PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt

valleyforge1
07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Resently I had the Valve timing belt, balancer belt, drive belt and gate belt replaced on my sport. The job was done and i got the car back. On the night I got it back I notioned it wasnt quiet right.

I took it for a spin on sunday. On accelarating up a hill, of which I get up in 3rd quite easily, I noticed a power loss and what I can only describe as a loud vibrating sound from under the bonnet. I returned the car to have it checked out./Grrr

All the belts where checked and nothing that the garage had done was found to be the cause of the problem.:2thumbsup

I was told that there was a possible miss fire on cylinder one. Things where checked out and as far as I know the coil packs where changed. :happy:

I picked the car up again and brought it back down the motorway.

The accelaration prob was better and the car seems to get up to speed but it still doesnt feel right, and the noise from the bonnet well:speechles

I really thought the exhaust was blowing, but this dosnt seem to be the problem.

This throaty NOISE happens threw the gear change up and gets so loud ,so quickly, that you are looking for the next gear a little to early.

The noise then starts to kick in good and proper at 73 mph and again, as far as iam concerned, should not be there. Its like it needs another gear to change up to.:sick2:

hope you can help. look foward to some good reading.

Cheers.The Forge

richy rich
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Have they got the timing mark's in the correct place.

If not it can miss fire like a pig or worse.

swinks
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Quite possible, they didn't block the balance shaft while belts changing by inserting a screwdriver into hole to block balance shaft. Very common garage fault due to japanese cars servicing. I'm afraid, your engine might be piece of sh**t right now.

richy rich
07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Yep that too, but it does sound like they have not done the job well,

valleyforge1
07-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Everything as far as I know, and ive been on the phone a few times, checks out.

All the timing is crrect and everything as been taken apart and re checked.

The guy does Japanese cars all the time and as a Legnum of his own.

I think taking back is not going to be any good so iam abit lost.

The Forge.

Kieran
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
To add to this - Keith Called me about this last night. He took it to Mitsiland (http://www.mitsiland.co.uk/ ), same place that Isaac did and so I'm reasonably sure that the belts have been done correctly.

I too initially suggested balancer shaft out of phase.... Only other suspicion is crank or cam sensors have been knocked slightly out, or that there is a misfire. From what Keith described, it sounds similar to Adrian (G6ACB)'s problems which started when his car went in for a cambelt.

Thing that complicates it for me is this.... To my ear, Adrian's car sounded okay - just the same as my old GLS. As did Isaac's. However when Isaac took his GLS to Mitsiland they found that his balancer belt had snapped!:speechles

valleyforge1
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
cheers Kieran

Eurospec
08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
If the balancer belt is snapped, or off, or out by the 180 then you will know about it instantly. The car will actually run fine, but it will feel as lumpy as hell.

Had this on an evo 4 once, it felt like a miss, but it wasnt one. It was more a vibration you felt than anything else.

That might help you rule out the balancer belt maybe?

Cheers,

Ben.

ianturbo
08-02-2008, 12:54 AM
It weren't like that when it went in so.......:thinking:

I-S
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
When I had my GLS's cambelt changed at mitsiland, as kieran said they found that the balancer belt was snapped. They showed me the broken belt and it really did look new - it had broken shortly after being fitted, probably before I owned the car.

Mitsiland know what they're doing when it comes to mitsubishis - oddly enough. After my balancer and cam belt were replaced my GLS was fine, although the balancer didn't make as much difference as you might think - robbed a bit of low end torque but smoother at the top end and a bit keener to rev.

Was the oil changed at the same time?

valleyforge1
11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
It does seem egear to go up quickly through the gear changes.

Standing start; a couple of seconds, MAYBE TOPS, then into second, same again into third and so on and so on.

Darnt change down to quick as it revs the f**k out of it.

Took it on a run yesterday got it to 73, in comes the rumbling vibaration.

Iam sorry its not right, its pissing me off, but if I go back to Mitsiland Ill get told theres nothing wrong with it.

90mph and it sounds/Grrr Iam no mechanic but its not right.

I-S
11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Phone Rob up and talk to him. Tell him that there is something wrong and has been since he did the work and that you want him to take a look, take him out in the car and explain what the problem is when it occurs.

valleyforge1
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I know what your saying Isaac and believe me if it was a local garage ,that i could get to easily ,I would not stop till the job got done but, being in Manchester its not a case of nip out at dinner.

I will see how it goes and ill have to go over one saturday.

valleyforge1
26-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Ok shes going back in. Talked to Rob and , well we,ll see