PDA

View Full Version : Twin Paint codes

miller
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok so i had my car in today for a paint touch up to a number of scuffs collected by previous owners.

I got a call this morning from the paint dude asking which codes he should follow as there was two references!

A71 Hamilton Silver
A75 Thurston Grey

The fact that these numbers are shown on the VIN as a complete sequence is strange.

Has anyone else come across this?

John and i figured that the second reference must be the internal colour, the job is done and looks good in Hamilton Silver....lucky enough we chose the right one!

Is this true that the internal colour would be stamped on the VIN plate, and not by some weird twist Mitsi introduced a two tone paint scheme?

The engine bay is probably Thurston Grey or more an undercoat colour.

See VIN pic below edited to remove chassis details.

Mike

swinks
08-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd go for A71.
My Galant EA3A has: A71B3 which is of course A71. I had the same problem a year ago, while my bumper painting. I wasn't sure if A71 is exactly same same as my A71B3, but it is. Always, you may ask for any samples in paint shop.

miller
08-02-2008, 06:04 PM
yes but A71 and A75 are both Mitsi recognised/published paint codes and why would they both be stamped on the plate?

Mike

swinks
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Maybe A71A75 should go: A71 (paint) plus A75 (factory, exterior trims, and so on...). As said, try with sample.
BTW: check there:
http://www.paints4u.com/productsByCat.aspx?MainCategoryID=6&Mainselection=22&SubCategoryID=42&Subselection=0
or this:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=2001-mitsubishi-pg01.jpg
Second one shows massive difference between silvers...

Nick Mann
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I have never heard of a Galant being Thurston grey. Hamilton is the normal silver, with some facelifts being Satellite (A69).

I think you could be right with the engine bay guess.

Nutter_John
08-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Yep does match ok , saw the car tonight , done a good job

The Vee
09-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I have never heard of a Galant being Thurston grey. Hamilton is the normal silver, with some facelifts being Satellite (A69).

I think you could be right with the engine bay guess.

Seem to have some recallection of the under bonnet colour being the same but without the metallic or pearlescent, hence the different code / name. Not important here now as the job is done but *may* explain the two codes.

swinks
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Still it's a bit strange. MMC used to paint same colour engine bay and exterior body. Just engine bay is painted with ultra matt-sandy shade. It may look different but it's the same colour.
A75 colour is much darker shade of silver/grey used in Shoguns and L200 Warriors, i guess.

miller
09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Can anyone else with a silver car confirm their paint codes?

ie is it twin references or one?

Would like to put this quandry to bed

Mike

miller
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Right beware silver car owners, at JAE you may find me under your bonnet:pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2: :pimp2:

:scholar:

Mike

pitslayer
11-02-2008, 12:00 PM
your car is hamilton silver. the thruston grey will be the rest of the car like the wheels etc :)

miller
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-color-online/m1frameset.php

A very useful site i think for paint codes, their applications and also mixing quantities

Mike

HMG1K
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-color-online/m1frameset.php

A very useful site i think for paint codes, their applications and also mixing quantities

Mike

Not that I've (thankfully) had any use for such a paint code hassle - but Miller, great find !

Have a 'reputation' from me! :pimp2:

shaun1978
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
When i had my car painted last month i was told there was 4 or 5 different shades of hamilton silver , is this to match it up as it ages?

AncientOfMu
02-09-2008, 03:10 PM
When i had my car painted last month i was told there was 4 or 5 different shades of hamilton silver , is this to match it up as it ages?

No its because of the time differences and batches of paint mitsi mixed up to paint the cars at different times.

When I had my X08 Pyrenees Black bumper and grill resprayed there were 3 or 4 different swatches of colour which they matched to my car.

Differing colours and amounts of flake etc.

Dom B
20-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I got some X08 Pyrenees black mixed up and some of the swatch variations had large amounts of blue in them. Tricky finding out which one is exactly right.

HPRULZ
20-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Thread from the dead?

o yeah and mines just A71 on the vin plate

bradc
20-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Heh, so far you're all wrong!

Thurston Grey is the dark grey on some twin tone cars from factory on the lower parts of the body. One of the Red VR-4's in the UK is Palma Red and Thurston Grey, I think it is the guy with the Alpina B10 (sorry forgotten his name)

Now Mike's car obviously doesn't have the grey on it any more, I'm guessing the side skirts and other low body parts have been resprayed, or the car was crashed at some point and those parts replaced or whatever.

I'll have some rep thanks Mike - you owe me :)

HMG1K
20-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I got some X08 Pyrenees black mixed up and some of the swatch variations had large amounts of blue in them. Tricky finding out which one is exactly right.

My Pyrenees Black has green flakes in it - I've heard about the blue ones too in this colour.

Atik
20-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I think my Hamilton Silver Legnum has green flakes in it! Or Wodj thought it did when he saw my car. It definitely has a green tinger to it