PDA

View Full Version : gearbox goosed?

shaun1978
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
well ive had my car a massive 3 days and now it just doesnt want to go anywhere when i put it into drive, occasionally it will move maybe 30 feet and is pretty noisy , any idea what this could be? i dont know if the warranty would cover this , im pretty miffed to be honest lol/Grrr /Grrr

jerryd_33
05-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi,
you checked your ATF?

Could be low or zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun1978
05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
yup, theres plenty in was my first suspicion but its fine .

bradc
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
sounds like it is time to take it to the warranty place

richy rich
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
sounds like it is time to take it to the warranty place
second that

Davezj
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
did you check the fluid when it was hot and run through all gears as if it filled cold to the max then it is well under/over filled (can't remember which) and this is bad either way.

shaun1978
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
yup done all that , its now with the garage who sold me it, just hoping they sort it out , i think its possibly the torque converter.

Nutter_John
05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
i know of a tip g'box and TC for sale , let me know if your in need and I will find out more about it

WildCards
05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Where did you buy it from Shaun?

Isn't there some sort of '7 day return' thing by law?

shaun1978
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I bought it from ebony and ivory in s****horpe. I dont want to return it , i just want it fixed , as long as they do i'll be happy.

Nick Mann
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Bad reviews of E&I are uncommon. Lets hope they keep it that way!

Good luck. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Davezj
05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
i know of a tip g'box and TC for sale , let me know if your in need and I will find out more about it

pm me and tell me more about this rear box and TC.

shaun1978
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
oh well I'm now waiting for parts from japan , apparently a circlip holding the 1st and reverse gears on gave up .... hmmm how the hell did that happen?

Kieran
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
oh well I'm now waiting for parts from japan , apparently a circlip holding the 1st and reverse gears on gave up .... hmmm how the hell did that happen?

I think have heard of that on here before - Years ago!! I think it happened to Legnum Boy?? but he's long since parted company with us.... Either way.... a very odd and almost unheard of fault!

Where's the transmission being rebuilt? do you know?

shaun1978
10-02-2008, 10:37 PM
e&i are doing it i presume , i know the box isnt off the car.

Nutter_John
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
so if the box isn't off the car how do they know what has gone wrong inside the g'box ???

shaun1978
12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure, I'm presuming there is a plate on the bottom of it as usual on an autobox, beyond that I'm stumped. Apparently as a worse case scenario it will take 2 weeks for the parts to arrive from mitsubishi. They did tell me the parts have to come from norway first but to be honest that sounds like bull to me , but who knows?

Nutter_John
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
As far as I remember there is no inspection plate on the auto box , I'm picking one up tomorrow so will have a look and see .

But it does sound very iffy to me

Nick Mann
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
There is a plate on the side of the box, looking at the passenger wheel, that can be removed. I haven't tried it on the car, but it is only held on with a dozen or so 10mm bolts. That gives direct access to solenoids and IIRC a small amount of view into the gearbox proper.

Eurospec
14-02-2008, 01:20 AM
I would have thought that the locking circlips etc would have come off of the main shaft. I dont know, but i wouldnt fancy taking an auto box apart, it will almost certainly not be accessable without a complete strip of the box, so box right out of the car.

Good on them for standing by the car though. I dont think they do their own mechanical work- this may be why its all a bit confused as to what they are gonna do- they may not know themslves.

Cheers,

Ben.

shaun1978
18-02-2008, 04:21 PM
rung them up today and all i got was they are waiting for the parts to be manufactured and then sent to japan and then sent here , which to me sounds dodgy , by the end of this itd surely cost them far too much , the cars been there 2 weeks now and i just keep getting the same answer....... not happy. if i'd of known it was going to be this much trouble.... id of told them to keep it and gone somewhere else for one, i mean i only had the car for 3 days before it went.

Nutter_John
18-02-2008, 06:21 PM
request a full refund under the sale of goods act , they have not provided you with a car that is fit for purpose , nor have they offered you a replacemnet

Have a look on the web for the sale of goods act but the law is on your side , you have not had the car that long and to have to wait 6 weeks plus is no good

thecustomer
18-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I think have heard of that on here before - Years ago!! I think it happened to Legnum Boy?? but he's long since parted company with us.... Either way.... a very odd and almost unheard of fault!

