PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used this?

gee118
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Wondering if this would help my MPG at all.
Anyone know this stuff?

http://www.broquet.co.uk/

Nick Mann
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
It's a new one on me. There is a completely unscientific thing that says running the fuel between magnets helps, too.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but I am always suspicious of big claims with no simple and reasonable explanation. What is it doing? How is it doing it? Why is it that something good for engines not designed for unleaded, is also good for modern performance turbo'd stuff with catalytic convertors?

elnevio
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Car Bibles is always a great place for info - here's the bit regarding 'mpg improvers'...

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible_pg3.html

Although the Broquet product is not mentioned - well, read it and you'll get the general idea!

Kieran
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Without googling to confirm, I think this particular product is one of those that uses tin - claiming that the tin somehow improves octane or something.....

:inquisiti

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Prodrive used them in the P1 to compensate for poorer UK fuelling. Essentially it's meant to be a fuel catalyst, it changes the properties of the fuel it comes into contact with.

It was also popular with German WW2 fighter planes.

Here's the rub: it's never been scientifically proven. The is empirical evenidence that it DOES work, as conducted by several car manufacturers. Unfortunately, the circumstances it works in are not consistant, as it needs specific temperature and flow charecteristics to deliver.

It DOESN'T change the octane rating of the fuel, however it CAN reduce the calorific value but improve detonation resistance.

It's not really worth it.

K, it uses tin, lead and two alloys. The chemistry behind the process is totally beyond me (and the manufacturer!) but I was privy to a "commercially sensitive" conversation whereby it had been studied in depth, and, although the principal worked, it simply wasn't worth the research investment for such marginal benefits.

Conclude from that what you will, but I would much rather spend my money on a software fix than something as vague as this.