PDA

View Full Version : Caliper question.

big Pete
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Just a quicky peeps, but are the pre-facelift front calipers the same as the evo4, like the hub carriers? ( for pad replacement)

Going to be sorting brakes out next week or so, as the MOT is due at the end of the month!

If anyone could tell me what the score is, i woul be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Pete:happy:

Kieran
06-02-2008, 09:17 PM
For pad replacement - Yes.:happy:

Nick Mann
06-02-2008, 11:41 PM
The calipers are the same, but the bolt spacing is not, so you can't change the caliper from one car to the other.

But as Kieran says, for pads (and indeed discs) they are completely interchangeable.

psbarham
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
effectively the 2 rusty nuts are correct, but also sooooooo wrong, the callipers them selves are identical, its the carriers that are different, if you find some cheap evo 4 callipers on the mlr grab them coz they will fit

Nick Mann
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
effectively the 2 rusty nuts are correct, but also sooooooo wrong, the callipers them selves are identical, its the carriers that are different, if you find some cheap evo 4 callipers on the mlr grab them coz they will fit

How can the bolt spacing be different on the carrier and not on the caliper? /pan

The Evo 4 can take Brembos as a bolt on upgrade? So therefore, the Evo 4 has the same bolt spacing as the later Evos and the facelift VR4.

psbarham
07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
How can the bolt spacing be different on the carrier and not on the caliper? /pan

The Evo 4 can take Brembos as a bolt on upgrade? So therefore, the Evo 4 has the same bolt spacing as the later Evos and the facelift VR4.

the caliper carriers not the hub carriers /pan you know the funny bent bit of cast that the caliper (the heavy bit with 2 pistons in it :thinking: ) slides about in /pan /pan

Kieran
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
But the caliper carrier IS the bit that bolts to the hub Paul? If the spacing on that was the same, brembos on pre-facelifts wouldn't be such a faff?

psbarham
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
But the caliper carrier IS the bit that bolts to the hub Paul? If the spacing on that was the same, brembos on pre-facelifts wouldn't be such a faff?
i know the spacing is different, the caliper (squeezy disc bit with the pistons in it)will fit but the carrier won't so if you get some evo 4 ones you have to throw the evo caliper carriers away and use the galant ones

big Pete
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Er, thanks guy's.

Carry on, I liked the" squeezy brake bit"LOL

pete

Nick Mann
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
But aren't the Evo 4 ones the same as the VR4 ones? (Excepting hole spacing on the not-so-squeezy brake carrier thingy.) So why are Evo 4 brakes any better than VR4 ones?

psbarham
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
they arn't they are identical(well the squeezy disc bit is) its just that the evo 4 ones turn up more often and cheaper than vr4 ones do