not 100% finished but welded the flange on today and fitted. Due to heat distortion the final position of the back box altered. When i tightened the joint bolts up this pulled the back box to one side. Everything else was ok and i could help but go for a blast.Under heavy acceleration the sound is awesome and it is bearable on cruise.Tomorrows job straighten back box.

Nick VR4
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Thats a very tight corner near the back box wont this cause flow restrictions :speechles:speechles

Paul C
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
it seems ok but i will be making it more of a slow bend tomorrow

Nick VR4
06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
it seems ok but i will be making it more of a slow bend tomorrow

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paul C
07-02-2008, 07:07 PM
The final pics. job complete could do with a bit of cosmetic welding in a few points but i need to rest from it. Nick vr4 you cost me £14.10 for a 90dg bend were do i invoice. To be honest you did me a favour as it motivated me to change it. The polished look has now expired thanks to a few puddles of mud but the sound is great glad i did it.Will post pics of the rear end when the lights better.Paul.