Where's the transmission being rebuilt? do you know?

that was what fu'bard my box

maybe it's not such a rare fault

:speechles :inquisiti

Kieran
18-02-2008, 09:44 PM
that was what fu'bard my box

maybe it's not such a rare fault

:speechles :inquisiti

Didn't realise you'd had a gearbox go pop! Did newera cover it?:inquisiti

shaun1978
21-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry about banging on about this but what would you class as a reasonable amount of time to get this sorted? im fed up of hearing nothing from them, i know this will be the first and last car from them.

miller
21-02-2008, 10:56 PM
A reasonable amount of time passed ages ago considering you had the car only three days.

Id be hopping off them for my money back

My opinion though

Mike

edit: have they given you a replacement car of equal stature in the meantime?

Nutter_John
21-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I would say double the length of time you had the day , so say six days is reasonable .

As Mike says have they loaned you a car whilst yours is being fixed , and is that car of equal status

About 8 years ago a freind had a fiat coupe 20v , it keep going wrong and was always in the garage being fixed , anyway the last time it was in there they gave him a cheap ****ty punto to use , his car was in for 7 weeks waiting for parts , I told him to phone them up and demand that they provide him a car to the same value and performance that the car they have in for repair ( this was all under warranty ) , they argued the toss with him for a day or two until him sent a letter to the MD of the dealership and sent a copy to the local newspaper , the motoring press etc etc , with two hours they had loaned him a BMW 320i and his was repair within 4 days .

Think the sad thing here for you is that you only had the car for three days and have gotten zero value out of it , it may be worth just telling em you want the money abck or another vr4 from them

shaun1978
21-02-2008, 11:23 PM
theyve not offered the use of another car, and all i get is it gets fixed when it gets fixed basically , they were all to happy for me to buy it and for them to get it out but their aftersales and attitude is W**k. It basically feels like i've just thrown the 4k down the swannee

Nutter_John
21-02-2008, 11:27 PM
speak with trading standards tomorrow and see what they think , I do think you have been very very patient with E&I , it would probably been cheaper for them to just get a second hand box and fit that .

shaun1978
21-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Thats exactly what i was thinking and i know where theres at least one not 30 mins away.

miller
21-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Go for it Shaun, Ring E & I and tell them your on the way to collect your money + interest then detour and look at the VR4 thats 30 mins away.

Mike

shaun1978
22-02-2008, 07:17 PM
WELL after much effing and jeffing with them this morning i've convinced them to put another box in it and it should be ready by wednesday. Its a bit of a bugger when you've had to source the gearbox for them though ffs.

Nice But
22-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Hope it all goes well Shaun........

I got mine from them, they could have taken the box out the blue one they've got as no one will ever buy it as it has been bent big style - roof ripple and N/S door gap is way out.

So that means their 3 month warranty is a load of old tat then /pan

Nutter_John
22-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice one shaun , sounds like you pressure has put them on the right track

Tis good that they worked with you to find a solution rather than tell you to foff

shaun1978
22-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Hope it all goes well Shaun........

I got mine from them, they could have taken the box out the blue one they've got as no one will ever buy it as it has been bent big style - roof ripple and N/S door gap is way out.

So that means their 3 month warranty is a load of old tat then /pan

yeah i just noticed your reg is one number different lol

shaun1978
29-02-2008, 11:49 PM
well the gearbox is done but they havent done what it was originally going in for - the brakes, to me now they just come across as a bunch of cowboys ,sorry if anyone else has had it good with them but im disgusted, I'm not gonna take it back for this 'cos a friend of mine knows that all they do is get them skimmed and to be honest i dont want them skimming , i want new discs, and i was looking at upgrading anyway.
On reflection I had been previously warned about them before I bought the car from them, but I thought they maybe werent so bad, NOW i wish i had listened. To be honest the service they were supposed to have given it looks to just amount to an oil change.

Kieran
01-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Oh dear. Interesting that you've been warned of them from other quarters too.... Not good at all! :inquisiti

Davezj
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
and they have probably put crap oil the engine as well. check the oil on the dipstick it shoud be stupidly thin, and only the thinest of coatings, if it is a 0w-30 oil as should be in a VR4.

Nice But
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear your sorted, finally. I need new disks on mine as they're warped to feck, the O/S front now has a sticking caliper as well...... tomorrows job.

TBH, Nick and I have just changed the auto fluid, AYC and clutches. All of it was dirty but looked like it had been changed recently. Now it's all Amsoiled up and the shifts are sweet...... lost the jerk when cold.

I was under no illusions when I bought it, so treated it as a private sale, I live 150 miles away so if it broke I certainly wasn't going to have it trailered that far............ good that your sorted though, don't let it taint ownership of the car though as they're awesome.

The engine/trans box and diff oil on mine will be changed next weekend after an Amsoil flush, I then know that all the fluids have been changed to the correct grade. So get in and drive and enjoy /rally